Graveyard Zerging

Hey guys, up until a few hours ago i was having alot of fun with the dungeons in guild wars 2. For must of them ,apart from one or two that have been design to a shocking poor level, you were require to always on your toe`s to stay alive. However today for the first time i noticed how horribly game breaking Graveyard zerging actual is. So far i have only done story modes and 2 explorable modes, and thus i have rarely died, but on the last boss of i believe the flame citadel, i made a huge mistake and was blasted off the edge of the arena dieing out right. I then ran back and managed to repeat this mistake about 4 , which normally would have made me furious at my own incompetence, but this time just left me dumbfounded. I was punished in no way, not even gear damage in this case for a mistake that in must other mmo`s would have had me out of the right until it ended or we wiped and re-tried. I never really noticed it on trash or when it happened to others as it had no real effect on me, but this really ruined what seem like a very fun boss. It seems A-net has made a potentially great PvE scene for its game and then destroyed it with one horrible mechanic.

Id like to know other peoples opinions on this and does it have any indepth purpose I am missing, because to me it feels like it really destroys the excitement of the dungeon and honestly i have gone from setting up a PvE group to run all the explorable modes with, to not caring about doing anymore dungeons outside of finishing off the story modes. Also just to clairfy i am not on about the down state, i actually like that. And even when someone is downed I like the idea of a group co-ordinating to res that member, I am only talking about , Dieing, waypointing and running back into the fight.

Just to add. something i didnt make clear, my gear was not damage as i died to falling damage. If I am not mistaken you gear is never damaged by that (what was killing me was the bosses knock back, was knocking me off the edge of the platform due to me having a terrible position)
    Last edited by ddsad2212; 2012-09-05 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Hey guys, up until a few hours ago i was having alot of fun with the dungeons in guild wars 2. For must of them ,apart from one or two that have been design to a shocking poor level, you were require to always on your toe`s to stay alive. However today for the first time i noticed how horribly game breaking Graveyard zerging actual is. So far i have only done story modes and 2 explorable modes, and thus i have rarely died, but on the last boss of i believe the flame citadel, i made a huge mistake and was blasted off the edge of the arena dieing out right. I then ran back and managed to repeat this mistake about 4 , which normally would have made me furious at my own incompetence, but this time just left me dumbfounded. I was punished in no way, not even gear damage in this case for a mistake that in must other mmo`s would have had me out of the right until it ended or we wiped and re-tried. I never really noticed it on trash or when it happened to others as it had no real effect on me, but this really ruined what seem like a very fun boss. It seems A-net has made a potentially great PvE scene for its game and then destroyed it with one horrible mechanic.

Id like to know other peoples opinions on this and does it have any indepth purpose I am missing, because to me it feels like it really destroys the excitement of the dungeon and honestly i have gone from setting up a PvE group to run all the explorable modes with, to not caring about doing anymore dungeons outside of finishing off the story modes. Also just to clairfy i am not on about the down state, i actually like that. And even when someone is downed I like the idea of a group co-ordinating to res that member, I am only talking about , Dieing, waypointing and running back into the fight.
    The bolded part must be a bug, everytime you die your gear takes dmg, unless there's an exception to this mechanic.

I kinda agree that graveyard zerging is a bad mechanic in the game, it makes the boss non fail-able so there's no realy challenge in just zerging him over and over again. I was kinda hoping it would be like that they closed a certain area around the boss and people outside couldn't enter, that way zerging would be stopped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    I was kinda hoping it would be like that they closed a certain area around the boss and people outside couldn't enter, that way zerging would be stopped.
    To be fair, that gives way to potential griefing, which we've seen in action for the past 7 years!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the gear not getting damaged is a bug, i've died a few times and had no such penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    The bolded part must be a bug, everytime you die your gear takes dmg, unless there's an exception to this mechanic.

I kinda agree that graveyard zerging is a bad mechanic in the game, it makes the boss non fail-able so there's no realy challenge in just zerging him over and over again. I was kinda hoping it would be like that they closed a certain area around the boss and people outside couldn't enter, that way zerging would be stopped.
    OP died from falling damage, falling damage doesn't hurt your gear therefore he didn't break any.

I do agree with the no zerging thing though... It just seems like a mechanic implemented to allow people that are REALLY bad at this game to complete a boss... And I doubt that large of a % wouldn't be able to clear story mode if GY zerging was removed....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I don't think this would be a real issue as far as finishing dungeons since most of the time the waypoint is very far away from the boss and really bad groups wouldn't be able to run back before it resets. Maybe they get 1 boss that's close to the waypoint but it seems so far that they are a far enough distance for this not to be an issue.

They could just add an increasing respawn timer which would act as a skill-check. It works in D3 or FPS games...

But at the same time, it's hit or miss. People will either have issues with not being able to run back (if they close it off) or being able to infinitely...then if they add the timer, people will complain.. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people most of the time

A lot of bosses don't allow for this with waypoint distances. Some are hard enough where it seems more appropriate given the GW2 design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    They could just add an increasing respawn timer which would act as a skill-check. It works in D3 or FPS games...

But at the same time, it's hit or miss. People will either have issues with not being able to run back (if they close it off) or being able to infinitely...then if they add the timer, people will complain.. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people most of the time

A lot of bosses don't allow for this with waypoint distances. Some are hard enough where it seems more appropriate given the GW2 design.
    Well anet said there's not a single boss that requires graveyard zerging (there are some that will auto down you and you have to just deal with it though) however, they have it there to make it easier on some of the players, personally I refuse to rejoins the fight if I die in it, but that's more of an ego thing then anything.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I think the GY zerging is fine. It allows them to keep the difficulty of the encounter at its current level but allowing lesser skilled players to beat the encounter by throwing gold at the problem. The reward in the end isn't about completing the boss now, its not like lesser skilled players should not be able to finish an instance. The reward is the good groups come out with tons of gold while the bad ones lose a significant amount and probably spend twice as long as they need to be in the instance. In the end I'm pretty sure GY zerging is not going to be the tactic of choice because it costs time and currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I do agree with the no zerging thing though... It just seems like a mechanic implemented to allow people that are REALLY bad at this game to complete a boss... And I doubt that large of a % wouldn't be able to clear story mode if GY zerging was removed....
    Wrong. It's no different than any other MMO. If you're bad in this game, you're GY zerging while the rest of the group carries you by staying alive and in combat while you run back. In any other MMO, you're bad, you die the rest of the group carries you while you lay there dead. This is simply GW2's version of a "battle res".

@WorldOfWorkcraft , i know they cant please everyone so why even try. In my mind it is simple, make Story mode a faceroll, even easier then it is now. But please leave explorable mode out of that, just tell people if you want to do explorable mode you have to preform to a certain standard. Why cant they have it, so that certain content is just hard to do, people dont complain about dark souls been to hard, so why cant that mentality be transferred over to explorable modes in GW2?

@Eggoman Know player who truly want to do the hardest content are in it to do it fastest and with the most profit, there in it to be truly challenged. I know thats not for everyone, but i think with dark souls and demon souls the number has risen hugely (i personally never even played them due to current lack of console) and it would be wise to cater to them.

And to give an example on how easy it is to rejoin most fights even if the run distance is huge. Currently the longest distance i have seen is in the last boss in explorable CM Asura path, the distance is huge yet it can still be made easily assuming not everyone dies at once, and in general most deaths in organised groups happen over a spread out period, not all at once so running back, especially for organised groups will be an easy to do tactic

Deleted
    I think some sort of respawn timer is in order. So far, while I've had groups where individuals died like 30 times I've never had one that has failed to complete the dungeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojou View Post
    Wrong. It's no different than any other MMO. If you're bad in this game, you're GY zerging while the rest of the group carries you by staying alive and in combat while you run back. In any other MMO, you're bad, you die the rest of the group carries you while you lay there dead. This is simply GW2's version of a "battle res".
    you know that's a good way to look at it....