Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think a lot of people are just tired with WoW in general and only keep playing as their friends are there which is sometimes why new games find it hard to retain subscribers. New content in MoP will bring some back, but when they realise half their friends are gone and they are carrying rude randoms in LFR etc they will leave again.

People bitch and moan about SWTOR but it's actually a pretty fun game. I'm really looking forward to the new OP and warzone. I'm happy to stay (and subscribe) and on the off nights I can knock over some single player games that I've been neglecting. So far I've really enjoyed all of the content they have added and I really rate KUS and LI as two of the best dungeons I've done in any MMO. Another positive is that they added APAC servers so that I can get decent ping (less than 10 instead of 150-200 in other games) and it makes a huge difference to the enjoyment.

Don't think so, people that wanted to leave already left.

Our 8-man raidguild got pulverized by D3, I know from the previous raidguild that a lot of people wanted to play GW2. However, all of these left months ago, what will people really drive away from the game is going to be not kept promises along the line. I also hope that they will actually release stuff when it's ready and not wait for the 6 weeks period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    Our 8-man raidguild got pulverized by D3, I know from the previous raidguild that a lot of people wanted to play GW2. However, all of these left months ago, what will people really drive away from the game is going to be not kept promises along the line. I also hope that they will actually release stuff when it's ready and not wait for the 6 weeks period.
    We lost a few people to D3... but then they came crawling back. The same with GW2. People left due to GW2 and now they're back playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    I don't think MoP will have much of an impact on tor
    anyone that wanted to leave already left at this point
    This is certainly true for me. Until i find out that MOP is a must have game I will not be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_%2...ontent_updates

I'll just leave that there for you.

Infracted: Post constructively or not at all. You've had plenty of warnings.
    Thanks for that I never played Rift but always heard that they put alot of content. And w/e the moderation likes it or not , its inevitable comparing MMOs to MMOs, when iam discusing BMWs with my friends Mercedes came up. When Iam discusing Xbox, PS3 comes up. When Iam discusing Iphone, Android comes up.

12euros sub MMOs vs 12euros sub MMOs are bound to be compared its apples to apples since its same category for same ammount of money and time, one just cant compare Swtor to Perfect World(F2P), Now when Swtor goes F2P then will be apples to pumpkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Thanks for that I never played Rift but always heard that they put alot of content. And w/e the moderation likes it or not , its inevitable comparing MMOs to MMOs, when iam discusing BMWs with my friends Mercedes came up. When Iam discusing Xbox, PS3 comes up. When Iam discusing Iphone, Android comes up.

12euros sub MMOs vs 12euros sub MMOs are bound to be compared its apples to apples since its same category for same ammount of money and time, one just cant compare Swtor to Perfect World(F2P), Now when Swtor goes F2P then will be apples to pumpkins
    Its fine saying, "Hey Rift put out this content and so on and so forth" but blatantly posting a link as if it just ends the discussion is not a form of productive posting. I do agree that Rift stepped it up and put out A LOT of content quickly, but if you're going to compare games- do so in a way that will not provoke "this game is better than this game".

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Don't think so, people that wanted to leave already left.
    soooo.... the exact same reasoning on why all the other big online games that came out near big userbase dips then?

How long can the 'those people already left' argument work? there will always be new games coming out and we are seeing swtor updates very, very slowly. Just how much of the increasingly small playerbase fall into this 'would have left already if they wanted to' category that cannot be swayed by another game? because there WILL be something for every player that draws them away. its just an inevitability. new games come out, things that appeal more to your individual tastes and so on. Do you sincerely think the current state of swtor is so stellar that even a portion of this userbase could absolutely NEVER be swayed to try something new?

I mean granted we do see the overzealous official forum posters who are surprisingly more often than not in their mid 40's, have played few if any games besides swtor and think its the best game ever made , and i quote, "BECAUSE ITS STAR WARS!!!" but surely the minute extreme brand loyalty userbase known for a level of blind fanaticism that earned the moniker of 'biodrone' cant stick with a game forever.

Of course im not just talking about mists and torchlight 2 here, but the next 12 months is seeing a turnover on dev cycles and the next big releases are coming up. Its a certainty that things will happen that will pull even the most dedicated player away. Hell just look at something like resident evil 6. That might not pull many away, but it could pull a few for a while, and in the current state of the game pulling a few away from a server community could have wider impact on others incentives to keep playing and in turn effect the game.

Because lets be frank, the game is leaking money at this point. Every player deciding not to play is a slow death for a social massively multiplayer game.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    We lost a few people to D3... but then they came crawling back. The same with GW2. People left due to GW2 and now they're back playing again.
    Such is the ebb and flow of gamers and mmo players. If it wasn't at least to a point nobody would have ever played SWTOR. Some ppl will leave everytime a new game comes out, what brings them back is a good game and ppl they like to play with. Ppl leaving for other games can be a good thing too as it can often light a fire under the game your are playings ass and get things moving and improving. The biggest upside of the ppl that often do leave actually leaving is they are often the toxic personalities or ppl that flake out on doing anything they say they will in game, showing up for ops/rwz things of that nature.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I go around trying new games, but I still continue playing swtor. Right now I'm heavy into Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2, but still pay and play swtor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine people will start quitting in droves after mop is released and tor's population will go up

I am worried that SW:TOR is dieing already.

Im in Australia and we didnt get the server mergers on the ocianic servers. At the moment we are geting around 40-50 players on fleet in middle of the day, at night its only around 100 players on average during prime time australian playing hours.

I have watched lots of guilds fall apart (Im tracking them all) and it seems that we are geting less active players each week.

As to when WoW pandas coming out, I hope everyone doesnt go back to WoW, if so SW:TOR will be dead for us aussies playing on ocianic servers.
    I dont want to stop playing SW:TOR but if the player base is gone I will have to go back to WoW (I have a Mists coloectors edition ready just in case)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what its like for Oceanic servers, but I'm sorry to hear that

I know on my server, we have 600-800 on during primetime (on Fleet). I was leveling my Sorc on Dromund Kaas and there were 159 players there.

MoP is alot better than Cata, ofcourse swtor will loose subs to it.

Question is wether they'll come back or not, the easy answer is some will and some wont.

And then you'll gain some players who'll be dissapointed with MoP, in the end it all depends on how many will fall into each category.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    MoP is alot better than Cata,
    It will have to be. Cata cost blizzard 25% of its players.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    It will have to be. Cata cost blizzard 25% of its players.
    Lets be fair a year of ICC is responsible for a lot of that too.

OT I hope SWTOR stays as strong as it is or grows even if there is a dip starting after today. More ppl doesn't mean better and as long as BW/EA doesn't panic a few more leaving could be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I know I go around trying new games, but I still continue playing swtor. Right now I'm heavy into Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2, but still pay and play swtor.
    You will find that players who play that many games are a minority. MoP will have an impact, on SWToR, GW2, D3..everything. WoW's strong point is that it can make -people go back and try, wow expansion is a big deal even tho cata was crap.
    The point is will SWToR and others be able to lure the people back. Especially in case of SWToR who has had tons of bad press and has been written off by over half its playerbase from start till now.

I would love for SWToR to do well, it would be great for the genre to have competition but at this stage I think the only game releasing good content , on time is Rift. SWToR has a lot to prove. many people gave the game a try, it's the game who failed the people. SWToR has to bring a patch to compete with an entire expansion worth of wow content, it is not an easy feat especially since MoP does seem to have a decent amount of content. One raid or a couple of BG will not compete with MoP.

And before you call me wow fanboy, I am not buying MoP till I see how long it takes for blizz to bring out first patch and how much content it contains.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 01:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Lets be fair a year of ICC is responsible for a lot of that too.

OT I hope SWTOR stays as strong as it is or grows even if there is a dip starting after today. More ppl doesn't mean better and as long as BW/EA doesn't panic a few more leaving could be a good thing.
    A year of ICC did not do much damage actually, cata went on to be the highest selling PC game till it was overthrown by D3. Most people loved wotlk because so much content like ulduar, icc etc had such great re-playability

Too many people are hooked to WoW in one or another way... fortunately I never liked it but I've seen tons of people which spend several years, got their share of lvl 80's and what not so of course, they don't really want all this time spent to be for nothing. I'm not sure how many people are really only going back because the game is "better" than any other game but there will be a drop surely.

Deleted
    So, today after I played MoP and am lvl'ing my monk, I still have the urge to go back to swotor, I'm just going to play wow casual considering I made promises to friends there. Swotor however... is imo a more fun game to play.

WoW has fluff, Swotor has quality :/

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    You will find that players who play that many games are a minority. MoP will have an impact, on SWToR, GW2, D3..everything. WoW's strong point is that it can make -people go back and try, wow expansion is a big deal even tho cata was crap.
    The point is will SWToR and others be able to lure the people back. Especially in case of SWToR who has had tons of bad press and has been written off by over half its playerbase from start till now.

I would love for SWToR to do well, it would be great for the genre to have competition but at this stage I think the only game releasing good content , on time is Rift. SWToR has a lot to prove. many people gave the game a try, it's the game who failed the people. SWToR has to bring a patch to compete with an entire expansion worth of wow content, it is not an easy feat especially since MoP does seem to have a decent amount of content. One raid or a couple of BG will not compete with MoP.

And before you call me wow fanboy, I am not buying MoP till I see how long it takes for blizz to bring out first patch and how much content it contains.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 01:29 AM ----------

A year of ICC did not do much damage actually, cata went on to be the highest selling PC game till it was overthrown by D3. Most people loved wotlk because so much content like ulduar, icc etc had such great re-playability
    I disagree, it may not have made ppl quit right away. Ppl were on a ICC hangover and when Cata wasn't the best thing since the wheel they quit. ICC left a sour taste in ppls mouth that Cata just couldn't wash out.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 11:10 PM ----------

I can say this I saw some youtube videos of the RWZ group I ran with yesterday and I almost reactivated my account. Sadly there just isn't enough time in the day and too many conflicting times. If wed 7pm to 10 wasnt so damn popular for everything it might be doable.