Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Grey hearts during combat aoe

What do these exactly indicate? Is it implying that an enemy or ally is triggering the effect, or that someone is using it w/ a combo?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cross-profession combos.

It means that fire wall you're shooting through is setting your arrows on fire, and thus applying Burning to the enemy.

Or else that the fire wall you put down is being shot through by an ally, and THEY are applying Burning to the enemy.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-30 at 08:47 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yup. If you mouse over your abilities, at the bottom you'll see and it will either say "Combo Field" and name what kind of field (dark, light, poisin, etc). OR, it will say "Finisher" and have the name of the finisher (blast, projectile, etc). If you use a finisher in a combo field, it creates a new effect.

Example:

If an Elemenalist throws down Ring of Fire and you shoot through it with your Ranger auto-attack, your attack then burns the enemy.

Its a very sexy and awesome system if you ask me.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

It's not really adequately explained by the game and a lot of the effects are not really all that impressive
    But it's nice that it's there

Coolest one is heartseeker through a flame wall and it gives you a flame shield thing that just looks awesome. Way cooler than fire arrows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It's not really adequately explained by the game and a lot of the effects are not really all that impressive
    But it's nice that it's there

If you read your abilitys then yes it is, and it also the wiki, game info, anet blogs, google.. even here in the Mass Info thread, perhaps research would help

As for the mechanic, another tick in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    If you read your abilitys then yes it is, and it also the wiki, game info, anet blogs, google.. even here in the Mass Info thread, perhaps research would help

As for the mechanic, another tick in the box.
    I think what Imnick means is that it's not explained very well in game, since "Combo Finisher: Leap" and "Combo Field: Dark" don't really tell you anything about how the whole system operates. Sure the resources you listed are there, but a system within the game should be explained... within the game.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, especially if properly sharpened and in the hands of a well trained ninja.

Seems like a nice idea in theory, but due to the zerg on PvE and WvWvW it's pretty much just random effects for using abilities at random times. In smaller dungeon settings I can see communication being better and people using them more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fortunately, you can always type /wiki in-game. It's the official information site!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    the in game /wiki is not "complete" I find... But a goole search solves this !

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Tada! It's a pretty nifty system. Sure, you can just spam the hell out of things, but I've done some pretty damn nifty things while playing my dual pistol eng with an elementalist, as it's fairly easy for me to do both projectile and blast finishers, and elementalists are just LOADED with combo fields.

I think my favorite is applying chilled to enemies with ease, because alone, I don't have a very simple way of doing that, at least not without switching something for a grenade kit, which I'm not interested in.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-08-31 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Tada! It's a pretty nifty system. Sure, you can just spam the hell out of things, but I've done some pretty damn nifty things while playing my dual pistol eng with an elementalist.
    I beat you to it with the first reply.

It took me some time to realize that, when I perform a combo, or somebody combos off me, my Norn says something like "I found a NEW way to win! FANTASTIC!"
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-31 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

It took me some time to realize that, when I perform a combo, or somebody combos off me, my Norn says something like "I found a NEW way to win! FANTASTIC!"
    I can't remember what my Charr says. >_>

I've done some pretty clutch things by throwing down a turret JUST to blow it up for a blast finisher, though. Or even dropping my supply crate elite for a blast finisher.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-08-31 at 12:24 AM.

Cross-profession combos.

It means that fire wall you're shooting through is setting your arrows on fire, and thus applying Burning to the enemy.

Or else that the fire wall you put down is being shot through by an ally, and THEY are applying Burning to the enemy.
    Or it means you've put down fire and then shot through it yourself and now burning on the enemy. ...It helps if you're a warrior, in this case. Big ol' puddle of fire + arrows = Profit. Or PoF, switch to rifle = bleeding and burning. Sexy. So sexy I switched to warrior. I like the feeling of being 'rewarded' if you will for handling my abilities well, and big floating gray hearts make me feel good.

What I am yet to figure out is how it handles overlapping combo fields.
    Do you get the effects of both? One at random? The first one you hit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achyra View Post
    Or it means you've put down fire and then shot through it yourself and now burning on the enemy.
    Covered by the first line. :P

You can only benefit from one combo field at a time. Pretty sure it would be random, but I have no idea.

I personally think that's stupid.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-31 at 12:47 AM.

I think it depends. For a blast finisher AoE (and possibly whirl, but maybe not), it should apply the effects of both, I think, but for a projectile or leap finisher, it will probably apply the last field that it went through before hitting the target. Though that may be difficult to pinpoint...

I could be totally wrong, naturally.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-08-31 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I think it depends. For a blast finisher AoE (and possibly whirl, but maybe not), it should apply the effects of both, I think, but for a projectile or leap finisher, it will probably apply the last field that it went through before hitting the target. Though that may be difficult to pinpoint...

I could be totally wrong, naturally.
    Directly from the wiki:

Finishers can only interact with one initiator at a time.

Directly from the wiki:
    Ah damn. I agree with your assessment that that's a bit silly, then. Getting multiple blast finisher aoes would be pretty sweet, and would really lend to being a bit more strategic with timing them.

10+ Year Old Account

My female human Guardian says something along the lines of "Lethal combination, I like it".
    Teleport in, drop a ring of fire, jump to get a flame shield, then turn into garen for a bit, spinning and throwing around flame bolts.
    Seems like fire is always picked over the holy/light field though, if I ever use the seal of wrath on my greatsword, while I'm also in a fire field, it'll always use the fire's effects.