Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am sorry, but all you saying that he got what he deserved and all the other people who did this also got what they deserve are not really thinking this through fully.

This is completely a fail on Anet's development team for not seeing this and allowing it on live. Its not like these people did some sort of hack, this was just people buying things from a vendor and doing 100% legitimate in-game stuff to them. These bans actually have a real-life cost of 60 bucks per ban for people who very well could not have known this was an exploit. Anet should have taken some other route than perma banning these accounts. Maybe they should have had better betas and found these kind of bugs before live.

Tbh if I seen a level 60 weapon for 21 karma I'd think it's some sort of starting weapon for higher levels and would of bought one ready >.<

watching his video of how to turn elementium into gems and vendor them in wow
    WoW is subscription based. By banning him, they lose a subscriber. GW2 doesn't have that overhead. You use an exploit and, on top of that, broadcast it, you will get banned. No real loss to Anet. Don't exploit and you won't get banned. Pretty simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    Waaait..

You buy items in a currency ("points") + you sell those items (or some of their outputs) for gold = exploit ?

What the heck ?

I call that "currency exchange rate", not "currency printing".
    There was a bug involved with the karma pricing of the weapons in the first place, that's how it became an exploit doing that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GameFreakRPG View Post
    Could anyone explain to me why a lot of people seem to think he deserved to be banned? Because to me it seems that Anet simply fucked up and are trying to cover their mistakes.
    They are just kissing up to Anet. The "exploit" is not an exploit. Anet knew it was there and what players could do to it. The fact he got perma banned and bots only for 72 hours, is a major **** up. And Anet is now trying to cover it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    Waaait..

You buy items in a currency ("points") + you sell those items (or some of their outputs) for gold = exploit ?

What the heck ?

I call that "currency exchange rate", not "currency printing".
    Selling for an exceptionally massive amount of gold, comparatively speaking, is the issue.

Imagine that you could get a stack of green gems on the WoW AH for, say, 20 gold, and then cut them and sell them back to a vendor for, say... 500 gold.

Or perhaps more accurately for a currency exchange, imagine you could exchange 15 justice points or so for a stack of those gems and sell them for 500 gold or more.

People were making humongous amounts of gold doing this. I've been HOARDING my gold, and, grand total, including what I've spent on my trait books at level 63, I haven't quite made a whole ten gold in GW2. Granted, I haven't been selling thing on the trading post (since, you know, not available), but if I'd turned all my 17k+ Karma into those mats and sold them, I'd be rich. Filthy filthy filthy filthy rich.

With the crafting mats costing a measly 3 Karma, the unintended part of it should've been pretty obvious. I don't agree with perma-banning him (and am quite glad they reduced it to 72 hours), but come on. He should've known better. He really, really should have known better than to stream it on his heavily-watched channel, especially after we all know how strict ANet has been already.

I like Kripp plenty and really do look up to him as a hunter, but... this was pretty foolhardy.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-08-31 at 03:31 PM.

Soon we'll get banned for playing the game... OH WAI-

Quote Originally Posted by GameFreakRPG View Post
    Could anyone explain to me why a lot of people seem to think he deserved to be banned? Because to me it seems that Anet simply fucked up and are trying to cover their mistakes.
    because hes a 'mmo pseudo-celeb' and people cant stand those.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by mmoscreenshotproof View Post
    I am sorry, but all you saying that he got what he deserved and all the other people who did this also got what they deserve are not really thinking this through fully.

This is completely a fail on Anet's development team for not seeing this and allowing it on live. Its not like these people did some sort of hack, this was just people buying things from a vendor and doing 100% legitimate in-game stuff to them. These bans actually have a real-life cost of 60 bucks per ban for people who very well could not have known this was an exploit. Anet should have taken some other route than perma banning these accounts. Maybe they should have had better betas and found these kind of bugs before live.
    Quote Originally Posted by ANet
    -You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.
    That's about it. The point is to help the game, not be a selfish prick about it and try to ruin the economy with an influx of stuff only a select few can get. There will always be bugs and unintended things in games, because people aren't perfect. As if everyone expected complete perfection. Correcting mistakes is what makes games better and more fair.

Here's the best idea ever, let's try to ruin a game from the inside out that we actually enjoy playing. Oh, you don't enjoy it now that you see ANet is doing their best to regulate it so it's fair? Yeah, makes no sense for them to ban people........not.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-31 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedsterz View Post
    They are just kissing up to Anet. The "exploit" is not an exploit. Anet knew it was there and what players could do to it. The fact he got perma banned and bots only for 72 hours, is a major **** up. And Anet is now trying to cover it all up.
    Please tell me how it is not an exploit when you clearly know the pricing is bugged and decides to abuse it.

Deleted
    People were not banned for buying an incorrectly priced 21 karma item....they were banned for buying hundreds and thousands of the item to turn into gold ....they knew very well it was an exploit !

I do feel that a permanent ban was unnecessary and a 3-day ban fits better, as did Anet it seems after the original bans.

This is a different scenario to Kipparians ban though, which does seem very harsh...although we've only seen his version of events on that though.
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2012-08-31 at 03:38 PM.

I agree it is not fair, but in the long run it is totally worth, if GW2 gets a reputation of a zero tolerance for cheating game. Anet is doing a great job so far going the extra mile keeping the game clean and intimidating people into not doing shady things. GW2 has many issues, but this is very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I just realized the irony of "reality check" regarding a game.

They had to buy a lot. It was proven those who were banned bought above 50 or so. Anyway, everyone who got permabanned received the right to appeal for 72 hour ban...
    That's not what I heard when I watched the video, he explained that anyone who bought a single item from this vendor got banned. Arena net then proceeded to horribly beat the shit out of anyone who did this then let them apologize for buying an item from a vendor they put in the game and in turn they would only break their legs.
    Last edited by Demox; 2012-08-31 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You're up in arms about something you never had and never knew you were going to have until more recent times, now you're pissed off because it turns out you might not get it, even though nobody ever actually said you were getting it anyway?
    Turns out painting a bunch of circles on the floor is all it takes to totally trivialize an encounter designed by Blizzard's dev team. I guess it must be pretty scary when your best work is broken down and utterly defeated by trigonometry.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Because he knowingly exploited a obviously bug in game and streamed it believing just as he has done in the past that is supposed internet celebrity status would shield him from action. However and unfortunately for him Anet doesnt play that and rightfully used him to make a example. People have been sick of this stuff forever and rightfully so. In game bugs will always crop up and its about time that a developer puts a stop to this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-08-31 at 03:34 PM.

I've never been a huge fan of Kripp, but I've also always said that GW support is a joke. For the majority of the video, I was thinking, whatever, this guy sounds like he's making up excuses. The reddit post is what got me, though - there was absolutely no call for that, especially since they arbitrarily turned his block into a ban for no apparent reason. Two wrongs don't make a right, but at the same time, I've so little faith in ANet support that I can't say as I'm too surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the 20 karma weapons, He has a valid point.

Many fans of the game could very reasonably have no idea whatsoever that that is unintended. Sure a diehard MMO fan that follows forums and all that jazz would know that clearly it's probably not right, but it seems reasonable to me that a person would think "Well, that doesn't seem like the right price, but hey it's a good deal."

It's not like they had to do some sort of crazy trick to get the price.

But as far as doing math to figure out what prices you can get on vendoring items for cheaper than what their unintended purchase price was, that seems reasonable to ban.

Not to mention, are you kidding me with publicizing the actions taken against his account? That's unacceptable, I don't care how much I or anyone else loves their game.

Also, I don't understand how using Karma to buy a material to craft an item that can be vendored for gold and then capitalizing on that gold is worth a ban. Should I avoid ever vendoring anything I bought for Karma for fear of being banned?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love the game and will continue to play, and this video is the only Kripparian video I've ever watched, live or otherwise; but ANet needs to get this stuff sorted out.
    Last edited by Aurinax; 2012-08-31 at 03:42 PM.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Did all you people saying he should have been banned and what not actually watch the video. This is hilarious what a dumb move by Anet new players who had no idea about the game could have ended up finding this vendor and buying the item and then banned......... really so glad I decided not to play this game right now.

Deleted
    Erm, Arenanet did the right thing. I can't believe people think he didn't deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    On the 20 karma weapons, He has a valid point.
    Really? so the whole time lvling up spending 100's of Karma on crap items didn't give even the slightest clue to even the most slow witted gamer that something isn't right when they are offered such a item for 20 Karma? Please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Selling for an exceptionally massive amount of gold, comparatively speaking, is the issue.
    Maybe I don't really understand the mechanics yet, but if I saw some item that sells for simply 3x as much as another comparable item would sell for, I certainly wouldn't go completely "OMG THIS CLEARLY ISN'T INTENDED BY ANET, LET'S EXPLOIT!"... I would go "Nice, I guess I'd be really clever if I sold some of those!".

We aren't talking about 10x or 100x the price, just 3x... or am I missing something here? That's what it says in the OP. 3x doesn't seem game breaking or "exploity" to me at all...
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-08-31 at 03:38 PM.