View Poll Results: Do you agree with ArenaNet's decision not to have mounts in the game?

Voters
555. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

288 51.89%
  • No.

83 14.95%
  • Yes, but they should introduce mounts in the next expansion.

27 4.86%
  • Yes, but they should introduce mounts in a patch before the next expansion.

13 2.34%
  • Yes, but they should increase the movement speed for the players.

46 8.29%
  • No. They should've made mounts unlockable at level 80.

33 5.95%
  • No. They should've made mounts very expensive so most people would get them late in the game.

41 7.39%
  • Undecided.

24 4.32%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Don't really feel the need for mounts. WoW Vanilla? Now that's where you needed a freakin' mount and damn did you feel the burn walking from top to bottom of the barrens because there weren't many flight paths.

In GW2 travel seems a cakewalk. You might say 'Waypoints aren't free' but... Let me put something into perspective.

How much did I spend on a mount? 5g for 20, 60g for 40, 300g for 60, 250g for azeroth flying, 500g for northrend flying, 5000g for 280% flying, 5000g for 310% flying, and that's without faction discounts and post-mount cost nerf.

Let's see, 11095? 11k gold so I can fly places quicker - not even instant world teleports. GW2 offers instant cross-world teleports for a few silver at level 80.

We don't need mounts for any reason other than cosmetic collectibles.
    To properly "put something into perspective" you first have to account for the fact that gold has different value in the two games.

Paying GW2 prices for teleports is like paying 100gold in WoW every time you take a flight path. Yeah, it wouldn't take long at all for mounts to break even.

Current cost (in real life money) of GW2 teleports is ~10 cents per teleport (if you go with the 1.25$ per 100 gems, and 100 gems for 25 silver exchange rate). That's not that cheap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toinouze View Post
    I like the idea of not having mounts, but having SO MANY WAYPOINTS AND LOADING SCREENS is even worse....
    So i'd rather have a lot less waypoints but a mount instead.

Because right now it's even worse than flying mounts, you just teleport everywhere and don't travel at all.

Refusing mounts just to be "so different than wow" is ridiculous.
    Considering Guild Wars used teleporters too, I don't think it's "to be so different to wow".

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I wish I had mounts was in WvWvW. Everywhere else I'm fine with just waypoints and swiftness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't mind a Horse, an ordinary Horse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm perfectly fine with having no mounts; we have waypoints, what more do you need? I'd also be fine if they added mounts too, as long as they were vanity items and didn't increase your movement speed.

After playing Guild Wars 2 now for about a week, I must say I'm extremely impressed. Few games (not just MMO's) can offer such an immersive experience as GW2. It's a full fledged RPG, with the sosial interactions of an MMO.

But if it is one complaint I have about the game -- it's the waypoints, if it's one thing that ruines this amazing immersion -- it's the waypoints.

To be honest, I would much rather prefer if ArenaNet removed about half of the Waypoint's in the game, and instead introduced mounts.

EDIT:

GW2 is a beautiful game, and the ability to just teleport anywhere feels like such a waste. I think that the introduction of mounts would encourage exploration in an even higher degree than the game does now.

But of course, NO flying mounts.
    Last edited by Algernon; 2012-09-02 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    To properly "put something into perspective" you first have to account for the fact that gold has different value in the two games.

Paying GW2 prices for teleports is like paying 100gold in WoW every time you take a flight path. Yeah, it wouldn't take long at all for mounts to break even.

Current cost (in real life money) of GW2 teleports is ~10 cents per teleport (if you go with the 1.25$ per 100 gems, and 100 gems for 25 silver exchange rate). That's not that cheap.
    Is like paying 100g right now.

The economy isn't even up yet, so it's far from stable. Believe me, 3 silver is nothing, it just seems like loads right now because people have no perspective of how much prices go. Nobody has any money, so how can things be expensive? Once the game gets going and people have more money, 3 silver will be seen as a merciful cross-world teleport price.

To put things further into perspective, I can make 3 silver by selling 3 level 80 drops. Loot is very easy to come by.
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-09-02 at 09:32 PM.

How much did I spend on a mount? 5g for 20, 60g for 40, 300g for 60, 250g for azeroth flying, 500g for northrend flying, 5000g for 280% flying, 5000g for 310% flying, and that's without faction discounts and post-mount cost nerf.

Let's see, 11095? 11k gold so I can fly places quicker - not even instant world teleports. GW2 offers instant cross-world teleports for a few silver at level 80.
    the relative cost of a wow flight path 0.01% of 10,000gold
    the relative cost of a waypoint at L80 in gw2 is 1-2% of 1-2gold
    approx 100x more expensive
    Last edited by zbik; 2012-09-02 at 09:32 PM.

Don't care about mounts. But I would like to run much faster when out of combat.

The game is very slow paced for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zbik View Post
    the relative cost of a wow flight path 0.01% of 10,000gold
    the relative cost of a waypoint at L80 in gw2 is 1-2% of 1-2gold
    approx 100x more expensive
    Flight paths are not instant, nor are they anywhere near as commonly distributed as waypoints. I even avoided flight paths in WoW because a 310% mount is faster and more convenient.

I thought it could be shitty without them but there are tons of way points and in the cities there are all those speed boosts that they aren't necessary so I became quite ok with it.

Is like paying 100g right now.

The economy isn't even up yet, so it's far from stable. Believe me, 3 silver is nothing, it just seems like loads right now because people have no perspective of how much prices go. Nobody has any money, so how can things be expensive? Once the game gets going and people have more money, 3 silver will be seen as a merciful cross-world teleport price.

To put things further into perspective, I can make 3 silver by selling 3 level 80 drops. Loot is very easy to come by.
    That won't change the fact that the price of each teleport is a lot higher than a flight path in WoW, if you're comparing the two games. The same 3 pieces of loot sold at max level in WoW (even to a vendor) will net you 60-100 gold too. Point is, comparing the cost of a flight mount in WoW to teleports in GW2 won't work in your favor because flight mounts in WoW are really cheap relative to the price of teleports in GW2.

I think mounts will be used as a major selling point for one of the expacs which from a business point of view is very smart.

Deleted
    Elementalist have passive-talents which increase your movement speed. There are tons of items that do exactly the same. I do agree however that walking from Queensdale to AC-dungeon did take me about 10 min considering I had nothing discovered.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    That won't change the fact that the price of each teleport is a lot higher than a flight path in WoW, if you're comparing the two games. The same 3 pieces of loot sold at max level in WoW (even to a vendor) will net you 60-100 gold too. Point is, comparing the cost of a flight mount in WoW to teleports in GW2 won't work in your favor because flight mounts in WoW are really cheap relative to the price of teleports in GW2.
    Flight paths aren't into this, teleports and FPs are not the same thing, because people are more willing to pay more for an instant teleport rather than something that's a 5 minute wait.

Again, you're forgetting that loot is very common in GW2 and it doesn't take long to get 2-3 silver at all. (btw, I have gained 20 silver on my level 8 toon. In your standards, converting 3 silver to 100g, that means my level 8 has earned almost 700 gold. No.

It will change the fact that the teleport is more expensive than WoW's flight path (which isn't the same because the flight path is not instant convenience), because once the economy gets going, people will have far more money. You seem to be short sighted in this that you believe 3 silver is going to be worth 100g forever. It isn't, and I dare say prices will rise within a week of the trading post being up. Not as extreme as WoW (20k being a casual amount of money to have), but definitely much higher than it is now.

Again, GW2's cash curve is relatively, being 3-4 silver for a level 80 renown heart and 40+ copper for a level 5 renown heart, as opposed to WoW's 80 copper for a level 5 quest and 30 gold for a level 85 quest.

Deleted
    Oh my dear Signet... best 6 Skill Points spent... ever.

Deleted
    From a transportation point of view, mounts are obviously not necessary. The Waypoint system is fast and convenient and serves the purpose quite well.

However, I do think mounts are missing in some form or another. After all GW2 is a game mainly about visual character progression. Mounts would have fittet well into this model as they could well serve as another form of prestigious reward for prestigious activities.

WoW has proven to which length player will go to get a specific mount and I feel GW2 is missing out by not offering such a progression path.

I'm all for mounts in GW2 to be added later, BUT they should be vanity only and not provide you with any increased movement speed.

With the way point system, I don't feel that they would make sense compared to other MMO worlds like WoW or SW:ToR. Especially with the signets and other utility skills that each profs have, I feel that mounts wouldn't make sense in a "movement speed-boost" sense.

I think that trying to compare the flight path system to the way point system is like trying to compare apples and oranges (excuse the cliche). Both are the same thing (methods of transportation), but both are radically different in how they work.

I honestly like how much way points cost in GW2 because it makes me think about if its worth it to travel between zones. If I wanted to go from the Ebonhawke Stronghold to Hoelbrak, its cheaper to head back through the gates to Divinity's Reach, then Lion's Arch, and then Hoelbrak than trying to just straight head to the way point. Took me a little bit longer, but cost me nothing compared to the almost 2s cost to insta-port (especially because I can spend that 2s in better ways than being lazy).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its so slow to get aroun even with waypoints, id rather just have a speed boost like in some of the cities.
    Its incredibly quick to travel around, it takes hardly any time at all to get anywhere on maps as there are large numbers of way points.

Add in portals to long distance travel and its more than sufficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Oh my dear Signet... best 6 Skill Points spent... ever.
    I'm jealous, but I might get swift kits on the next trait book.