Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why people are so adverse to the idea of a damage meter in GW2. It's easy to see if people are staying alive and applying proper buffs/debuffs etc, why not be able to see how much damage they're doing? The only possible reason I can think of on ArenaNets behalf is 'cause they don't want a million kids whining that x spec's able to put up more conditions/boons easier while still doing more dmg etc.

Some people actually like competition in PvE too. Myself included.

It'll be similar to GW1 in that it will establish a loyal active following and others will come and go with expansions or whenever they feel like it. With no subscription fee, you just load it up whenever. I had GW1 and WoW since they first came out. I still play GW1 and still give them money. Given that gems can be bought with in game currency (and that I tend to become a mogul in pretty much every game I play), I am not sure if I'll give them much more of my actual money, but I will certainly make buying gems more attractive for those who do =)

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Not sure why people are so adverse to the idea of a damage meter in GW2. It's easy to see if people are staying alive and applying proper buffs/debuffs etc, why not be able to see how much damage they're doing? The only possible reason I can think of on ArenaNets behalf is 'cause they don't want a million kids whining that x spec's able to put up more conditions/boons easier while still doing more dmg etc.

Small changes in game design dramatically change player behavior. While a dps meter may seem like a good addition, the way it affects the community is so toxic that I prefer they stick to their guns and not implement it. I feel the same way about mounts, quest design, automatic LFG, and a few other intentionally not included features.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post

Well, players are players, they will ALWAYS find reasons to cry to ArenaNets and ask for buffs and shit.

I just think that a damage meter is a great addition to be able to test different rotations for example, see which one does the most DPS. It's also great to compare to other players as I mentioned earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    I honestly think it will end up F2P. That is NOT saying I think GW2 is a bad game - I love this game.
    Guild Wars 1 hasn't, and it was markedly smaller in terms of the hype it generated.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I would enjoy the pve side of the game if it had damage meters for the sake of competition. As of now - seeing how easy and time-consuming the bosses are i frequently afk-autoattack them as i simply don't care.

I don't think the game has got any appeal to hardcore gamers, i do find this game purely casual. The pvp is extremely hectic, the spvp maps are all the same - hold 3 points until you win, and pve doesn't reward you whatsoever, which is why it won't last. At least in my, and my friend's eyes.

Cantha or Elona revealed in part. I have a feeling that we might only visit 1 of those places and see a 4th new continent to the west. Also feel Tengu &/or Kodan will be playable at some point.

Gameplay wise;
    - Selectable skill slots per weapon
    - New class with elements of Rit, Monk and Paragon from GW1
    - More weapons [axe, fist, polearms, javelins, etc]
    - Guild halls
    - GvG
    - Squad based elite missions ala The Deep, Urgoz, Underworld
    - More of the same style of gameplay

GW 2 will have no future..sorry to say..it`s life psan won`t even compare to gw 1

At first I thought it would have no future because of the B2P model. Then when I started playing I thought it had as much future as skyrim (a few weeks). Now I think I will gladly play this game for a long time due to diversity, complexity, gameplay and the friends I will probably make. Farming a legendary with better looks/ PVP when bored for me seems more and more appealing the more I play.

Edit: oh, and 2 years into the future I imagine they will have at least an expansion witch will keep me busy for a couple of months.
    Last edited by parcus; 2012-09-06 at 02:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    raids

and if so

dmg meters plz

There was no damage meter in GW1's Urgoz/Deep/Underworld or the the other elite and HM areas.

Would not count on Anet suddenly having a change of heart.

Deleted
    Meh, dmg meter is already ridiculously useless in WoW and even less useful here. This game is too much about control, debuffing/buffing and the likes to have dps matter at all.

Deleted
    cool

then i'll just auto attack and apply bleeds

(ps: this is why i think events should be changed to a style like rift where your contribution is monitored)

There actually isn't an "auto-attack" in the sense of white damage ala EQ/WOW. The #1 skill is placed on auto fire by default but that can be changed. Depending on class and build having #1 on auto-fire can be detrimental. One might want to have #2 or something on auto fire instead.

The idea that the #1 skill is equal in purpose to the white attacks of other MMOs is not really correct. Ignores several design factors of the game but most importantly; those #1 skills are meant to be a significant damage source. They can be and are meant to be the majority source of damage for some builds/professions just fine.

#1 on auto-fire is not the same mechanically or design wise as auto attacking in Rift, EQ, WoW, et cetera.

Deleted
    oh i know that im just saying

most of my dmg as a thief comes from 1/5 using daggers, so i just auto on #1 and press 5 as needs be

pretty boring. on group events i just switch to my pistol/dagger, auto on #1 and alt tab for 10 minutes: if i die someone will res me so no worries ^^

The game will become Virtual Reality Guild Wars with L-A-R-P incorporated into it. Thats assuming we make it past 21st Dec this year :O oops!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiSeFooL View Post
    The game will become Virtual Reality Guild Wars with L-A-R-P incorporated into it. Thats assuming we make it past 21st Dec this year :O oops!
    Haha, the WII crushed my expectations for those kinds of innovations (various reasons), but the last Zelda was pretty dam good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    dmg meters plz
    most of the time, a damage meter would end up acting as a retard meter cause people wouldn't care about anything else but damage even if they would be able to bring superior support/control with little dps loss.
    get over it already, i don't think this will never be implemented in gw2 -hopefully-.

Deleted
    luckily there's already a way to measure dmg in gw2 using 3rd party programs but yknow!

Im hoping they don't implement damage meters, can you imagine map chat with a bunch of kids spamming recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Cantha or Elona revealed in part. I have a feeling that we might only visit 1 of those places and see a 4th new continent to the west. Also feel Tengu &/or Kodan will be playable at some point.

Gameplay wise;
    - Selectable skill slots per weapon
    - New class with elements of Rit, Monk and Paragon from GW1
    - More weapons [axe, fist, polearms, javelins, etc]
    - Guild halls
    - GvG
    - More of the same style of gameplay
    I agree with this, but also:

Some kind of Gold Sink. Player housing? Currently, my biggest issue i can see with endgame, is since the 'top gear' is so easily acquired, and since there is no raiding tiers, the amount of gold people have will get out of hand quickly.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog