So I have a build, I would like to downprice it a bit

Budget: Right now, the build is at 857$, but I was hoping to drop it down about 100 dollars

Resolution: The video card I currently have selected can go up to 2560 x 1600, but I don't think I will need to go that high.

Games / Settings Desired: Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim with the high res texture pack, Witcher 2 (This is an incomplete list). I am hoping to play these games at a high setting (Not necessarily ultra though).

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): None

Parts that can be reused: None

Do you need an OS? Yes, but I am not including it in the cost.

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Yes, but I am not including that in the cost.

My current parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gnq2

I ran the list by a friend who knows a ton about building computers and he liked the list, having helped me pick out the motherboard, graphics card, and memory. I just wanted to see if I could down scale this build by about $100 dollars and still get the performance I am looking for.

Thanks for your time!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

Get a cheaper PSU, drop the DVD drive, buy a cheaper case, cheaper hard drive, and buy stuff when it is on sale. You missed a $25 PSU and $40 case and other good deals that ended yesterday.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147153 Go with that case it's cheaper and comes with alot of free fans. That about 40 bucks there.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Get a cheaper PSU, drop the DVD drive, buy a cheaper case, cheaper hard drive, and buy stuff when it is on sale. You missed a $25 PSU and $40 case and other good deals that ended yesterday.
    I know I missed some of the newegg sales, but I did manage to snag a nice 23 inch monitor, a gaming mouse and a sound system on sale on Tigerdirect, since I will be needing those things anyway. I have my parts list pretty much finalized, but I am now debating waiting until cyber monday in order to order the parts.
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

Tada!

Much better in almost all aspects. -Strongly- suggest not going with just about everything else you have picked out. It's all outdated, overpriced or performs poorly compared to other similarly priced hardware. Especially the GTX 560 and 5400RPM HDD.

The 560 ti version would be the next choice if you don't want to go for the 7850 for whatever reason.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.24 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Power Supply: XFX 450W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($45.60 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $776.75
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-04 23:52 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by glo; 2012-09-05 at 03:55 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Tada!

Much better in almost all aspects. -Strongly- suggest not going with just about everything else you have picked out. It's all outdated, overpriced or performs poorly compared to other similarly priced hardware. Especially the GTX 560 and 5400RPM HDD.

The 560 ti version would be the next choice if you don't want to go for the 7850 for whatever reason.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.24 @ SuperBiiz)
    Thanks for the feedback!

As I mentioned, I am still open to ideas, and I like the look of this list. I know AMD graphics cards are good, but I guess I am partial to nVidia cards. I will run this list by my friend (Who knows a ton about building computers and parts), and get second opinions, just like I was doing here with his ideas It looks like our choices of RAM are quite similar, using Ripjaws. I will probably still use the case I have picked out currently.

Thanks for taking the time to make a list like this!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post

I will run this list by my friend (Who knows a ton about building computers and parts
    Glo knows more..no seriously he does..

still not a fan of nxzt cases though.

7850 is considerably better then the 560 and 560ti
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=543
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-09-05 at 07:50 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Tada!

Also, will 450 Watts on the power supply be enough to power all the parts you have picked out here? I am still learning a lot about building computers, but I know that a power supply is not something to skimp on. I do like that you picked one that is 80 Bronze certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    Also, will 450 Watts on the power supply be enough to power all the parts you have picked out here? I am still learning a lot about building computers, but I know that a power supply is not something to skimp on. I do like that you picked one that is 80 Bronze certified.
    If you don't overclock it should be boarderline ok. But get a little more if you do plan to OC

Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    If you don't overclock it should be boarderline ok. But get a little more if you do plan to OC
    No. It's perfectly fine if you overclock. TONS of room in that build to overclock as much as you want.

At stock settings the CPU + GPU at full load only consume 175~ watts.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

No. It's perfectly fine if you overclock. TONS of room in that build to overclock as much as you want.

At stock settings the CPU + GPU at full load only consume 175~ watts.
    Well that is good to know. I don't plan on doing overclocking for a long time, and not before doing a ton of research on it, since I hear that it is easy to mess up your parts if done wrong. I am still learning a lot about computers, so overclocking is a future thing.

Don't get that HD on your original parts list. Only 5400RPM, thats wayyy to slow for a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Don't get that HD on your original parts list. Only 5400RPM, thats wayyy to slow for a PC.
    Noted. I am hoping to find a good 750 gb 7200 RPM hard drive in order to have a balance between speed and space.

On a side note, I picked up a sound system, monitor (23 inch) and gaming mouse from Tigerdirect a few days ago while they were on sale. I am going to need those things, and since they were on sale and my other parts were not, I decided to take advantage of it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 09:10 PM ----------

So I have a new question. I like the build that Glo posted, but I was hoping to get a nVidia card. He reccomended a 560Ti card, and I have been looking through my options, but my question is this: What is the best card I could get for around the same price (200$ for the AMD card) or less? Many of the cards I have looked through seem to have heat problems, so it is rather daunting.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 09:11 PM ----------

So I have a new question. I like the build that Glo posted, but I was hoping to get a nVidia card. He reccomended a 560Ti card, and I have been looking through my options, but my question is this: What is the best card I could get for around the same price (200$ for the AMD card) or less? Many of the cards I have looked through seem to have heat problems, so it is rather daunting.