Page 30 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    So, my friend called me and asked a question. Basically, what happens if a player is defending with a creature with lifelink, and the rest of combat damage will ultimately kill her, before the life gained? He said he looked it up and the player would die anyway, but I swear it works the other way. Since combat damage and life gain through life link would take place simultaneously, the player would either never hit zero life, or it happens so suddenly that it doesn't matter.
    Your friend is incorrect, the player will not die. Lifelink was in the past a triggered ability, but it is no longer, and as such it will happen at the same time as every piece of damage is dealt. When state-based effects are checked, the player is still alive, never having been at 0 life.

Rumore going around that Scavenging Ooze will be in M14. If this happened it would probably mean bad things for Modern.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Rumore going around that Scavenging Ooze will be in M14. If this happened it would probably mean bad things for Modern.
    Who cares about modern, I want a foil one for my EDH

That said, yeah I think decks like living end and Dredgevine will be severely weakened by good maindeckable graveyard hate. The scooze is a beast.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Who cares about modern, I want a foil one for my EDH

That said, yeah I think decks like living end and Dredgevine will be severely weakened by good maindeckable graveyard hate. The scooze is a beast.
    Between Varolz, Loxodon Smiter, Ooze, and Voice there is a decent Junk deck shell right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I'm not big on building decks based around a single combo, but this one looks like it could be fun.

Engulfing Slagwurm + Lure

Now, what else to get that combo easy? Mask of Avacyn to keep it from being targeted. Spitting Image to get more of them if needed. Eternal Witness to get it or Lure back if it dies. Green Sun's Zenith to get one in play whenever you want. Nature's Spiral to get either back from the dead as well. Add typical mana generation. Now, how to live long enough?

We got some M14 spoilers the last few days. Still not sure why we have so few Modern Masters spoilers.

This hydra isn't terrible, it has some synergies with Cartel Aristocrat.

Advocate may mean beast tribal, but besides that it is a decent creature, the new 3/3 for GG with this could get big fast.

The angel is one that is bound to make some sort of impact after rotation, but I can't imagine it being a huge one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowborne Apostle and Demon work together, almost too well. I don't know. I'd rather go to Dark Supplicant/Scion of Darkness. Works so much better. Having to sacrifice six of the same card doesn't really make for a good chance, and the Demon itself isn't even that great. And it's mythic.

Chandra's Phoenix gets a reprint. Always a cool card. Where's Chandra's Spitfire?

That angel is freaking awesome. It's Ajani's Pridemate on crack.

Still can't pinpoint any story involving the slivers, or why they look humanoid.

Advocate of the Beast is cool, but I'd rather it be a best itself. Not to buff itself, but because my beast deck has enough non-beasts with elves for mana ramp and Wirewood Savage. I swear I draw more cards in that deck and my elf deck than any blue deck can claim.

Enlarge is awesome. Compare to Might of Oaks. Yeah, it's a sorcery, but I'll take trample any day.

Hunt the Weak feels overcosted. Prey Upon is only one mana, and a single +1/+1 counter isn't worth that much.

Kalonian Tusker, damnit. Not for any other reason other than I liked Watchwolf being awesome no matter what. Now, it's the same as a single-color card.

Vastwood Hydra seems to work well with Scavenge. Another cool effect, just when I think they can't do anything else with hydras.

Staff of the Wild Magus. You know, I always like the two-mana, "when you cast a [color} spell, gain 1 life. But, it seems they're too slow for everyone. This just seems slower, and not worth the extra benefit of proccing off of lands.

Staff of the Wild Magus. You know, I always like the two-mana, "when you cast a [color} spell, gain 1 life. But, it seems they're too slow for everyone. This just seems slower, and not worth the extra benefit of proccing off of lands.
    Somehow they made the lucky charm cycle even worse. Would it be so wrong to have a card like this?

Prismatic Lucky Charm 2

Artifact

When <name> enters the battlefield choose a color.

When a player casts a spell of the chosen color gain one life.

Hell, if they wanted it could cost 3 mana and tap for mana in addition to that cost. We don't need five cards for an effect that rarely ever gets played, even at the kitchen table.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prismatic wouldn't do much. People are going to put their colored charms in their deck anyway, and you still only get to pick one color. Prismatic really only works when it's something against your opponent, like Voice of All. The only way it would work if it tapped for one mana of that color. As the Staff of the Wild Mags is right now, but tap for mana. Right now, at uncommon, that thing sucks, really bad. It should have been a common, or uncommon with the mana ability.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:29 PM ----------

Meet Treant Sliver http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1368714612

Prismatic wouldn't do much. People are going to put their colored charms in their deck anyway, and you still only get to pick one color. Prismatic really only works when it's something against your opponent, like Voice of All. The only way it would work if it tapped for one mana of that color. As the Staff of the Wild Mags is right now, but tap for mana. Right now, at uncommon, that thing sucks, really bad. It should have been a common, or uncommon with the mana ability.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:29 PM ----------

Meet Treant Sliver http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1368714612
    The prismatic version would basically be the same thing, except not take up 5 cards of a core set. The reason the lucky charms or these new ones are uncommon is so you don't open them a lot in limited. I would be pretty pissed if I got more than 2 of them in my pool.

---------- Post added 2013-05-17 at 02:04 AM ----------

Still doesn't resemble a sliver, but the art is still pretty awesome and it is a pretty damn good limited beater that is a huge anthem effect for a good chunk of your pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the closest red will get to having creatures as big as green's.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...8&d=1368794627

Maybe Wizards finally realized that nobody want to waste a land putting an enchantment on it that prevents it from being used for mana (hello Tin Street Market).
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-05-17 at 05:02 PM.

This is the closest red will get to having creatures as big as green's.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...8&d=1368794627

Maybe Wizards finally realized that nobody want to waste a land putting an enchantment on it that prevents it from being used for mana (hello Tin Street Market).
    The card is still pretty bad overall anyways, haste is for the people that don't quite remember that even land creatures have summoning sickness. Also you can use Tin Street Market's effect the moment it is on a land, but the problem with Awaken the Ancient is that you are playing it turn 5 instead. If this untapped the land it wouldn't be too bad, but you are just asking to get Time Walked when play8ing an enchant like this so early in the game.I can still imagine this being decent though the curve for RDW usually tops at 5 so this could see some potential play.

Also again red gets pretty big creatures all of the time, the only difference is that they are normally not very good.

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 04:05 AM ----------

Spoilers galore!

I am loving Grim Return and those green cards.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-05-18 at 08:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ajani's chosen is awesome. Not as great as the one that gives you 4/4 flying angels, but still.

Great...another double strike sliver. Guess there's no point in playing Magic for a while.

Jace's Mindseeker is cool, but I think I'd rather have Geralf's Mindcrusher for the body and mill.

Ogre Battledriver is awesome. The one thing that always bugged me about Primal Forcemage, no haste. The buff isn't as good, but still

Thorncaster Sliver: Great, now they ping when they attack. Fuck...

Into the Wilds is great. more mana, more fun.

Primeval Bounty is insane. But I think it'd work better for me in green/blue than my beast or elf deck.

Ring of Three Wishes is Cool. Three tutors, and find a way to add counters.

I'm seeing a new Garruk coming, I just know it.

The slivers don't bother me too much as they cost a little bit too much to do anything, although that double striker could be a problem since I am imagining what Silverblade Paladin did to things, but the double striking sliver has to be in a specific deck to do much of anything.

I like Jace's Mindseeker because of the ability to play the instant or sorcery which matched my next Commander deck perfectly.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have came back to magic about 4 months ago after taking about 5 years off what I want to know is why does WotC have such a hard on for Jace.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    I have came back to magic about 4 months ago after taking about 5 years off what I want to know is why does WotC have such a hard on for Jace.
    The Lorwyn 5, and especially Jace, are pretty much their mascots for Magic. As for why Jace is the poster boy himself and WotC focuses on him more, I have no idea.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The Lorwyn 5, and especially Jace, are pretty much their mascots for Magic. As for why Jace is the poster boy himself and WotC focuses on him more, I have no idea.
    I know back in the day they use to have people like Karn, Crovax, Gerrard, Urza and people like that but now it just seems like its all about Jace and sometimes liliana or whatever her name is. IDK it's like they keep bringing him about in different sets that he probably shouldn't even be in (then again I haven't keep up with magic storyline since the Rath cycle).

I know back in the day they use to have people like Karn, Crovax, Gerrard, Urza and people like that but now it just seems like its all about Jace and sometimes liliana or whatever her name is. IDK it's like they keep bringing him about in different sets that he probably shouldn't even be in (then again I haven't keep up with magic storyline since the Rath cycle).
    Jace is on Ravnica during RTR so it makes sense he has a card, much in the same vein as Zendikar, because he was there chasing Chandra, although the whole 4 abilities thing I don't quite get what that means. The core sets can show whatever walker they want, but until Tamiyo they didn't have a blue walker that they could use to put into the core set as Tezzeret isn't best for a core set embodying artifacts and what not.

The Planeswalkers are Magic's mascots and selling points for some sets, and that belongs especially for Jace.

And Dark Confidant is in MM, like we all knew, but he is Mythic, looks like people will not have to worry about it's price dropping.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Garruk, and Chandra. I'm predicting a new Garruk, based on the type of green cards we've seen so far. I just wish they'd spice it up a little. Get Nissa back, get Koth back, someone, god, anyone but the ones we've seen so damn many times already. Where's Kiora? We need a green/blue planeswalker. On that note, we need a black/blue one too.

And Garruk, and Chandra. I'm predicting a new Garruk, based on the type of green cards we've seen so far. I just wish they'd spice it up a little. Get Nissa back, get Koth back, someone, god, anyone but the ones we've seen so damn many times already. Where's Kiora? We need a green/blue planeswalker. On that note, we need a black/blue one too.
    Well multicolored cards are just about a no go in core sets, Bolas being the only exception. We have seen Sorin and Gideon taking the place of two of them so it wouldn't be unheard of for other ones. Nissa wasn't exactly a character people liked, but I think that mostly came from her card being pretty awful, and only decent in elves. Koth is definitely a possibility and Tibalt could finally get some redemption as well, but of course Chandra seems to be the focus of M14 and Garruk has new art which most likely means a new card, plus the current Garruk has been around for 2 core sets. Of course Jace has been around for the problems I posted above, no blue walker that could easily show off blue's slice of the color pie in a core set, but now we have Tamiyo so sooner or later.

I will agree that Chandra, Garruk, and Jace needs a back seat for the core sets, but it wouldn't be surprising if we see them on more planes or seeing them in M15, if they do have new cards per the usual 2 core set print run. Garruk is probably the hardest to replace though as we don't have another green planeswalker that can show off green's slice of the pie easily, same reasoning why Jace kept showing up.

For Ajani we have Gideon and Elspeth, both who definitely show off white pretty well and we have seen Gideon take Ajani's place.
    For Jace we have Tamiyo who can replace him. Tezzeret is more focused on the artifact part of blue, which is probably a little too focused for a core set. Venser could work, but he is dead and until we see dead walkers getting a card I don't think we will be seeing him.
    For Lilianna we have Sorin who definitely works well and we have seen replaced. No other walkers around right now we could make pure black, besides Sifa Grent, but she is from the comic.
    For Chandra we have Koth, who is kind of on the edge of showing off the pie, and Tibalt which probably doesn't work either considering his pain for gain and Wizard's has been shying away from paying life for effects in the core set.
    For Garruk it is Nissa, who seems to have a niche for elves, but her character probably just needs to be fleshed out some more, plus some believe she will be the next G/B walker as she dabbles in black mana quite often. There is also Sarkhan or even Domri as possibilities, but with Sarkhan being more about dragons he fits red a little bit more than anything else and Domri has little story about him.

Most of the multicolored walkers are probably always going to be that. Vraska can probably only be mono black, but she is probably always going to G/B. Ral Zarek is always going to be an Izzet walker, being from Ravnica and from that guild. Sarkhan is mystery what he can be, but I wouldn't doubt red could easily be his home, if we ever do see him again and finally Nicol Bolas will always be his classic colors, unless he gets stronger.

I could see them reprinting Karn at some point.

Kiora's greatest chance of showing up is probably Theros, nothing like giant leviathans and sea creatures, which she loves, to show up and do something. People also think Vraska will show up, but only because of her being a gorgon and plenty of gorgons are on Theros.

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 02:39 AM ----------

New card found. This will unclog up some limited board states.

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 04:06 PM ----------

Ratchet Bomb is the buy a box promo for M14 and we have this doohicky.