Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question about WW II

After Germany was defeated why wasn't it captured? I know that Germany was extending by attacking different sides so why wasn't them captured by US maybe?
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    After Germany was defeated why wasn't it captured? I know that Germany was extending by attacking different sides so why wasn't them captured by US maybe?
    It was?

The Allies controlled the West and the Soviets controlled the East. Hence the whole 'Berlin Wall' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    It was?

The Allies controlled the West and the Soviets controlled the East. Hence the whole 'Berlin Wall' thing.

Sooooo they gave it back or what? Why isn't called USA and Russia.

/stupid (i know i am)
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

Wait wasn't it? I believe that it was divided into four occupuational zones/sectors which were each controlled by US, Britain, France, or Russia and this was what led to the whole west germany/east germany and Berlin Wall thingy.

It was, Germany was divided into 4 zones by allies, American, English, French and Soviet. Allied one soon became BRD (West Germany), while Soviet became DDR (East Germany) after tensions began to grow with start of Cold War. Berlin was divided the same way (check up on Berlin Wall). If you're asking why German wasn't forced into paying reparations, Allies learned their lesson with WWI.

Throughout history, not every captured territory/country/province has been renamed to share the name of the conquering force. For an incredibly long time, India was known as the crown jewel of the British empire... and was never renamed to be anything else.

While some territories have certainly seen name changes, people identify with their culture, their home, and their people. Trying to force them to change their name would likely have increased resentment among the populace toward those that were there in the first place.... and there wouldn't have been much to gain from forcing the name change.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    this is why ppl should pay attention in school

15+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo they gave it back or what? Why isn't called USA and Russia.

/stupid (i know i am)
    Imperialism had already died to a large extent and the rest died the following decades. Colonies, puppet government, etc, never cross the victorers minds (apart from Stalin obviously).
    Europe needs Germany, everyone knew that.
    You are not stupid for asking, stupid people are the ones that wonder about things but never asks
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Because conquest is illegal according to international law. Which most western country's abide - except Israel.

Jesus - how can you ask such a question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because conquest is illegal according to international law. Which most western country's abide - except Israel.

Yeah! I hate it when people learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Yeah! I hate it when people learn!
    This is basic History or Social studies 101.

okay so like people said, the allies and the commies divided germany in east and west, but since the highly developed berlin was deep in commie area, they divided that too ..

the allies soon realised that the cause of wwII was that germany was too weakened by all the sanctions in ww I , causing a populist like hitler to gain power. so they gave no sanctions for the 2nd world war and allowed the reforming of the german democrasy rather quickly.

It however took till 1989 till the USSR ( called the commies before) collapsed and germany became the germany we know today.

Deleted

Provide a source for this "international law" you speak of.
    A lot of the European members haven't even signed the human rights treaty
    Last edited by mmoc7fbde501d1; 2012-08-31 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    If you're asking why German wasn't forced into paying reparations, Allies learned their lesson with WWI.
    I think the treatment of Germany post-WWII really just boils down to that.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfan1 View Post
    okay so like people said, the allies and the commies divided germany in east and west, but since the highly developed berlin was deep in commie area, they divided that too ..
    Berlin was not divided because it was highly developed. The other big cities in the East were similiar only with fewer inhabitants. Even the ones which fell to Poland after the war. Berlin was just the capital.

Quote Originally Posted by memphix View Post
    Provide a source for this "international law" you speak of.
    A lot of the European members haven't even signed the human rights treaty
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_...ations_Charter
    The UN charter

Holy shit I'm old. The things I've actually experienced in my life people now have to read through a history book to find out.

Only 35 and I remember the Iron Curtain and when the wall came down. Before I know it people will be asking me about our first black president and what it was like relying on our imaginations for entertainment.

Deleted
    This is basic History or Social studies 101.
    You don't know how old OP is. It annoys me when people that are obviously smarter in certain areas are so condescending towards those that are not.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    Holy shit I'm old. The things I've actually experienced in my life people now have to read through a history book to find out.

Only 35 and I remember the Iron Curtain and when the wall came down. Before I know it people will be asking me about our first black president and what it was like relying on our imaginations for entertainment.
    I know right..thanks for the small lol moment it gave me i can remember in school all we talked about for a week or two was chernobyl (SP)? when the reactor melted down.. now its ancient history
    Last edited by Dewragg; 2012-08-31 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    You don't know how old OP is. It annoys me when people that are obviously smarter in certain areas are so condescending towards those that are not.
    Maybe it had something to do with the indifference of which he asked "why don't you just conquer a country"