Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Non-Americans, how often did you learn about the United States in school?

I'm not talking about learning about how the US and your native country interact, or how they have interacted in the past, I'm talking learning directly about 'American-only' things (i.e stuff that did not involve your home country at all, just the US).
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

History class had a chapter on the americain revolution i think, thats about it. Might have learnt abit about its laws in business studies as a comparison to are ones but that`d be about it. Just a quick thing i want to know do you think other countries have classes that teach people sololy about america , similarly to a maths class? Dont mean to be rude or anything but if so thats a bit.. insane (Normally i wouldnt even ask that but it kind of how your question is coming across to me

Deleted
    Like 2-3 lessons of history and kinda frequently on english lessons(Foreign language)
    Last edited by mmoc25e047bb40; 2012-08-31 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    never...only learnt about the native americans and what they did to buffalo :S :P

Everything i know about america is from american films/ programs :S

Learning about thanksgiving from adams family is fun :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccj2BH25c0I
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2012-08-31 at 09:32 PM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    From what I remember; only ever things in history class. And only when linked to other countries/events.

Never had anything directly about the US afaik. Don't really see why we would have either.
    Last edited by Shâréz; 2012-08-31 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much nothing. The US has such a small relation to the history of the UK and the World that there is very little to get taught about.

I cannot remember exactly how much we learned at junior and high school but I seem to recall we might have gone over a little bit on the American Civil War when doing a unit about wars in general and that is it.

Roman, Greek, Egyptian cultures although not immediately directly related to England have provided a much larger influence than the US ever could.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2012-08-31 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    I learnt about how it was colonised, the war to liberate themselves from english rule and the civil war. There was also some lessons on how slaves were treated in the states.

Deleted
    zero... none...

Nothing at all in school, when I got to college my Goverment and Politics class focused on British Parliament and the American system, sometimes as a comparison other times just learning how the systems work.

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    History class had a chapter on the americain revolution i think, thats about it. Might have learnt abit about its laws in business studies as a comparison to are ones but that`d be about it. Just a quick thing i want to know do you think other countries have classes that teach people sololy about america , similarly to a maths class? Dont mean to be rude or anything but if so thats a bit.. insane (Normally i wouldnt even ask that but it kind of how your question is coming across to me
    I think you're perceiving what the OP said incorrectly and I think that's more on how he worded his question and not how you took it. I think his question comes from our educations. We take years of courses on "World History." We're a young country so I don't imagine we're in many history lessons. Another thing is it's hard to find a world event in which multiple countries aren't involved. Like I'm sure Fiif's country was involved in WWII as was America, so therefore that would exclude that topic from the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    It depends on what level of schooling you're talking about. I wouldn't expect European Primary/Middle Schools to have much in the way of specific American History courses just like the classes at that level over here focus on American History/World History in a general sense. However, the high school I went to had classes about the histories of specific European countries. It's not that odd nor do I think that the OP asking it come out of a feeling of American exceptionalism. It makes sense to have classes about historically significant countries. Like the US or hate it, I really don't care, but the fact is that it is a historically significant nation and worthy of study.

EDIT: @Velosite: Fif's location is Ireland. Ireland was officially neutral during WWII. J/S
    Last edited by Lachez; 2012-08-31 at 09:34 PM.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had a little bit of its history during English lessons. But only the earlier history until the end of the Civil War. There was more on the history of the UK though, because, well, they at least have something to be called 'history' ;-P

Other than history we learned basic stuff like politic system, school system etc. for both the UK and the US.

Uh, we had stuff on the united states in geography when I was in high school. Talked about the landscape, repartition of population and trade flux.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brits don't even learn about us from what I hear while England takes up the majority of our history classes when discussing other nations.

Their history is taught as our history prior to our founding, at least in my state. I have some south American friends that learn a lot about the USA though.

My question to you Limeys is: How did you learn about the USA and its founding if not in school?
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Very little, we focussed on international things - the Treaty of Versailles, the role of the US in the second world war, the Cuban Missile Crisis and briefly on a domestic level the Civil Rights movement. I decided to focus on Russian history, although I think there was an option of an American module. Why? Are you going to roll out your knowledge of the English Civil War, the War of the Roses or the so-called "Glorious Revolution"?

nothing as far as i can remember, not even at history.

Deleted
    Absolutely bugger all except 10minutes when we were doing the British Empire and was just told the year of the American independence war.

My question to you Limeys is: How did you learn about the USA and its founding if not in school?
    We dont? I know fuck all about Americas founding and Ive done 2 years of history at university.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact is that the US is still in their infancy in an historical sense, there isn't an awful lot to learn about compared to many countries in Europe and Asia.

Deleted
    very little, anything to do with the US was through the cold war vietnam korea cuba ect