Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Just say you're a 17 year old with a high-pitched voice... as long as you don't act like a 13 year old no one will ever have enough evidence to call you out.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MikkRees View Post
    In all honesty, just try to be honest and up front.

You could be 12, 20, even 40 years old that plays this game. And even then, there are people out there at that age who are just terrible at this game, and even immature with what they do and say.

Just find a place where they will accept you for who you are. If you feel your only way in getting in a good guild is by lying about your age, then do it. It only makes you go through a hassle during the whole time you're in there.

Good luck!
    I honestly don't see how it is a hassle. How often are people discussing their age in your guild, and how hard is it to type 17-18 instead of 13?

I am now 18, but I played WoW for several years, a bit like you. Honestly, all I did was join a guild, maybe lying at the beginning, but mostly just avoiding the question. Once the guild got comfortable with me and knew my worth, I'd be honest and tell them. I never had anyone kick me or rage at me for it. They're just usually saying something like

"Well, you don't look or sound like a X years old at all. Props to you."

I think its still possible to be taken seriously, but you have to prove they should do so. And yes, to have the chance to prove yourself, you probably have to lie/avoid the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

@OP, the biggest thing blocking you is the fact you have to listen to your parents. If they tell you it's time to get off, you have to bail early, etc.

Of course, like most people said, tweens are usually the ones who tend to cause the most drama in guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I dont think that was EVER an issue with ANY readleader Ive ever known
    sure, it's unlikely. But technically from a legal point of view, it is a consideration to be made.
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a rly pretty 14 year old in one of my classes in college. I swear to god she looks at least 18, if not 19. When I first got in the class I was planning to hit on her and then she said she was 14 and I was like: "Hooray for averting total embarrassment and guaranteed hard time as a so-called pedo". I guess that was a lil' off topic...

The point is you can pass as way older if you act the right way.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but older people can manage their time better than younger, so, there will be less probability that one of raiders will be off due to "my parents took me to something something today", or "i have a lot of homework to do today", or "LOL I'M DRINKING BEER RIGHT NOW I'M SO WASTED BUT I CAN TANK ANYWAYS"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I always run my guild based on merit, we've had people as young as 15 amongst our heroic raid teams. You just need to find the right guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't make an issue of it. If you're immature then you need to work on your maturity, if they have a problem with you ONLY because of your age and not your behavior then it is actually they who are immature. Find a group of people who don't care about age and make friends there. I'm 18 and have been playing WoW since I was twelve, people who did know my age assumed I knew a hell of a lot less than I actually did. People do have a negative stereotype about young people in general which has infuriated me for a very long time (people would assume they knew more than I did just because they were older...it still annoys me from time to time). I never hid my age, I just didn't mention it unless somebody asked.

The more respect you command the less people care about age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The reason for all of this, is because guilds have discovered time after time that they cant trust "teenagers". One day they show up, the next they pretend to be cool and "going out with friends to party!" And the guild miss one healer etc.
    Or another expl, they stay in guild for 2 months then just leave/quit, so we need to find another.
    Or the classic, if guild is really close to killing a boss and instead of waiting for next raid day, the raid is extended, and then "I cant, i have to go now"-> raid over

These are my experiences with teenagers, i did play with a very good Rdruid, he was 13y old, only problem was that he couldnt stay in extended raids, other than that he was awesome.
    Worst one, was mid LK fight, a guy we had on trial thought he was "mr cool", so had his "GF" talk on vent and laugh etc (this was in the middle of progress). I think that was the time in wow i had my worst moments (rageing-screaming on vent). One could say i acted childish, but when going for 1st kill, you dont have time to annoying people. Anyway he got kicked asap

sum up: (most young) cant be trusted, if they will show for raids etc. (not all, but most)

You should just apply to guilds, and tell them you are 13, if they think you are good, and you write a good app, then they will want to talk to you, just show you are an adult. If you get trial, then join for heroics/PvP/farming etc -> friends in guilds are important!
    Good luck!
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    @OP, the biggest thing blocking you is the fact you have to listen to your parents. If they tell you it's time to get off, you have to bail early, etc.

Of course, like most people said, tweens are usually the ones who tend to cause the most drama in guilds.
    Never had this problem my parents are aware I raid and as long as I don't screw up in school they are fine with me raiding a little late a few days a week.

I have raided with younger people that performed and behaved perfectly, but as others have pointed out you are often not in control of your time. Hardcore or somewhat hardcore raiding guilds need to depend on their players to be there when they say they will be.

Parents calling members to dinner, telling them to shut of the computer or simply pulling the power plug on the router causes problems.

There have been a few exceptions to be sure, but this is the biggest problem we have experienced with younger gamers so we tend to shy away from them for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gormiz View Post
    Never had this problem my parents are aware I raid and as long as I don't screw up in school they are fine with me raiding a little late a few days a week.
    Yes, but guilds aren't going to believe you, because teenagers are notorious for lying (not to say adults don't lie, but adults have less reason to lie about their parents). Just hide your age from the guild until you've reached a point where you're comfortable with them, where you're trusted and you've earned the respect.

Deleted
    You won't be able to change their way ot thinking. The best thing to do is to give them a fake age, as they have no way of know the truth.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    I know people that are immature at 18, so I don't know what age.
    im still immature at 23......its all about time and place
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

Just app to a guild you think you would like, put up some decent logs and and all of the usual stuff just to see that your a decent player even regardless of your age.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gormiz View Post
    I had a good guild (it disbanded) I had lots of friends in it and was known as Megatron due to my robotic voice I passed on as a really bad mic
    Most epic shit I ever read on this forum. Thanks for the awesome laughs.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 02:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoabutterz View Post
    Just app to a guild you think you would like, put up some decent logs and and all of the usual stuff just to see that your a decent player even regardless of your age.
    No guild questions the performance of people below 18. What they do question is the availability of that person for raiding (we all know kids have bedtimes), their psyche (kids are predisposed to impatience, uttering crap in the gchat 24/7 or doing "jokes" in the game that are only funny for themselves). Ofcourse these all can happen for people above 18 but the probability of that is much lower.

The only reason that my guild and i are hesitant with taking anyone under the age of 18 is simply the fact that kids can have parents walk in kick them off the pc and ban them or whatever for however long and BAM down a raider.

Or they have homework or chores or something that see them be late to raid or miss raid entirely without being able to let anyone know. That is really the only reason i have.

I tend to stay away from recruiting people around your age because of the subject matter of vent. While you've probably heard things as bad or worse than the things being said, it would still make people at least moderately uncomfortable and have to watch what they say.

As everyone else has mentioned, there is the issue of availability. While you personally may have parents that enable you to raid when you're scheduled to, a lot of young people don't and it just isn't worth the risk of being down a player should it come up.

It's nothing personal really, I've raided with several younger people and done arena with some at a very high rating before, the current guild that I run just isn't really appropriate for your age group.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    78% of statistics are made up.
    89% of people know that.

OT: Just keep searching, you'll find a nice guild. My old guild's tank was 15 and she was pretty awesome.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obby View Post
    im still immature at 23......its all about time and place
    I guess that the only thing that really matters is my voice then.