Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you like most about GW2?

Someone point out there's a bunch of negative threads around, so let's change that:

"What do you like most about Guild Wars 2? Why?"

I enjoy how the PVE feels like you're reacting to the world. Your not just looking for the guy with an exclamation point above his head; you might end up heading to a heart (arguably the same thing but I do like the freedom of hearts more), yet along the way you react to a DE and get sucked across the map following a trail of interesting things happening. Then you see a dark, ominous cave and decide to see whats down there. At the end of this trap-filled, nest of mobs, you walk into an empty room which triggers an event for a big bad mini-boss. You were reacting to the world, and now it's reacted to you. You kill the vet or champ (if you're pro or had some people with you) and there's a chest to reward your efforts. You had NO reason to go into this cave other than "hey that looks really cool, I wonder what's down there!", and yet you're rewarded. I like that ALOT.

Something that needs less detail to describe is that I also like the sPvP and WvW.

The world is my favorite aspect of Guild Wars 2! It's so easy to get side-tracked when there is so much to see. It turned out to be a lot bigger than I originally anticipated it to be, and I feel an overwhelming urge to explore every inch of every zone whenever I enter a new area. You can tell that they really put a lot of effort into designing such a beautiful setting. I can't get enough of it!

Deleted
    The world ..... with the no sub fee coming in a close second ;P

The exploring and no sub fee, however some of the higher level zones are very buggy compared to the lower level zones (guess not enough testing was done)

Deleted
    ooh so many things.

1. I have to move!!!!! really, it makes combat so much more interesting, I can dodge roll and even just move before things hit, it makes it so much more interactive to play.
    2. the environment, world is huge and none of it is copy paste, it all feels individually hand crafted
    3. no sub fee, all this brilliant massive game for just the box price! (ok I have spent money in the gem store, I just had to have that armour!, but thats not required to play).

and many many more things I wont list here otherwise I will be a huge post.

Deleted
    I love the fact that different weapons gives you different skills, such a unique style I've not encountered before. The art direction is also amazing, really loving the textures and landscapes!

The most memorable part for me has beeen the feeling I get when playing through the first two nord zones. I really love the ice and snow setting, and the music is great too.

I also like the way chain events work, even if the events that don't chain are kind of boring a lot of the time.

Getting experience from exploring the map is also nice, assuming I have some interest in actually exploring it. I really liked exploring the two first nord zones, because I liked their feel so much, but few after that have held my interest (though the last nord zone was nice too, even if it's a shame that it's 70-80 instead of just 80 like I wish that it were). Especially the ones with fukken caves everywhere, and I won't get started on zones with lots of underwater content. I really wish the final nord zone was lvl 80 so that I wouldn't feel like I had to do those shitty cursed shores for the chance at the best gains.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

This thread should be titled - "what's the most fun thing you've done in GW2 so far" They did this in reddit and it was funny reading the stories...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...epressing_now/

I had my biggest laugh purely by accident. I was in some arena in the mountain where the cages opened and closed releasing more animals into the arena. I fired my point blank shot and knocked the veteran mob back into his cage. Everyone followed to kill him and the door closed trapping them all in. watching all the funny speech bubbles pop up from inside the cage was sooo funny. The closest waypoint was 10ft away so no real harm was done. I should add that that was the last wave from that particular cage so it wasn't going to open again until the event started up again (+5 mins)

So far, the jumping puzzles/exploration, a freind and i completed all the jumping puzzles and its some of the most fun ive had in an MMO for a while now. Everything else has been somewhat medicore, not bad but not amazing either.

Only having 5 skills per weapon gets pretty boring when you learn all skills by lvl 4 and then stick with a weapon set untill 80, the dungeons ive done so far have been pretty bad with a horrible horrible ending to the story line, if you think DW was bad wait till you try Zhaitan...

The pvp is pretty good but the WvWvW, which is one of the games big seeling points, often just boils down to "who has the biggest zerg", hopefully this will change later once we get some big guilds dukeing it out for honor and glory, but till then hop on the zerg train and be sure you're there to finish off downed people.

I in no way regret buying the game, as other have said in part because it has no subscription fee, but i feel that a lot of the things it does, it should do better.
    Last edited by Smeeh; 2012-09-09 at 10:18 PM.

The world and exploring it.

I managed without any outside help, to stumble upon a jumping puzzle known as Scavenger's Chasm, and subsequently complete it. It was an IMMENSE jumping puzzle, and the only way one would ever, ever find is by dropping off the edge of a cliff onto a tiny platform and then crawling through a rather small opening. It consisted of searching around a huge vertical area to find 12 glowing orbs that you used to power locks and open 3 chests, and you only get the achievement for the place after finding all 12, some of which are very deviously hidden.

At least two of them I stumbled upon out of pure, dumb luck, and know that had I not been so lucky, I would've sat around searching for hours trying to find them. As it was, the puzzle took me an hour and a half to complete the first time, though I went back today and breezed through it in 20 minutes, knowing all the little tricks. :P

Mind you, being an engineer with Jump Shot helps. Jump shot is cheating. It really is.

I'm also becoming dangerously addicted to Mystic Forge meddling.

Deleted
    That the sPvP & tPvP is competitve, every* other MMO absolutely fails at PvP, because they insist on making it like PvE and putting in things like gear ranks, rep grinds for amulets / consumbles or simply additional grind like PA in rift, all of which make the PvP an unbalnced, unskilled, uncompetitve failure (hence PvP tends to die a death in most MMOs), so it is an absolute joy to play PvP where skill/tactics/teamwork are rewarded, that is someone beats me they deserved it, that I don; thave to come up to undergeared/underpowered players and fall asleep from the boredom of the awful PvP.

* - The exceptions are games like EVE, they still fail in terms of balance/competiveness, but the sandbox thing gives a differtn type of PvP which is good in its own way.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world, it's huge, alive, pretty, amazing to explore. Just wow

Deleted
    Has to be the fun combat.

As for the funniest thing I did, a friend and I sat in a crowded place and recited the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme but tuning it towards his pet devourer, Joe.

"In west Ascalon, born and raised, Plains of Ashford's where he spent most of his days..." etc. My friend did the ENTIRE thing and I couldn't stop laughing at how good it was. Nobody else acknowledged it so we stuck to naked synchronised dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    First I'd like to say I'm not much of an explorer when it comes to MMos at all, but the designs not to mention the environment of GW2 completely changes that for me. But the world is just one of the things I really like about this game, I love the combat. Though you only get 5 skills to choose from for each weapon, the way the combat is designed allows for more possibilities for the player to create to overcome challenges. And last but not least, I'm just having a ball in WvW with my guild being an old DAoC player that's not really surprising I suppose

10+ Year Old Account
    Just...everything about the thief. I love the animations, the aesthetic, the feel...very well built prof IMO.

The art of the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Someone point out there's a bunch of negative threads around, so let's change that:

"What do you like most about Guild Wars 2? Why?"
    While some might call it "zergy." I am impressed with how well GW2 inspires people to help each other. The DE's attract more and more players who are perfectly willing to put themselves "in the line of fire" to help rez others. The game may not encourage grouping, per se, but it does encourage teamwork while minimalizing competition in the PvE environment. Case in point being the absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, instanced resource nodes. Wiping out "node ninjas" in one fell swoop.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Exploring, Crafting and fighting.

Today i had a really fun experience. I was trying to get the Toppled Wall vista in Diessa Plateau, it's an annoying vista because you have to jump a lot and kill lots of "elites". And the respawn rate on those ghosts is insane, as soon as you clear a room you see them respawning. Me and another guy started it, soon we had 5-6 guys trying to do it. Eventually we'd fall and die and laugh a lot. It took at least 1 hour for everyone to reach the vista and sp. Some people rush the game, for me it's this kind of moment that makes my experience something unique.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    First time logging in, the character creation and customization grabbed me.
    Then the active combat & spell animations blew my mind.
    Then the world ....this big, expansive, ever-changingly reactive, immensely explorable world took my breath away.

I love the challenge. Keep bringing it, Tyria!
    Valar morghulis