Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Totally disagree with him on this part..


    - There’s terrific end-game raiding. Blizzard has it down to a science. WoW has designed raiding dungeons for the past seven years, it’s what they excel at. They always give the players what they want in terms of end-game dungeons, and it’s one of the biggest draws for WoW.
    Yes raiding is very fun but killing the same boss 30-35 times because content takes so long to come out is ridiculous.

  2. #42
    Completely disagree with you here, you're going to be doing the same content in gw2 for a long time. It's called grinding gear and it's a part of the mmo experience, a part which i and many other raiders enjoy. It's a part of the mmorpg experience that only a few understand and a majority complain about. Also you never really disagreed with him, you only added to the sentiment that grinding bosses is not fun. Otherwise you brought up no point in how you disagreed lol.

    I think blizzard has raiding down much better than any companies games. I've quit to play their games and hopes they would be WoW. In the end WoW still has me at raiding, and the other mmo's that came out and quit wow for have dissapointed me non stop in terms of raiding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Totally disagree with him on this part..



    Yes raiding is very fun but killing the same boss 30-35 times because content takes so long to come out is ridiculous.

  3. #43
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    What I've found myself wondering lately is: What would happen if Blizzard and ANet came together,
    i doubt that would happen considering ANet was started by people who left blizzard:P
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    i doubt that would happen considering ANet was started by people who left blizzard:P
    It's a business world my friend, if they can make money they will find a way.

  5. #45
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylamoo View Post
    I think blizzard has raiding down much better than any companies games. I've quit to play their games and hopes they would be WoW. In the end WoW still has me at raiding, and the other mmo's that came out and quit wow for have dissapointed me non stop in terms of raiding.

    I really wish Blizzard would release some friggen content for you guys so you'd go back to your game and quit posting on a GW2 forum ;-)
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Really? I haven't seen any of the sort. Why are you trying to provoke reactions on something that isn't happening?

    Some comparisons are made, because you need to compare to gain perspective and to... make comparisons. Like regarding underwater combat. Only 2 MMO's have done that to my knowledge, and those are WoW and GW2. It's only natural to compare the merits of both ways it's been implemented.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 01:51 AM ----------



    You don't see the issue with an MMO being anti-social? With 20 people not sharing a word, ever, during an event?

    Did I even imply that it's longer anywhere? No. You're reading too much into what I write, just because I'm being very critical. CC on land has a little more impact because it's much more manageable and controllable.

    Even so, CC is hardly needed. I have had no need for it so far. Buffing myself and putting damage forward is what's useful. Now if you can coordinate CC with other people, it becomes a useful tool. But that's only doable by voice communication.


    Again though I really have to remind you to not look at me like I'm comparing GW2 to anything else or that I'm a fanboy of some other game because I give strong criticism.
    Do you really want to talk about a game being social, I can't say on wow I've ever seen social play outside of max level, and lfd. Because not only is it not rewarding but your actually punished for playing with other people in wow by everything from how loot drops to how experience points are handled. If I didn't have guild chat in wow I would have swore I was playing a single player game for my last 5 alts.. So yeah the social aspect of the game isn't a place where wow has the upper hand until your in a raid, otherwise GW2 does a considerably better job since your at least not being punished for playing with other people.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 07:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylamoo View Post
    Completely disagree with you here, you're going to be doing the same content in gw2 for a long time. It's called grinding gear and it's a part of the mmo experience, a part which i and many other raiders enjoy. It's a part of the mmorpg experience that only a few understand and a majority complain about. Also you never really disagreed with him, you only added to the sentiment that grinding bosses is not fun. Otherwise you brought up no point in how you disagreed lol.

    I think blizzard has raiding down much better than any companies games. I've quit to play their games and hopes they would be WoW. In the end WoW still has me at raiding, and the other mmo's that came out and quit wow for have dissapointed me non stop in terms of raiding.
    Wait so it's bad to do an entire worlds worth of content for 8months, but it's good to do a single raid for 8 months because you get gear? Just checking to make sure I'm reading that right cause it sounds kinda off.

  7. #47
    wow = endgame content thats overused

    other MMOs= content while levelling to the extreme!!!!!!

    ive had fun on SWTOR Rift Tera GW2 in lvling only content its not like a chore!
    Last edited by Bluxwave; 2012-09-02 at 07:26 AM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaariana View Post
    All I knew that is was a heavily PvP based game, and that the PvE content was not all there.
    (...)
    -Most of the reading I did was in the MMO-Champ GW2 subforum.
    yeah... but no. if you actually tried to read anything here, you would start by saying gw2 is heavily pvp focused. (at least actually not more than pve)

    didn't even bother reading the linked article after that.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2012-09-02 at 07:29 AM.

  9. #49
    You can't judge these games in a void, though. Your complaint is essentially that the game doesn't force you to be social. That, apparently, people can make the choice not to communicate, simply because it's not needed. I don't see how that's a drawback.
    See now I disagree. This is a very legitimate gripe with the game. FWIW wow suffers from the exact same problem nowadays albeit to a lessor extent. Here is the crux of the matter - community IRL and it games comes about because people NEED eachother. So to solve bigger problems they are FORCED to work together. Real Life community comes from FORCED interaction - and its the same thing in games.

    As you eliminate the forced interaction - you eliminate the community. This is human nature. People including Blizzard don't want to face up to it. And think good community springs from the random 'good nature' of individuals. They couldn't be more wrong. GW2 just takes this to the furthest extent.

    The side effect of having no roles and allowing any class to do anything means that every single player is totally expendable. You might as well be playing with NPCs.

  10. #50
    The thing that attracted me to the game was that you can do stuff at your own speed. I dont like the raiding stress anymore. Sacrificing your time to be online and not enough people from your guild show up even tough signed. You can do whatever you feel like doing in GW2. Everything gives xp. If you like crafting you can lvl with crafting. If you like pvp go do that. If you like doing your dynamic events, do that. They are fun even if you do them over and over again again. Because if you go back to an area you get toned down to that areas lvl. It surprised me how many higher lvls (you can see that someone has been toned down) are still around helping in starting areas. There is no mob stealing everyone gets xp depending how much dmg you did.

    I am 26 now. Fairly hooked on crafting. It is much harder than wow crafting and fairly expensive. Even if you farm everything on your own. The game engine is stunning. Models look so nice and the best thing. NO MORE MONTHLY FEES. After 7 Years it adds up.

    So Yeah read about it. Watch some vids and give it a try.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by hx9 View Post
    Rebuttal:

    Graphics... the better graphics are, the more exclusive they are to other players. The quality of graphics in GW2 forces some of my good friends to be unable to play. World of Warcraft wins in this department because it includes a wider audience. Both games should meet in the middle.
    WTFever man. Tell your friends to upgrade from their 486 processors. If your machine can't run this game and you're not willing to upgrade, maybe you should just buy a console and call it a day.

    Furthermore, mass market does not necessarily equate to better, actually it rarely does. Quick, which is the better restaurant? McDonalds or Ruth's Chris Steak House? By your logic, it would be McDonalds but anyone with a functioning palate knows that's wrong. It's pretty much the same for every product from golf balls to video game. Mass market = sub-standard but easily accessible.

  12. #52
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,032
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyClinch View Post
    Real Life community comes from FORCED interaction.
    Absolutely untrue.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    There's a very short and easy critique I can give: Your article contains a very early and short impression, and thusly the impressions and opinions aren't "good". They aren't critical. They are the first awe impressions of something completely new.

    I'd like to hear opinions after you've played it for a few weeks. When you've had proper time to get used to it and understand it. I found the article to be, well... not that great. It's a rambling of impressions. It feels incoherent and it seems to end rather abruptly where you talk about the negative things. It's like you haven't reviewed games before.

    I don't want to crush your spirit or anything. I just can't express it in a better way.

    I'm not too fond of the fact that you didn't post this for any other purpose that to promote your article. Which might be against the forum rules. It depends on how lenient the mods are about it. When people promote their youtube videos or other, they get their threads locked.
    Though you say "This is the first of several articles that Carol Pinchefsky is writing", refering to the writer of the article by name, aka not you but someone else. Then in your post you refer to the writer as yourself. That makes me wonder.
    The same thing could be said about your post. And: First Impression reviews are what a LOT (the majority) of gamers refer to, to see if they even want to spend any $ on the game to begin with....

    The article is fine, and I also appreciate your opinion as well, but claiming that the article is bad... because well.. YOU think it is... is exactly the same as me saying GW2 is better than WoW, SWTOR has the best leveling experience, oranges are far better than apples and Holiday Spice is a much more pleasant scent than lavender. It's just opinion, and you're taking it out of context by judging an article on the fact that it's a first impression. To give perspective: WoW would have fallen FLAT on it's face and gone NOWHERE if the majority had gone by the first impression reviews, where leveling was slow and horrendously difficult, the servers went down 4 times a day, you couldn't connect half of the time and many classes were ridiculously overpowered in comparison to others. Good thing we can all form our own thoughts and opinions, and take things with a grain of salt whether or not we think the article is "fair" to one game or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Absolutely untrue.
    I would not agree that "forced interaction" is the only way to build communities. But historically interdependence has and does build community both virtually & in reality.

    Stand together or die alone and all that jazz.

    Just a thought.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-02 at 06:17 PM.

  15. #55
    My question is why does everything have to do with WoW? Most gamers I know can't and haven't been able to log into WoW in years due to sheer boredom and any lack of modern graphical excitement. Where's the review from a "DoaC Player", I know there's millions of Chinese goldfarmers still playing WoW but why would millions of us that don't .............care?

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 06:41 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    WTFever man. Tell your friends to upgrade from their 486 processors. If your machine can't run this game and you're not willing to upgrade, maybe you should just buy a console and call it a day.

    Furthermore, mass market does not necessarily equate to better, actually it rarely does. Quick, which is the better restaurant? McDonalds or Ruth's Chris Steak House? By your logic, it would be McDonalds but anyone with a functioning palate knows that's wrong. It's pretty much the same for every product from golf balls to video game. Mass market = sub-standard but easily accessible.
    Agree, I'm not sure why we don't have "Pong Players" reviewing GW2

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    My question is why does everything have to do with WoW? Most gamers I know can't and haven't been able to log into WoW in years due to sheer boredom and any lack of modern graphical excitement. Where's the review from a "DoaC Player", I know there's millions of Chinese goldfarmers still playing WoW but why would millions of us that don't .............care?

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 06:41 PM ----------

    Agree, I'm not sure why we don't have "Pong Players" reviewing GW2
    I'm assuming because this is a Wow centric fan forum and it's also the biggest MMO out atm... doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

  17. #57
    The "DAOC player review of Guild Wars 2" is pretty irrelevant. World of Warcraft is a huge cultural touchstone with the gaming industry as a whole. DAOC or Anarchy Online... not nearly so much. Not nearly.

    Whether one personally enjoys World of Warcraft does not diminish how important it is to talk about as a game. It's sort of a big deal.

  18. #58
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I would not agree that "forced interaction" is the only way to build communities. But historically interdependence has and does build community both virtually & in reality.

    Stand together or die alone and all that jazz.

    Just a thought.
    Interdependence is not the same thing as forced interaction, though, and a lot of people seem to be wanting it to be forced.

    I "depend" on other players for some events, and in WoW I greatly depend on the other 4 people in the group (regardless of my role), but that doesn't necessarily mean I need to communicate with them.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-02 at 07:46 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The "DAOC player review of Guild Wars 2" is pretty irrelevant. World of Warcraft is a huge cultural touchstone with the gaming industry as a whole. DAOC or Anarchy Online... not nearly so much. Not nearly.

    Whether one personally enjoys World of Warcraft does not diminish how important it is to talk about as a game. It's sort of a big deal.
    Yeah I guess a bunch still have old computers/laptops that don't run modern games.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 07:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    I'm assuming because this is a Wow centric fan forum and it's also the biggest MMO out atm... doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
    I thought this was the GW2 forums, my mistake. Theres a reason WoW is the biggest and it has nothing to do with quality, it has to do with equipment, and the fact people have a handful of maxed toons they just cant "let go" of

  20. #60
    I honestly believe GW2 and WOW can co-exist without affecting each other esp since GW2 is a once off payment until expansions of course. Infact it's in everyones interest that wow finally has a good competitor and vice versa which will encourage the devs to keeps both games top notch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •