Buying the digital download from Japan

Can anyone fill me in on how this works? I live in Japan, but would like to purchase this game digitally. Setting aside that most sites are sold-out at the moment, some sites directly tell me that I can't download the game from my region. What gives?

Digital sales were disabled due to the high influx of players. I don't think it's reactivated yet, though I haven't checked.

More importantly, most MMO's have region restrictions and place players accordingly. I know there should be a GW2 release in Japan. I don't know if it's released already or if the release date is later but since there should be one, you might need to get that version.

There are ways to get around the region requirement or special exceptions. The latter may involve talking to customer support to find out your options. If you're native Japanese then there's probably no chance. It's usually because they don't want players playing in inapproprate regions when they have servers dedicated to them.

Again, I'm not sure exactly how Areanet handles this but region locking is very standard for MMO's. Also, GW1 released in Japan and Taiwan and the lock may be in preparation for that.

I dunno, I haven't had to go through anything out of the ordinary for other online games. This is the first time I've gotten region slammed for an online PC game, which is why it seems weird. Like what if I have a friend back home in the U.S. buy it and tell me the CD-Key? Is the server going to actually reject me? I have never had ANY such problems with ANY other online game ranging from good old EverQuest to the recent Diablo 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have bough it when available. Paid in USD (if paid with yen, converted using the credit card +conversion fee + taxes).
    And you was able to play on NA servers. Considering doesn't seems available on japan a japanese version yet, you could try buying from australia, a boxed version. Not sure you're allowed. Maybe just wait a reopening of digital version.

Quote Originally Posted by CptSupermrkt View Post
    Can anyone fill me in on how this works? I live in Japan, but would like to purchase this game digitally. Setting aside that most sites are sold-out at the moment, some sites directly tell me that I can't download the game from my region. What gives?
    You can buy it from Amazon, but you must remember to use the address of United States

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    You should have bough it when available.
    Even if it was available right now, I still wouldn't buy it, until I know I can actually play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSupermrkt View Post
    Even if it was available right now, I still wouldn't buy it, until I know I can actually play it.
    That was 100% sure, Anet didn't warn any country. You can buy it even from a remote island, why not japan?

It's china the famous troublemaker about videogames and content, not japan