Deleted

Calculating Stormlash DPS contribution

Recently I have been talking an awful lot about the contribution of raid damage brought my Stormlash, and how you should be using this to alter what you see in your normal logs. I've decided to throw together a small spreadsheet for calculating this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2dCUDV6TTFEdkE

To use it download the file, then cells in red are to be edited by you, cells in green are calculated. Fill in the columns in red and under the 'Final True DPS' column will be each persons DPS contribution with the Stormlash DPS redistributed to the shaman who brought the totem rather than the raid member that utilized it.

Notes to take into account before you use this:

1 - Its a first go, I made this whilst eating my lunch this afternoon. If its got bugs in it please to do tell me

2 - It uses averages. If your raid has say 4 shaman in it, and your fight lasts say 320 seconds, the first two shaman to use stormlash will get to use it twice, the second two will only get to use it once. However the damage of those 6 Stormlash totems will be spread out over all 4 players, meaning that 2 people will have more than they really brought, 2 will have less

3 - Remember about player error. Stormlash total duration is in this spreadsheet. If you have 3 shaman and the fight lasts 200 seconds, but you only have 25 seconds of Stormlash up-time, that means one of your shaman either used stormlash for 5 seconds (for whatever reason) or they popped theirs whilst another Shaman's Stormlash was still running. This error from what could have been only 1 player will adversely affect the DPS represented by the players that played properly. I'm trying to decide a way to remove this point of error but still make the spreadsheet easy to use. You should just be able to open up a WoL boss kill and copy/paste some numbers across, but this issue could make it harder. PM me if you have suggestions

4 - The numbers in it already are purely for show. Don't take them as me saying 'this is what it should look like'. Plug in your own numbers to get accurate results.

5 - This is a big one. It currently does not work very well if you include Healers and Tanks as damage contributors to the Stormlash damage, because currently it averages out the total damage done by Stormlash across all the players. At the moment I'm changing this to work out the DPS done by stormlash per player so that you can include tanks and healers in it, and get an actual result of what other players did in your raid too, not just you (the shaman). This should be fairly soon. - Done, v2.0 is up
    Last edited by mmoc63fa3da953; 2012-09-01 at 05:00 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ghostcrawler describes the mechanics of the calculations in full here, at the end of his post.
    Stormlash. Chapter One...

-- The base damage is 20% of AP or 30% of SP, whichever is higher.
    -- That amount is multiplied by 0.2 for normal pets, and by 0 for guardian pets.
    -- Next, if it’s an autoattack (or spell that we count as an autoattack such as Wind Lash or Shadow Blades or Tiger Strikes), then it’s multiplied by 0.4, and then by WeaponSpeed / 2.6. And if it’s an offhand attack, it’s then multiplied by 0.5.
    -- If it’s periodic damage, it doesn’t Stormlash, unless it’s Mind Flay, Malefic Grasp, or Drain Soul.
    -- For all other spells, it’s then multiplied by BaseCastTime / 1.5 sec, with a floor on the BaseCastTime of 1.5 sec.
    -- And then there are multipliers for certain spells: 2x for Lightning Bolt, 2x for Lava Burst, 2x for Drain Soul, 0.5x for Sinister Strike.
    -- Finally, that’s the average damage it deals. It will actually deal that +/- 15 %.
    -- It also has a 0.1 sec ICD on triggering, and can miss based on spell hit.
    Last edited by kaikoraimi; 2012-09-01 at 09:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Deleted
    Thats how to calculate how much DPS you would do with it. My spreadsheet was made to plug in data from like a WoL report or a recount log and 'fix' it so it shows the correct numbers after Stormlash is factored in correctly. Its not meant to simulate the damage you would do (though I can be used for that), its basically meant as a 'plug in to WoL' type thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an aside; I went over this with Undefetter a bit in IRC; if we wanted to get sim-level results, we'd need to incorporate the stuff Ghostcrawler mentioned. If we're just looking at the DPS contribution due to Stormlash per Shaman in the raid, which is what the spreadsheet is for, we don't need to get that precise on exactly how much damage each proc is doing; the damage per player per Stormlash cast is as much info as we need.