Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I guess ruining gameplay in the name of lore is perfectly acceptable these days by some people, too bad i personally disagree and so do a few others by looking at this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    No offense but your argument is just terrible. Basically it is well the lvl 20 quest said that you are aiding Destiny's Edge so you were stupid to expect to do anything cool yourselfs and then "you should think logically about this fight against a giant undead dragon whose body consists of other dragons, come on use some common sense dude!".
    I'm sorry, But really? I simply mentioned that the dragon logically would crush you're characters should you (heaven forbid) attempt to face it head on... or is logically thinking now wrong when it comes to answering questions that people have asked, and want an explanation for?

I think OP is trolling. In fact, the fight is truly epic. Never before have you bashed that button number two with such legendary fervor. Never before has something so big died with such a legendary button that it alone is enough. It's a true peak of all MMO innovation.

Guild Wars 2: Where game is so epic, even the number in the game makes your appropriate keyboard button absolutely legendary!

(Pretend I'm drakewurrum or one of a couple of other similar minded individuals for more "forum immersion").

P.S. I'm rather disappointed that most people got to do that fight only now. I've been sitting on the info for a couple of days now, and pretty much everyone in cursed shore seemed to be half disappointed, half making fun of the encounter most of the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Makes me laugh at people who just can't talk about anything bad in this game, i love this game but i'm more than happy to comment on something being not well done if it isn't, how else will they fix things, but nope some people still blindly argue saying stuff like this fight is good or w.e..it's really not. Opinions aside it's the final boss, an elder fucking dragon, and it does nothing at all. We fight waves of enemies, then sit there spamming a cannon at is for a few minutes.

Everything leading up to the fight was great, the instance was fun! Fighting his lieutenants was awesome, but then you fight him and it's just so bad. I understand that cannons are more powerful then sitting there stabbing a dragon, but there could be more to it, like him attacking, having more than one attack, just something..anything besides waves of enemies.

He just wasn't epic, he looked epic though i'll give him that.

Claw of Jormag was an excelent dragon fight, there were actual tactics, kind of. He was actually more of a challenge, the lieutenant of Jormag was more epic than an elder dragon..

10+ Year Old Account
    What I found most telling about the vid: No nerdscreams after finally beating him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Better start now than never.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zhaitan
    Probably sometime, but for now i cba

Deleted
    Funny that it's name resembles closely my first nickname "Zhaituki".

Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    I'm sorry, But really? I simply mentioned that the dragon logically would crush you're characters should you (heaven forbid) attempt to face it head on... or is logically thinking now wrong when it comes to answering questions that people have asked, and want an explanation for?
    Sure, you can look at it logically, but that still isn't an excuse for making a bad fight. It's a video game, it's supposed to be fun, and even if it isn't logical to take him head on, they could have made the fight more interesting or include better mechanics to actually make it a memorable fight. As it is now, it just leaves me thinking "that's it?" Claw of Jormag was a better designed fight than this, which shows that they CAN make better fights, but they dropped the ball here for whatever reason. Time restraints? Not giving a fuck? I dunno, but regardless, it makes me sad. I was looking forward to facing him.

So, has anyone completed the Exploration Mode of Arah? Are you sure that Zhaitan is dead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    Tbh I couldn't care less about lore, just give me a decent boss to kill at the end of a game not waves of adds.

It's kinda just an action game. Not sure what people were expecting out of the dragon fights. It was sorta obvious the dragon fights were more objective based than tactical/execution encounters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's kinda just an action game. Not sure what people were expecting out of the dragon fights. It was sorta obvious the dragon fights were more objective based than tactical/execution encounters.
    Such a weak excuse, weaker than it being lore, action games have some of the biggest and most exhilerating boss battles going, God of War, Shadow of colusses, metal gear solid could think of loads of action games that incorporate meaningful mechanics.

The last phase of the fight, starting around 9:15 in the video gets significantly more epic if you play this over it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04 start at 1:10 !

I too was pretty disappointed with how the fight played out. Hell some of the other bosses provided a more interesting challenge than Zhaitan... actually all of them did heh. Zhaitan was essentially a gauntlet event with no real encounter with the boss whatsoever.
    Last edited by Supersomething; 2012-09-09 at 03:10 AM.
    Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersomething View Post
    I too was pretty disappointed with how the fight played out. Hell some of the other bosses were provided a more interesting challenge than Zhaitan... actually all of them did heh. Zhaitan was essentially a gauntlet event with no real encounter with the boss whatsoever.
    I think this is kind of key. To feel like you are actually fighting something you need to get up close to it and hit it, or it needs to be able to bite your head off and things like this. If it's just flying around the whole time the fight just feels like an ad fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    As said, he doesn't dare to come too close to the ship to get his body shot in half again. Zhaitan knows fear, and rage, attacking the ship too close might end up really, really bad for him.
    Except he destroys the massive cannon immediately after it basically cuts him in half.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think the tower hugging section of the fight is bugged.... He does like 3 animations throughout it that look like they'd cause some chaos but NOTHING happens, players don't lose health, no adds spawn, nothing.... I'm really hoping it is bugged and as such will be a bit more epic after its fixed....

If its NOT bugged and he's just doing idol animations I'm going to be disapointed, lore wise him doing nothing doesn't fit, at all, period, the whole spawning adds thing and avoiding the ship, yes of course that works really well!! But doing nothing when he's cornered and facing death? Wtf? You'd think he'd be throwing out ALL the stops to try to destroy the ship so he can retreat and lick his wounds!!

PS: I'm glade he's afraid of that fuckinf ship, of he wasn't he'd just crush us beneath his feet and laugh...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Such a weak excuse, weaker than it being lore, action games have some of the biggest and most exhilerating boss battles going, God of War, Shadow of colusses, metal gear solid could think of loads of action games that incorporate meaningful mechanics.
    And those are all single player games where the encounter scripting is very tightly controlled. Different beast from an action MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    And those are all single player games where the encounter scripting is very tightly controlled. Different beast from an action MMO.
    Dont agree, Dont agree its an action mmo either, just because you chuck in dodge doesn't make it any harder to script than a regular hotkey MMO. There is no excuse for a dragon to stand on a tower being shot at with lazer guns as a final boss encounter, especially considering its a large scale mmo with massive boss encounters already incorporated

Dont agree, Dont agree its an action mmo either, just because you chuck in dodge doesn't make it any harder to script than a regular hotkey MMO. There is no excuse for a dragon to stand on a tower being shot at with lazer guns as a final boss encounter, especially considering its a large scale mmo with massive boss encounters already incorporated
    Yes the Zhaitan fight was terrible. It could've been much better. But do you really expect God of War style boss fights? You expect 5 separate players to use their weapons to scale a giant dragon and somehow have those 5 players all stay on the dragons back while doing some sort of "press this button to stab him in the back of the head". No, that's not going to happen in an MMO.

They should've handled Zhaitain similar to some of the world bosses. Heck, even the double dragon boss before him would of a been a good design for his fight. You fight a wave of adds, he comes to chomp down on the ship, you use laser cannons to get him off/stun him, then unload on his face.
    Last edited by Dodrin; 2012-09-08 at 04:28 PM.