10+ Year Old Account

Raiding 25man assistance, complete noob here.

Hello! I apologize, but I am not at all computer savvy, and usually consult guildmates on what I should do to my computer to upgrade it. I currently raid in 25mans, and even with almost every setting on low, my fps drops to abysmal lows during certain fights (Ultraxion, Blackhorn, and Madness come to mind). This is quite killing my shadow priest groove, so if someone could shed some light on my problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 Home 64bit
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor
    12GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    My internet provider is AT&T (Living in the middle of the Midwest, we don't get a lot to choose from with internet providers, so this probably isn't changing).

I run with DBM, Skada, Omen, and use Elvui, Gnosis casting bars, vuhdo, and Miksscrollingbattletext as part of my ui.
    I've updated my RAM and my graphics card within the last year.
    All I want is to be able to run 25mans on a decent setting without cripping lag (above 25 fps during a raid boss would be fine for me)

If there is anything else you need, just let me know. Again, not very good with this stuff. >.<
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Deleted
    Disabling recount/skada on some fights will boost your framerate considerably, specially Ultraxion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evory View Post
    Disabling recount/skada on some fights will boost your framerate considerably, specially Ultraxion.
    I wasn't sure if this applied to Skada, since I hear that it takes up a lot less memory than Recount. so I'll try that next week. =]

Is there anything computer-wise that is slowing me down? I was told my fps would improve dramatically with the new graphics card, and it did. If I sat in stormwind. I still get the same low framerates in raid, however.
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Deleted
    What is your budget? Think the best upgrade would be to grab a Z77 mobo and a i5 3570k.

Deleted
    Turning down addons that collect or in other ways interact with other players or player data will usually allow your CPU more space to work with the actual game engine. Recount, skada and addons that display damage taken or healing taken real-time will usually impact performance heavily when your computer monitors 24 other players. I'd suggest turning that off for hectic fights.

As for hardware, your GPU is totally fine for WoW. Your biggest upgrade would be a newer CPU, e.g. a 3570k.

Deleted
    The graphics card looks fine to me. You could get a few extra FPS with a higher model but nothing to write home about really. Unfortunately WoW is very much CPU bound, but even the most powerful CPU's will not make you play all 25man raid encounters at super frame rates, but it will help of course.

I'm playing with a Core i7 3930K clocked at 4.5Ghz with water cooling and a Geforce GTX680 (also water cooled) and even with this system I'm only just getting around 30fps on later stages of Ultraxion sometimes.
    Last edited by mmocb2358cdeee; 2012-09-06 at 01:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate all the input, and it's a relief to know none of my hardware is drastically holding me back. I will try next week without Skada and try to manage without Miks (but then how will I brag about my epic crits?!)

I don't really have the money to invest in more upgrades at this time (August-September is the biggest money sink for me, paying tuition fees/textbook costs and all), but I'll keep the CPU upgrade in mind next time I have money to spend.
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Deleted
    Let us know how it goes if disabling skada will make it "playable" then yeah that should be fine i guess till you can afford a cpu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by sasslefrassed View Post
    Hello! I apologize, but I am not at all computer savvy, and usually consult guildmates on what I should do to my computer to upgrade it. I currently raid in 25mans, and even with almost every setting on low, my fps drops to abysmal lows during certain fights (Ultraxion, Blackhorn, and Madness come to mind). This is quite killing my shadow priest groove, so if someone could shed some light on my problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 Home 64bit
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor
    12GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    My internet provider is AT&T (Living in the middle of the Midwest, we don't get a lot to choose from with internet providers, so this probably isn't changing).

I run with DBM, Skada, Omen, and use Elvui, Gnosis casting bars, vuhdo, and Miksscrollingbattletext as part of my ui.
    I've updated my RAM and my graphics card within the last year.
    All I want is to be able to run 25mans on a decent setting without cripping lag (above 25 fps during a raid boss would be fine for me)

If there is anything else you need, just let me know. Again, not very good with this stuff. >.<
    One thing id like to know is what is the resolution of your monitor ?!

Anyway, a Sandy Bridge Pentium and a H61 motherboard (or any better Sandy/Ivy CPU + any lga1155 mobo) would drastically improve your FPS. I dont know how to say that ... WoW hates AMD CPU , thats it, even a 40$ celeron is better than a Phenom X4 (Only for WoW , dont get me wrong plox). Ive build a 400$ rig to play WoW at my GF place, its a Pentium G620, 4gb ddr3 1066mhz, a 7750 (pretty much on par with 550 ti) and a 128gb ssd on a 720p TV. On Fair with 2xAA and 4xAF I drop around 40FPS on Ultraxion (with recount and few addons).