SLOW ass DVD read speed

So I have this full spindle of DVD-Rs that I have used over the last couple years to burn backups to. I have recently decided to move them to an external hard drive but my DVD drive is acting slow as balls.

When I first put the disc in, it takes several minutes to mount the volume and another several minutes to even start the copy once I hit paste. It sits at "Detecting" for a while. Once it finally starts, it's copying at 600 KB/s - 1.1 MB/s. With a little over 3000 items on the disc using 4 Gigs of space it's estimating 2 1/2 hours to copy the entire contents.

Some info:
    I'm running Windows 7 64-bit
    The drive in question is an LG GH22NP20 - http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-GH22NP20
    The drive should transfer at 16x
    The drive is a PATA drive, it's the only PATA device in my system and the jumper is set to Master.
    Motherboard is an old Foxconn A79A-S

I just formatted and did a fresh install of Win7 last week and the drive seemed just fine during the install. It seemed to install at a normal speed.

I've been up and down Google on this but there are a thousand and one answers for "slow dvd transfer speed" and other related searches and 95% of them I can already see are irrelevant before I even click on them.

I'd appreciate some help.
    Thanks

Either the DVDs are poor quality or your DVD drive is failing. Home-burned CD/DVD isn't really realiable technology. Try with different DVD drive to see if that sorts out the problem.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.