Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    No a CMOS reset won't help with a mobo refusing to even power on.

CMOS-clearing is just something which resets the motherboard to factory defaults and clears all settings/memory, it helps with fixing some issues related to instability/compability/etc.
    I was talking about just having the jumper in the the default place/position and not actually attempting to do a cmos reset. Obviously the board doesn't turn on so that won't help anything.

I have a gigabyte motherboard myself and I'm pretty experienced. Having the jumper in the clear cmos position or not having the jumper at all as it should be will prevent the board from powering on.

But I'm assuming he didn't touch that jumper so we'll rule that out.

I've just connected the new mobo outside of the case. The only connectors I had in were the power button, 24 pin, CPU connector and one piece of ram. It did not respond ..

Where is that jumper and how should it be, I want to be sure...
    Last edited by aevitas; 2012-08-30 at 11:35 PM.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    It's the two pins above your speaker connector, according to your manual open is normal and short is reset, and based off your pic it's open, so it should be ok.

I've just connected the new mobo outside of the case. The only connectors I had in were the power button, 24 pin, CPU connector and one piece of ram. It did not respond ..

Now that youve tried the board outside of the case with just the PSU hooked up. Its probably safe to say get the RMA process going.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Right so that's what those 2 are for... Haha..

Now that theres nothing left to try (I guess...?) how can I safely store my processor without killing it ? I saw that the gray-ish stuff was already all over it, wont it be kind of problematic to take it out now?
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

The gray-ish stuff is thermal paste, and it should hold the CPU and heat sink together quite well. Honestly I'd just leave them stuck together, assuming you have an anti-static bag big enough to keep the whole thing in. If you separate them there's a decent chance you'll need to apply new paste later.

The only other thing I can think of is try with another power supply if you can get one temporarily for testing purposes. Does it make much sense that a PSU would work with one mobo and not another? Not really, but I've seen stranger things happen.
    Last edited by DFLX; 2012-08-30 at 11:53 PM.

Right so that's what those 2 are for... Haha..

Now that theres nothing left to try (I guess...?) how can I safely store my processor without killing it ? I saw that the gray-ish stuff was already all over it, wont it be kind of problematic to take it out now?

First clean the thermal paste off the processor and heatsink using paper towel and rubbing alcohol (don't pour rubbing alcohol onto your hardware just put some on the paper towel and gently wipe away the thermal grease) until it's clean. Let the processor and heatsink dry off for a few minutes before taking out the cpu from the socket. Try not to get thermal paste on your clothes/skin.

Sucks that u have a bad motherboard but it happens. Just because something's new doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work. Maybe your next motherboard will work without a problem.

Don't let a faulty mb prevent u from building your pc. Stuff like this can happen to other devices too.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-08-30 at 11:56 PM.

Shorting is when you use a piece of metal to connect two pins. You can use a screwdriver or a paper clip to do this.

According to your manual, short the two pins circled: http://i.imgur.com/kWudK.png

If you're going to store your CPU, I recommend placing it back into the little plastic holder it came in.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-08-31 at 12:01 AM.

I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and see what my options are. I really do think I'm going to take my PC with me and let them get it up and running, if I have to take all those things out once again I'll go nuts probably, lol.

I have no back-up PSU by the way...

Thanks for the amazing help!

Just for the future, alwasy test the MoBo before putting everything together. Use the method mentioned about using the bag it came in, plug in the psu and short the pins. If your psu fans dont kick on and you know its a working psu, bad board.