Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    NC Soft probably wanted
    NCSoft has nothing to do with this game's design.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    NCSoft has nothing to do with this game's design.
    That is not correct

SOKO publisher/developer relationship doesn't work the same way as NA does. NC Soft is a very different company than Activision or EA, which you're probably more familiar with
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    That is not correct

SOKO publisher/developer relationship doesn't work the same way as NA does. NC Soft is a very different company than Activision or EA, which you're probably more familiar with
    No, what I'm familiar with is the simple fact that Arena Net was given full independence.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

No, what I'm familiar with is the simple fact that Arena Net was given full independence.
    That's just not how it works in SOKO
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just not how it works in SOKO
    You seem to be forgetting about NCSoft West.

You seem to be forgetting about NCSoft West.
    They're owned by the parent company, though. In the end, the main NC Soft is the one calling the shots. You can easily see this in game, with the high amount of Asian influence in visuals and design, as well as the countless similarities to Aion

10+ Year Old Account
    They're owned by the parent company, though. In the end, the main NC Soft is the one calling the shots. You can easily see this in game, with the high amount of Asian influence in visuals and design, as well as the countless similarities to Aion
    LOL!

There is nothing "asian" about the visuals and design... If you want to see an MMO with "asian" graphics, go take a look at TERA, which looks vastly different from GW2.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-12 at 02:39 PM.

LOL!

There is nothing "asian" about the visuals and design...
    It is very distinctively Asian. Many of the Human faces are Asian, a lot of the environments look like an Asian game, the gear looks like Asian game gear, etc

This isn't a bad thing, just an observation

It is very distinctively Asian. Many of the Human faces are Asian, a lot of the environments look like an Asian game, the gear looks like Asian game gear, etc

Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

The art is generally not Asian, and the parts of the game that are Asian are done so deliberately because there is an Asian-themed land in the GW universe.

10+ Year Old Account

HERPADER IDK ANYTHING SO I SAY IT R ASIAN!! ERRRR!

That's pretty much how you're sounding... The reason the humans have options for Asian faces is because you can be GASP canthan!! In other words Asian!!

As for the environments and armor... They look NOTHING like Asian armor, for starters females actually wear armor which tends to not happen in Asian games... Not to mention that the environment is not nearly as "anime" as a lot of Asian games, geez you people always confuse painterly design with Asian....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    HERPADER IDK ANYTHING SO I SAY IT R ASIAN!! ERRRR!

That's pretty much how you're sounding... The reason the humans have options for Asian faces is because you can be GASP canthan!! In other words Asian!!

As for the environments and armor... They look NOTHING like Asian armor, for starters females actually wear armor which tends to not happen in Asian games... Not to mention that the environment is not nearly as "anime" as a lot of Asian games, geez you people always confuse painterly design with Asian....
    theres a MoP joke in there somewhere...
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    This whole "asian artstyle" thing is just ridiculous in general. This artstyle that everybody calls "anime" is simply an art style that uses oversized eyes, in order to help convey a character's emotions more clearly to the audience. (often it also includes a mouth that can be extremely tiny one moment, and extremely head-consumingly large the next)
    And while we're at it, let's just pretend in ignorance that EVERY anime does this, rather than all having their own unique art styles.

You want to know where anime got this idea from? You want to know where they got the inspiration for that from? These:

And even this cute little fella:

Rather specifically, American cartoons. The way human culture has grown over the years, there is nothing that exclusively belongs to one culture anymore. We're all exchanging ideas and inspiring new ones all around.

Now let's allow this silly off-topic discussion to die.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-12 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those look nothing like, nor did that describe anime..... However the whole blending cultures part is true and where the inspiration came from is plausible...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those look nothing like, nor did that describe anime..... However the whole blending cultures part is true and where the inspiration came from is plausible...
    No, they don't look exactly like anime. That's why it inspired anime, rather than anime copying it. If you pay attention to the art style involved, you will notice that the facial features, especially the eyes, are oversized - the heads are even ridiculously large - and therefore more expressive in regards to conveying emotion. The artist who is believed to have originated the "anime" style drew on those cartoons as inspiration, and went for even larger, more expressive facial features.
    It's easier to notice this with Looney Tunes characters than Disney characters, I think, but you see what I'm getting at.

More to the point, and I'm too lazy to actually go screencap my in-game characters, the faces of my GW2 characters are all extremely realistic. Hell, on every single face, I've had to enlarge the eyes and reduce their squint, because I feel like I can't see the eyes at all. (especially on some Charr faces)

Asura are the only ones with over-sized eyes, but that's because they're meant to look similar to greys (hell, they're even pear-shaped!).
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-12 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they don't look exactly like anime. That's why it inspired anime, rather than anime copying it. If you pay attention to the art style involved, you will notice that the facial features, especially the eyes, are oversized - the heads are even ridiculously large - and therefore more expressive in regards to conveying emotion. The artist who is believed to have originated the "anime" style drew on those cartoons as inspiration, and went for even larger, more expressive facial features.
    It's easier to notice this with Looney Tunes characters than Disney characters, I think, but you see what I'm getting at.

More to the point, and I'm too lazy to actually go screencap my in-game characters, the faces of my GW2 characters are all extremely realistic. Hell, on every single face, I've had to enlarge the eyes and reduce their squint, because I feel like I can't see the eyes at all. (especially on some Charr faces)

Asura are the only ones with over-sized eyes, but that's because they're meant to look similar to greys (hell, they're even pear-shaped!).
    You probably want to explain what "the grays" are since not everyone knows that it means aliens
    The Original Ganksta

Yea, guys. Stay on topic. Don't persist with this anime discussion.

--Fencers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, guys. Stay on topic. Don't persist with this anime discussion.

--Fencers
    Threads already perma-railed once that one raider ran out of arguments and resorted to calling the game asian. Threads as good as locked now
    The Original Ganksta