Poll: How long?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    If there would be a fee, I wouldn't even touched it. I'm already scarcly playing it, haven't played it at all for a month.
    You know how I know you're lying? The game hasn't been out for a month -_-'
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    You know how I know you're lying? The game hasn't been out for a month -_-'
    Ha sorry, I actually meant a week ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    Ha sorry, I actually meant a week ^^
    Lol fair enough!! I know I havent been playing much this week either but that's more of a "my computer is dying" and "I have 2 tests and an essay this week" sort of thing xD
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Lol fair enough!! I know I havent been playing much this week either but that's more of a "my computer is dying" and "I have 2 tests and an essay this week" sort of thing xD
    I haven't been playing it either. I'm at level 9 I and I just got bored with it. I've been prepping my toons in WoW for MoP and my toons in Rift for Storm Legion anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    I personally see the lack of those features as a good thing.
    ... What? how could not having those things possibly be a good thing? Please explain.

As for PvP, I haven't had so much fun and meaningful variety in PvP maps ever since alterac valley
    So 1 pvp game type which is cycled between 4 very small maps is considered meaninfgul variety?

Grouping has not been an issue since 4 days after launch
    Grouping is STILL an issue. Tried 2 dungeons yesterday and both of them required us play around with the god awful overflow system untill we were actually all in the same overflow. And even then two of us couldn't enter the instance so we had to relog untill the game decided we were allowed inside. ))))

you are clearly trolling about endgame.
    I'm simply not, there is nothing special to do once you reach the end of the game. You can experience everything there is to do way before you get anywhere near level 80.

'Best game ever!'

How long would you play if you had to pay for it?

"One month"

lol.

Deleted
    I dont see how a sub fee has anything to do with how long I play a game. It works the other way of course, sub fees have the peculiar psychological effect of making you want to "get your moneys worth" even when its just a couple of bucks per month, barely enough to buy you a half decent meal....Epecially in combination with daily quests and dungeon reset timers and the like, thus making you log on when you normally would not. Maybe.

It's quite clear this isn't anywhere near what the thought process for the thread starter was, which I am unable to retrace to be honest so I voted Even more! because that's how long I will be playing GW2 and would be playing if it had a sub fee.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 03:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tabloid View Post
    ... What? how could not having those things possibly be a good thing? Please explain.

So 1 pvp game type which is cycled between 4 very small maps is considered meaninfgul variety?

Grouping is STILL an issue. Tried 2 dungeons yesterday and both of them required us play around with the god awful overflow system untill we were actually all in the same overflow. And even then two of us couldn't enter the instance so we had to relog untill the game decided we were allowed inside. ))))

I'm simply not, there is nothing special to do once you reach the end of the game. You can experience everything there is to do way before you get anywhere near level 80.
    That's what's so great about GW2. You dont ever reach the end of the game. There's just no end to all the fun!! It starts right at level 2 and goes all the way up to 80. Especially great if you make an alt, instead of having to grind up to start the actual game you just start enjoying it right after character creation. Love it.

I would, without hesitation, pay $15/month for this game, for as long as i was able to. I like it more than any other game I've played in the past four years and I was willing to pay for them.

Deleted
    Whilst the lack of a sub fee is clearly an incentive to keep playing the game, a modest sub fee wouldn't stop me playing either.

I play the game because I enjoy it, currently working on getting my second character to 80 and having a blast in dungeons on my 80 warrior. For me GW2 is pretty much the ideal mmorpg as it has very challenging dungeons compared to wow, which are ideally suited to a small group of real life friends playing together. I honestly feel that GW2 is a much more socially orientated game, that has got the pve difficulty level right. With wow the easy nature of dungeons and the face roll easy leveling content got boring very fast, and raiding never really appealed to me.

I won't however be resubscribing to MoP, because after having played the beta extensively I know the expansion simply doesn't offer the same level of immersive fun that GW2 does. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed MoP and in many ways it is the strongest and most feature packed expansion yet, but it is simply too late. MoP is the expansion that Cataclysm should have been.

I voted 1 month just because I no longer believe games need a monthly fee to stay afloat. And I only put one month because I am assuming that first month would be free. If it was not I would not have purchased it.
    Much less an increase of fee.
    For example - is warcraft with its 8 year old engine and same gameplay almost a decade old really worth 15 a month now after the box price? I don't think so.

Plus if it had a monthly fee and still had the gem shop then that would have been a major no no in my opinion. That would have had to cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    'Best game ever!'

How long would you play if you had to pay for it?

"One month"

lol.
    I think the people voting that its the best game ever are the cheapskates who don't want to drop $15 on a sub :P

In all seriousness though, it remains to be seen whether the b2p model will sustain itself long-term. Obviously they have limitations that sub-based companies don't have, since sub-based companies have a predictable, steady flow of income. A-net is banking on gem sales to pick up, but with the current exchange ratio - everyone I personally know is trading gold for gems and getting the necessary upgrades out of the way (bank slots, bag slots on their mains, deluxe edition for some, stocking up on mystic stones, etc).

One way that Anet could force people to use the gem shop more (and pay real cash for it) is to make gold grind so unbearable that people would buy gems and trade them for cash. They're kind of doing it with the cultural armor (t3 prices are outrageous) and certain few other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I think the people voting that its the best game ever are the cheapskates who don't want to drop $15 on a sub :P

In all seriousness though, it remains to be seen whether the b2p model will sustain itself long-term. Obviously they have limitations that sub-based companies don't have, since sub-based companies have a predictable, steady flow of income. A-net is banking on gem sales to pick up, but with the current exchange ratio - everyone I personally know is trading gold for gems and getting the necessary upgrades out of the way (bank slots, bag slots on their mains, deluxe edition for some, stocking up on mystic stones, etc).

One way that Anet could force people to use the gem shop more (and pay real cash for it) is to make gold grind so unbearable that people would buy gems and trade them for cash. They're kind of doing it with the cultural armor (t3 prices are outrageous) and certain few other things.
    If they made it almost a necessity to buy gems with real money to get anything worth having the game that would, in my opinion, be some kind of violation in my head and I would ask for a refund. I know it might take longer to acquire things the "legit way" but that time should not be so much more outrageously long it becomes a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by jschulth View Post
    If they made it almost a necessity to buy gems with real money to get anything worth having the game that would, in my opinion, be some kind of violation in my head and I would ask for a refund. I know it might take longer to acquire things the "legit way" but that time should not be so much more outrageously long it becomes a chore.
    Well, you'd still be able to hit your power plateau without paying for it (crafting a full set of zerkers gear at 80 right now is ~12-15g which is reasonably affordable by people without dipping into their wallets). Its the cosmetics that you'd have to shell out for.

Cultural armor right now is somewhere on the ballpark of 125-150g for a full set (I need to double-check the upper range on that). That is outrageously expensive, unless you're really good with money / tradepost navigation. Your cash flow per day (unless you play significantly more than an average person) is probably somewhere in the ballpark of +1-2g, unless you dedicate your time to farming stuff that sells well (potent bloods, for instance).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you'd still be able to hit your power plateau without paying for it (crafting a full set of zerkers gear at 80 right now is ~12-15g which is reasonably affordable by people without dipping into their wallets). Its the cosmetics that you'd have to shell out for.

Cultural armor right now is somewhere on the ballpark of 125-150g for a full set (I need to double-check the upper range on that). That is outrageously expensive, unless you're really good with money / tradepost navigation. Your cash flow per day (unless you play significantly more than an average person) is probably somewhere in the ballpark of +1-2g, unless you dedicate your time to farming stuff that sells well (potent bloods, for instance).
    Can't you also be a trixy hobbit and just transmute the lv 60 gear onto lv 80 gear so you get the stats you want and the gear you want? I know I personally have 6 stones that work on lv 80 gear (idk how I got em but I haven't bought gems in any way shape or form yet...)

Can't you also be a trixy hobbit and just transmute the lv 60 gear onto lv 80 gear so you get the stats you want and the gear you want? I know I personally have 6 stones that work on lv 80 gear (idk how I got em but I haven't bought gems in any way shape or form yet...)
    Certainly. My ele is wearing a mix of cultural t2 and crafted linen armor appearances, despite using level 80 exotic gear.

T2 is priced fairly appropriately, its only T3 that's super expensive (and for no good reason, since t2 looks just as good, if not better, for Sylvari at least :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's such marketing bullcrap. Every game "starts" the moment you make a character, there's nothing special that GW2 does early in the game that other MMO's don't do. Yeah, you can say, "But in other MMO's you have to hit the level cap before you can really raid!" and that's true, but GW2 doesn't fix that issue...they just removed raiding. That's like saying, "Don't like waiting for your meal when you come to a restaurant? Then come to McGuildies where we just don't serve food! See, no waiting on food!"

Hell, in other MMO's you can actually jump into group PvE content EARLIER in the game than you can in GW2 (since the first dungeon is level 30) PvP is the only place where GW2 can reasonably say, "You can go full-bore into this right from the start."
    Ya sure you jump into dungeons earlier in other games but what about quests? Those die off at lv cap in other games where I can do them all day long in GW2 and still had fun with them instead of going for wows Oneshotmaster oh I mean loremaster achievement, GW2 has MORE to do accross the whole game then forcing you to death march to lv cap before you can do anything all that fun...

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:04 AM ----------

Certainly. My ele is wearing a mix of cultural t2 and crafted linen armor appearances, despite using level 80 exotic gear.

T2 is priced fairly appropriately, its only T3 that's super expensive (and for no good reason, since t2 looks just as good, if not better, for Sylvari at least :P)
    Ooooooh they all look different ! Well then, that's simple T3 is going to be the "I have deep pockets" bragging armor kinda like how obby was in GW1

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't even make sense. WoW forces you to level cap to do "anything all that fun" but then you say that in GW2 you can roam around questing? You can do that all day long in other MMO's as well, if you want, right from level 1. That seems like a pretty huge disconnect, using questing as a selling point for GW2, but then acting as if other MMO's don't have it or something.

To put it bluntly, there's really not much that you can do in GW2 that you can't do in other MMO's. Yes, the presentation of the content is MUCH better for the most part, but the big difference is that they removed a chunk of content typical to MMO's and then marketed it as a feature, claiming that since the content isn't there, you don't need to level up to do it. People seem to be falling for it hook, line and sinker, too.

I like GW2, I'll keep playing it a long time, I'm sure. But if we're going to discuss it, I'd prefer that it be an honest discussion so at least people on the fence get a real image of what they'll be buying into.
    Name 1 MMO where you can continue to quest at max lv without pub stomping everything and then we can talk about how "every mmo can do it."

Where in other mmos Questing is a means to an end (that end being able to do "endgame") gw2 let's you choose what it is you want to do and let's you do it essentially whenever and it still being challenging which for what I feel is most people I better then being pidgeon holed into one option

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't even make sense. WoW forces you to level cap to do "anything all that fun" but then you say that in GW2 you can roam around questing? You can do that all day long in other MMO's as well, if you want, right from level 1.
    Yeah, funny thing about that, at level 85, all those quests in Desolace that I never did, are utterly worthless to me.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Yeah, funny thing about that, at level 85, all those quests in Desolace that I never did, are utterly worthless to me.
    Lore and fun, shouldn't that be enough?

10+ Year Old Account
    Going back to low level zones in GW2 and doing events isn't of all that much value, either. It's better than the 12 copper you'll get in Desolace at level 85, sure...but it's still a lot less than doing level 80 events.
    It's "less" than being max level, but it's still enough to be worth doing, from what I've seen.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.