10+ Year Old Account

Making my first computer build, need some opinions

Hi, i recently decided to make my first computer build, i finally have to resources to get what i want without having to borrow money from my parents.
    I'm looking for opinion whether or not i chose the right components for my price range which is around 800$. Considering my country (Macedonia) i don't have all the models so my choice in parts is limited.

With that said here is what i chose:

Motherboard: MB Gigabyte H61M-S1 LGA1155 DDR3 1333MHz mATX SATA2 USB2.0 Ultra Durable 4
    Processor: i5-3750k
    GPU: ATI RADEON 6850 HD
    RAM:4x Kingston 4GB 1333MHz
    HDD: Toshiba 320GB 5400rmp
    Power Suply: PSU 550W Gembird PSU7X-Real Power,PFC,Intel 2.2 , Silent,2*Fan

The total cost of everything come up to 794$.

So i'm asking do i have a good value for my money or can i do better? Any input is helpful.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

The 6850 recommends a 500w or greater power supply, so 550 doesn't give you much room for upgrades later on. Depends a bit if you're running multiple hard drives and lots of USB devices etc. Then again that motherboard only has the one graphics slot anyway, so it's probably fine.
    Last edited by The High Druid; 2012-09-07 at 11:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    The 6850 recommends a 500w or greater power supply, so 550 doesn't give you much room for upgrades later on. Depends a bit if you're running multiple hard drives and lots of USB devices etc. Then again that motherboard only has the one graphics slot anyway, so it's probably fine.
    Thx for the response, the only thing i couldn't find on the selling site was the power requirement for 6850. Will a PSU 650W Gembird PSU8X-Real Power,PFC,Silent,2*Fan
    be enough or do i need a more powerful one?
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Here go a few points.

∙ Don't get the CPU K model unless you plan on overclocking(this should save you some money because the difference is negligible)
    ∙ If you do plan on overclocking get a better PSU

∙ You don't need 16GB of ram unless your doing things like video rendering, if you plan on just gaming 8GB is plenty
    ∙ At minimum you want a 7200rpm HD. Preferably 10800 (or Solid state drive)

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Thx for the response, the only thing i couldn't find on the selling site was the power requirement for 6850. Will a PSU 650W Gembird PSU8X-Real Power,PFC,Silent,2*Fan
    be enough or do i need a more powerful one?
    650 will be plenty and will leave room for later upgrades. 500 will do fine to start with, i'm currently running a 500watt PSU which was the minimum recommended for my GTX560 and im running an overclocked AMD CPU which apparently uses more power than the I5's and i have had no problem at all.
    Last edited by Alski; 2012-09-07 at 11:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Alski and Alric, tahnk you for your replies. I went back and rechecked what the supplier is offering and according to your input i can go with:

-CPU Core i5-3550 Quad 3.3GHz LGA 1155 6MB BOX, the non K version
    -1x 8GB RAM +1x 4GB, still haven't decided if i want that extra 4 or just leave it at 8 for starters.

As for the HDD, i have to external drives one with 2 TB and 1 with 250GB, and the current 240GB i have on this PC are doing it fine for me. I was considering getting a SSD at a later time, but with this changes i made i can spare the extra buck for it now. But seeing how the difference between the 320GB, 5400 rmp HDD and the 1TB 7200rm Seagate Spinpoint is about 30$, i can maybe go for it. Thanks again for your info, i'll post a revised build soon.

EDIT: New build
    Motherboard: MB Gigabyte H61M-S1 LGA1155 DDR3 1333MHz mATX SATA2 USB2.0 Ultra Durable 4
    Processor: CPU Core i5-3550 Quad 3.3GHz LGA 1155 6MB
    GPU: ATI RADEON 6850 HD
    RAM: 1x 8GB Kingston 1333 MHz
    HDD: Seagate Spinpoint 1TB 7200 rmp
    PSU: 650W Gembird PSU8X-Real Power,PFC,Silent,2*Fan
    Total price: 743$ this is without adding SSD or extra 4GB RAM. If i can afford only 1 of those, should i go with the SSD?
    Last edited by mirodin; 2012-09-07 at 01:38 PM.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Deleted
    Based on the Processor id still get a K model for overclocking at a later date, making the cpu last longer for newer software.

As for the ram, better to get 2 x 4gb so the memory can run in dual channel mode, it'll also be cheaper.

Regarding the HDD, personally Id not worry about the 1tb drive atm and just go for a 128gb SSD as that will give the biggest performance boost.

You should be fine with 8gb ram easily as very few games will even be able to adress that much.

I would also change the motherboard as the H series motherboards are generally for media pcs not for gaming pcs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    -1x 8GB RAM +1x 4GB, still haven't decided if i want that extra 4 or just leave it at 8 for starters.
    Never mix different sized ram sticks, it normally comes with problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading all the latest comments i decided to go back to the K version for the CPU and get 2x 4GM ram sticks. As far as the motherboard goes, the store i'm shopping doesn't have other boards in the same price range as the one i chose that support i5 processors. If you can recommend one that is good, i can try searching the stores here for it, if it's within my price range ofc.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!