The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Hillary as VP - Two Topics to Discuss

I would love to see Hillary as VP for Obama this time around. Two questions:

1) Would you like to see her on the 2012 ticket? Why, why not?

2) Could the DNC still add her to the ticket at this point? As a HUGE surprise and to galvanize the Dem voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Hillary Clinton does far more good in the world as the Secretary of State than as the VP. The VP doesn't really have all that much power. They preside over the Senate and have the tie-breaking vote, and can exert some level of influence that's completely overshadowed by the President.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think Hillary Clinton does far more good in the world as the Secretary of State than as the VP. The VP doesn't really have all that much power. They preside over the Senate and have the tie-breaking vote, and can exert some level of influence that's completely overshadowed by the President.
    And they are almost set up as the next candidate for their party. Which would be awesome. I agree, though, she is rocking as the Sec State.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And they are almost set up as the next candidate for their party. Which would be awesome. I agree, though, she is rocking as the Sec State.
    Hillary Clinton is currently 64 years old. By the time she assumed office in 2016, if she ran, she would be 69. Clinton has made it clear she doesn't want to be President anymore, probably likely because she doesn't want to be having to deal with the stresses of the White house at 69-73 (or even 77) years of age.

Hillary Clinton is currently 64 years old. By the time she assumed office in 2016, if she ran, she would be 69. Clinton has made it clear she doesn't want to be President anymore, probably likely because she doesn't want to be having to deal with the stresses of the White house at 69-73 (or even 77) years of age.
    She never stated for sure that she will never ever run for president again in her entire life. I do think, however, that she will decline the VP ticket in favor of staying in her current position. Even though she is a strong Democrat, she probably wants to distance herself from the whole mess which Obama's first term ended up to be. I honestly think that she will run again in 2016. But will America be ready to overlook the gender differences and elect the first woman president?

VPs are also typically asked to take on important projects/tasks, although their work is often in the background. Clinton even praised Biden last night for the big tasks that he undertook in the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeltons View Post
    But will America be ready to overlook the gender differences and elect the first woman president?
    I know it's an argument Democrats usually don't take, but I very much believe that if Obama was white she would have won the Democratic nomination instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeltons View Post
    She never stated for sure that she will never ever run for president again in her entire life. I do think, however, that she will decline the VP ticket in favor of staying in her current position. Even though she is a strong Democrat, she probably wants to distance herself from the whole mess which Obama's first term ended up to be. I honestly think that she will run again in 2016. But will America be ready to overlook the gender differences and elect the first woman president?
    I think the bigger issue for her is being a Clinton and being someone who didn't leave her cheating husband. The people who like her aren't going to care that she's a woman, and for those who care that she's a woman, it'll be overshadowed by those other things.

And yes, she did state she is not interested in running for President again.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I know it's an argument Democrats usually don't take, but I very much believe that if Obama was white she would have won the Democratic nomination instead.
    I agree 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    VPs are also typically asked to take on important projects/tasks, although their work is often in the background. Clinton even praised Biden last night for the big tasks that he undertook in the past 4 years.
    True, but I think the Secretary of State has a lot more power and influence in the end, unless the President dies.

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 02:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Possibly true. Obama did take home a disproportionately large amount of the black vote in both the primaries and the general election.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    True, but I think the Secretary of State has a lot more power and influence in the end, unless the President dies.
    She has publicly stated that when Obama is re-elected she will be stepping down as Sec State. She can always change her mind.