If businesses are about making money then why does this not happen?

Square/Enix recently re-released FF7 on the PC. After years (at least since '06) of HD reboot rumors and thousands, nay, millions of people wanting it they just don't do it and instead release garbage ( 11, 13, 14 ).

I am sure every fanboy (including me) would love HD reboots of the first 9 Final Fantasy games with faster game play, better graphics, updated battle systems and even voice overs and maybe less flashy and time consuming summons and other spells. hell with the story 1/3 of the job is already done, all that's left is art and programming.

On a side note I would also like to see HD reboots of several other old titles like Chrono trigger and Einhander (I think that's how it is spelled).

Just my thoughts.

Deleted
    Well, I can't say much but, I would buy 7, 8 and 9 if they had a little upgrade. (especially 8) I would also love it if they made that FFX for the psvita. I'd love to have 7-10 all on 1 portable system, just ready for me to play whenever I wanted.

I can't be sure how many people want this, but I'd definately spend money on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/no-fina...iginal-6384331

"remake of Final Fantasy VII will happen once the company makes a new Final Fantasy title that succeeds the seventh game in terms of quality and sales, something the company has to date failed to do." `CEO Yoichi Wada

People have made mods of it to make it look better and such.

They are doing an hd version of X I believe.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    Square/Enix recently re-released FF7 on the PC. After years (at least since '06) of HD reboot rumors and thousands, nay, millions of people wanting it they just don't do it and instead release garbage ( 11, 13, 14 ).

I am sure every fanboy (including me) would love HD reboots of the first 9 Final Fantasy games with faster game play, better graphics, updated battle systems and even voice overs and maybe less flashy and time consuming summons and other spells. hell with the story 1/3 of the job is already done, all that's left is art and programming.

On a side note I would also like to see HD reboots of several other old titles like Chrono trigger and Einhander (I think that's how it is spelled).

Just my thoughts.
    Actually I'm fairly sure you're a minority. Even with the rosy goggles, most people wouldn't actually pay to play the same game again with prettier graphics.

There's some quote floating around by a rep from Square-Enix saying they don't want to do a remake of FFVII until one of their new games tops it. Considering the divided track record that is the Lightning saga, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 10:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post

"remake of Final Fantasy VII will happen once the company makes a new Final Fantasy title that succeeds the seventh game in terms of quality and sales, something the company has to date failed to do." `CEO Yoichi Wada

Ah, that's what I was thinking of, thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    A Legend of Dragoon reboot or being made in hd would be cool.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Square is going down the shitter already anyway. Reboots would only benefit them. besides they don't have to start with 7, thousands, nay, millions of people love the small part of the series that they have played (U.S. is 1, 4, and everything after and including 6 and EU is everything after and including 7). They can start with the first game.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 06:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Actually I'm fairly sure you're a minority. Even with the rosy goggles, most people wouldn't actually pay to play the same game again with prettier graphics.
    millions have already paid to play the same game with the same graphics. And I am not talking just graphics, I am talking a complete HD overhaul which includes updated battle systems, updated item, magic, and skill usage, possible voice overs, and seens as there are so many achievement whores out there may as well add those in too.
    Last edited by crawdaddy029; 2012-09-05 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never played 7, but it is on my list of things to do. I'm more-so a PC gamer, but I'm reluctant to buy any of these PC copies as I've heard many horror stories about terrible bugs requiring complete restarts of the game.

That being said, I would love a reboot of 7 with, at the very least, bug fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by razisgosu View Post
    I've never played 7, but it is on my list of things to do. I'm more-so a PC gamer, but I'm reluctant to buy any of these PC copies as I've heard many horror stories about terrible bugs requiring complete restarts of the game.

That being said, I would love a reboot of 7 with, at the very least, bug fixes.
    The re-release (so far) does not have any bugs. currently in the time line of beginning of disc 3.

This may be a little off topic, but how does the final fantasy 7 re-release function on your computer? Does Square-Enix have some form of steam that you need to install? Or does it function like any MMO where you install the game and it saves to the cloud when necessary?

I already have steam and origin (Thanks BF3) and don't want anymore of these things.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Legend of Dragoon reboot or being made in hd would be cool.
    I've been waiting years for this

Deleted
    I was actually going to make a topic with this, but I may as well just open it for discussion here.

I, myself, now, would play the shit out of a remake.
    But I have to ask myself...
    is that me talking, or just nostalgia?

I think all of the things that shaped me, the likes of FF7 and FF8 being very high on that list...
    But would I even play them if they were rebooted? I play them through once every few years, have good memories, knowing I'll replay them.

One of my favorite, my frustrating gaming experiences as a child was Rayman on the PS1.
    That shit was difficult.
    For the PSP Vita, which I own, they pretty much rebooted and went back to the old franchise model (after having LOADS of shit sequels and stuff).
    My initial reaction was "Yeah, this is awesome!!!!!!" and then after playing it I found that "Meh, this is okay. I feel like I should like it more, but it's not the same."
    I also bought the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, planning to spend hours reliving it all in HD...
    I am playing through, but very, very slowly, despite Metal Gear Solid holding some of my favorite ever gaming experiences in my life time.

Why don't they do it?
    I've been following this idea for years.
    And with all the information I have gathered, it just seems like... they just don't want to. No amount of money could make them.

FF7, FF8, FF9, FF1 and 2, FF10... I love them all. I wish Square would go back to the older battlesystem, screw the linear progression, but still with stunning graphics.
    To give me a NEW experience. FF13 was the worst game I have ever played. And I really wanted to like it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope the FFX HD isn't just for PS3, it's my favorite. FFVI is good but it's overhyped.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted
    One day I hope they release 7, 8 and 9 with updated graphics and re-recorded soundtracks.

IX in particular is my favourite of the 3, I still try to play it at least once a year. Still good even now:

9 has probably some of the best music.

Deleted
    Well I don't play FF but I can speculate.

Many companies have these things called "Visions for their future" These usually tend to be a load of BS and are never achieved, and because the business spends all their time trying to achieve the "vision", they miss out on the things that customer's really want.

Square will NEVER make a reboot of FF7, as the quote so accurately said. Why? Because they will never make a game that surpasses FF7. They are only focused on "Oooooh shiny pretty pictures". The story is complete shit now. Everything seems to be placed on Ivalice now, but based on the Ivalice of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, instead of the original FFTactics. They put so much effort on the pretty graphics that the story suffers greatly. And honestly, RPGs should be all about the story, not the graphics.

And I enjoy playing FF7 and FF9 still, 10+ years afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You listed XI under the garbage column I'm pretty sure that game was very successful as people have been playing it for 10 years now and it's getting another expansion soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    XI was great. It has it's flaws, but also had a few things that I like a lot more than WoW, overall that game welcome Elitist mentality (which I prefer) as people still stuck on 2nd expansion content by the 4th expansion. 3 things IMO that let it down was: 1) too grindy 2) most bosses are tank and spank 3) outdated graphics since it was made with the PS2 era. But game play wise it was good.

XIV while had a failed launch, the game is actually pretty playable now. I said playable as it isn't in the catergory of "good" yet, but yet being the key word as they literally re-made the entire game, and the new FFXIV will be released in November (and is looking really good atm), which I can't wait.

Altho I agree, I would LOVE a re-make of FF7, out of all the game, they re-made the one that doesn't need remaking the most (FFX, since graphics wise it was already way ahead of others), probably because it needed the least amount of work >.>;

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 10:17 PM ----------

One more thing, SE isn't doing the standard money move like most company.

FFXIV for example, the launch was horrid, the game was horrid, they can easily do some other failed MMORPG did, just make it free to play and let it survive by itself.

But SE didn't, they hired a new project manager to remake the entire game, from client, server, system, UI, game play, graphics, world map, game engine, even all the storyline quests are being remake, the only things left intacts are your characters (you keeping your character from the transition to 2.0), jobs (although they adding new ones too), AF (imagine like WoW's tier pieces, the gear that represent the class), and the core storyline (although all the quests and fights are being remake too).

This is a VERY expensive move, and very risky. Remaking the game costed them a lot of money, especially they had to do all these changed in a year. And even re-making the game, there is no gurantee that it will attract people, or it suddenly be classified as great, or the people that left might come back, there are so much risk involved.

But they are doing it because Final Fantasy is pretty much their flag ship title and they cannot stand to let it fail, hence the team pretty much had the company stood by them to get this project going, re-making a failed MMORPG is pretty much unheard of (yet), it will show how much pride they put in the name of Final Fantasy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_737h...ature=youtu.be here is a video of a quick interview of the developer showing the some of the changes made for 2.0)

Also another reason for the lack of other big title from them right now probably due to all the resource had been taken into FFXIV 2.0 atm, however they released video footage of a new upcoming game which uses a similar engine that they made for FFXIV http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/en/index.html looks good also)

Deleted
    You know what it is actually?

New FFs so forgettable.

I can remember so many characters and so much of the story and events from FF4-10 (hell, even 12 was pretty cool actually apart from the voice acting in places [and Panelo, worst char ever]). About the only thing I can remember about FF13 is that the main character is Lightning. Blitzed it in a weekend and didn't touch it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    They won't remake some of those because they don't want to destroy the brand name of the game.

The old squaresoft is gone. You might as well ask EA to remake Chrono Trigger. The results would be the same.