Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Whether it's lying, exaggeration or just describing yourself from a different point of view, you should really realize if your resume / motivation letter is appropriate or not. Blatantly lying can yield yourself an interview, but unless the interviewers are not totally stupid (which they rarely are. not at least all of them), you will get busted right there. Telling about your skills and achievements in a not too modest way however is a different story, and there is no one golden rule that works or doesn't. If that won't get you any interviews, then you either lack skill, experience, education etc.. or all of them. Depending on your field it can be nigh impossible for junior candidates to get a job. (Also depending on your field, practicing your skills on your free time can be possible and useful)

There are some employers out there (Like myself) who will actually take the guy with the balls to say the truth, rather than the one inflating his 2 years changing oil at a gas station into "Petroleum engineer and provider" or that guy turning his 3-4 months of lugging bricks into "Chief Aide of Architecture".

Be truthful, and you'll bag a job with a boss you wont hate, and you wont hate yourself for being a scumbag liar. Not to mention you wont be wasting no one's time by applying for something you aren't qualified to do.

Nah,.. you can lie. Just don't lie extremely like "I speak fluent German" when you really don't cuz if they also speak German you are screwed. If it is small things how will they know and it will only make you look better!

Quote Originally Posted by TheeDude View Post
    If I don't like I won't get hired.

If I lie, I will get hired and maybe fired.

Simple math says I should lie.
    As others have said, just twist the negatives into positives. Employers love that.

If I don't like I won't get hired.

If I lie, I will get hired and maybe fired.

Simple math says I should lie.
    Until a future employer contacts your previous employer and finds out you lied.

Also, it really depends on the job. If you're applying for a job at a business that has a high turnaround rate, you will get fired very quickly for lying.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-09-01 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just say that if you're gonna lie in the resume about how you take responsibility and get stuff done etc, you're gonna have to live up to that image. I always lie a bit on my resumes
    Last edited by Edison; 2012-09-02 at 12:05 AM.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Until a future employer contacts your previous employer and finds out you lied.

Also, it really depends on the job. If you're applying for a job at a business that has a high turnaround rate, you will get fired very quickly for lying.
    This has actually very simple solution - give them refence that has phone number of your friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has actually very simple solution - give them refence that has phone number of your friend.
    With responses like this, it's no wonder you don't have the job. Your willing to lie every step of the way to get a job you couldn't get with your own skills.

when it comes to getting a job there is a fine line between lying and exaggerating. Its sad that its needed and the stupidity of most questions that are asked is unreal. Getting a job in UK is more about who you know and your social skills than your ability to do said job.

but when you think about it, once im in and I would work for few monhs/ years, it could give me a good start. Then I can just find a new job, but this time I dont have to lie.
    Not necessarily. IF you get a job there, then get fired, you have to find another job. You then have to list work history and why you left the place. IF you don't list that job, you're lying on your resume again. IF you do, then they can ask the previous employer why you were let go. It will follow you.