Poll: Do you know how to swim?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Do you know how to swim?

so tonight I was out on a boat with some family members, And I keep overheard of how Someone drowned because they don't know how to swim am such. And it got me to start wondering how many people know how to swim, and I don't mean float about in the shallow part. I was fairly shocked when i asked around at the people who didn't know how to swim. I assume this is a culture shock because as I grew up I was always on the lake and I learned how to swim at a very early age, when I was young all all knew how to, or may be needed to know with the amount of water around us. To me not being able to swim is something that's hardly fathomable to me.

So I ask you , do you know how to swim? when did you learn? did your parents force you? I thought this may make a good forum.

** by swimming I mean if i threw you off at 75 meters form shore could you make it back to shore? can you tread water for a minute or more?
    Last edited by Blood Fox; 2012-09-02 at 04:07 AM.

I'm not sure which option to pick, honestly. I can swim just fine from one side of a pool to another. However, if I stop at any point in between I'll struggle and look like I'm drowning because I can't for the life of me figure out how to tread water. I don't even understand why I have so much trouble. I can float just fine on my back, face down, or holding my legs to my chest but I can't float in an upright position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

In the same boat as you, OP. I honestly don't even remember a time when I didn't know how to swim, because I learned so early. Always grew up swimming in a lake/river/pool etc, and it's something I've just always known how to do. I can't imagine not knowing how to swim and being put in a situation where swimming was the only option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup.

How did I learn? "Hey 'endersblade' (not using my name here lol) come'ere." This coming from my dad on a barge boat in the middle of a lake. You can extrapolate the rest :-)

I was also in the Navy for 8 years. Sort of a requirement to learn how to swim.

I know a LOT of people under the age of, say, 20 that have absolutely no idea how to swim, and have never even been in a pool, lake, river, or other such large body of water. (going to the beach doesn't count; most people don't actually 'swim' in the ocean.) They also don't know how to hoola-hoop, use a pogo stick, or know what a polaroid camera is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Here in Australia swimming is a mandatory class in primary school, so you'd be hard pressed to find an Australian who is incapable of swimming.

In grade six (11-12 years old) part of the curriculum to pass physical education, we had to tread water for 10 minutes fully clothed, and swim 400m without stopping.
    Last edited by Ieft; 2012-09-02 at 04:13 AM.

Do I know how to swim? nope. In fact, the only style I know involves a lot of flailing followed by inevitable bouts of drowning.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Nope I don't. One of these days I'll go learn how to.

I'm a pretty crummy swimmer (slow and awkward and splashy), but I don't really understand the concept of "not knowing how to swim". It's a pretty natural thing, not knowing how to do is like being confused by the concept of chewing food.

Yep, dunno when I learned, maybe back on a vacation in Greece... Though if I can't have a relaxing swim then I easily start feeling sick.

Know how to - yes
    Can I swim - no

Deleted
    Had "swim school" during summer breaks as a kid when I was around 8-12 years old I think? Pretty much all the kids went in that age since learning how to swim is just as natural here as learning how to ride a bike. We also had swim tests in school every year, those who still hadn't learned to swim had to take extra classes after school. So yeah, most people here in Sweden knows how to swim, would be weird if you couldn't...

I do understand that it's a cultural thing though and not everyone see an immediate need to know it since they might never set their foot near water, but I still feel that it's such a simple thing to do and it could easily cost you your life one day if you don't learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ieft View Post
    Here in Australia swimming is a mandatory class in primary school, so you'd be hard pressed to find an Australian who is incapable of swimming.

In grade six (11-12 years old) part of the curriculum to pass physical education, we had to tread water for 10 minutes fully clothed, and swim 400m without stopping.
    Half of the American public school system would never pass physical education if they had to swim 400m without stopping. Myself included.

Yes, I know how to swim. No, I hate swimming, and in fact I have almost drowned twice in my life. I despise water.
    Last edited by Kolossal; 2012-09-02 at 04:17 AM.

I live in Australia and started the mandatory lessons at 6 months of age, at 17 they finally gave up teaching me and admitted that I couldn't swim.

I remember loving the water (even though I couldn't swim), but by the age of 17 with all the negative stuff from teachers - I hated it, and have ever since.

Yep, I used to compete as an athlete. I might go back to it some day. I think i swam from the age of 4 to 17. I only took it seriously once I turned approx 12. Before then it was just something my parents wanted me to do.

Even so, I still get shocked when i find out people cant swim, they really need to spend some time in a pool lol.

I lived in Florida most of my life. Swimming was daily.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    I literally cannot float. I have the bone density of a mammoth. Has saved me a lot of broen bones when I was a dumb teenager, but otherwise no benefit to me lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

15+ Year Old Account

that sounds like skills to help you one day get off your island. I thought the whole purpose of Australia was so you could never get off? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    that sounds like skills to help you one day get off your island.:P
    It has to do with the fact that 90% of Australians live a stones throw from the water

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I remember loving the water (even though I couldn't swim), but by the age of 17 with all the negative stuff from teachers - I hated it, and have ever since.
    That really sucks :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    that sounds like skills to help you one day get off your island. I thought the whole purpose of Australia was so you could never get off? :P
    So the next logical choice is finding a way off! Have you never seen lost?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion