Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

What makes 9/11 so tremendously important?

This is not meant as a nation bash. As an European I simply do not understand why 9/11 gets so much attention and would like to know why.

In the history of mankind there have been billions of deaths, millions of murders and thousands of mass murders.
    Yet, for some reason, 9/11 always gets a tremendous amount of attention. Granted, about 3000 people died ... not an enormous amount of people though ... it was a horrible thing. But WHY is it still so ... 'newsworthy' 11 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    This is not meant as a nation bash. As an European I simply do not understand why 9/11 gets so much attention and would like to know why.

In the history of mankind there have been billions of deaths, millions of murders and thousands of mass murders.
    Yet, for some reason, 9/11 always gets a tremendous amount of attention. Granted, about 3000 people died ... not an enormous amount of people though ... it was a horrible thing. But WHY is it still so ... 'newsworthy' 11 years later.
    Simple, Americans aren't used to fighting on their own soil and taking civvy casualties. (Don't view this as a bash either - its an neutral, not accusatory, imho).

Deleted
    It is tremendously important because it happened in the USA, if it happened somewhere else no would would have cared(no one from outside the a specific country) for about 1 year and people who did would have moved on sometime after the event. But no the Americans, they like to remember people that terrorism is a bad thing and that they are victims.

Tbh, I don't understand why people still talk about 11/9, it happened 11 years ago. I can understand that it can be celebrated(still weird), but I just don't understand why countries, other than the US, still put this "event" on the news, or still talk about. I think there's no big deal with this tragedy, I mean just move on... I don't mean to offend anyone but I just think that people are overreacting with this and are making this tragedy bigger than it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very important to Americans, and everyone else have to care too, or else we get bombed in the face.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-12 at 12:52 AM.

Deleted
    Totally agree with the posts above, all of them.

Kinda pathetic.

Because it was a drama that played out on live tv to hundreds of millions or maybe even billions of people watching.

And it didn't happen in some wartorn region of the world. It happened in New York City, Washington DC, and then finally somewhere in Pennsylvania.

And because the main part of the attack happened to something very special: a pair of the tallest buildings in the world and one of the most known symbols of capitalism/commerce. It was also against The Pentagon which is the central symbol of US military might. It wasn't some buildings that you had never heard of like some random shopping mall or office tower. Because the towers were so tall and because the method of attack was so unusual and impacts such an essential part of modern life (air travel), it created significantly more drama.

New scientific research has shown that earth and in fact the entire universe revolves around america.

It was probably due to how it occurred right in the middle of a large, populated city, where people assume that they're safe from threats like that. I suppose it's different (although no more or less meaningful) from casualties during wars, as those casualties are expected.

It should be remembered for the false flag it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Tbh, I don't understand why people still talk about 11/9, it happened 11 years ago. I can understand that it can be celebrated(still weird), but I just don't understand why countries, other than the US, still put this "event" on the news, or still talk about. I think there's no big deal with this tragedy, I mean just move on... I don't mean to offend anyone but I just think that people are overreacting with this and are making this tragedy bigger than it is.
    At this point it pays to keep the hype going, for many reasons. As long as you keep the tragedy fresh in peoples heads, you can a) justify excessive military spending on a war with ghosts and b) profit from its commercialization to the extreme. Tshirts, mugs, action dolls, statues, posters, museums, and so on and so forth. Capitalism 101 - making money from whatever you can make money from.

I personally don't understand it, despite being an American myself. Nobody I know still makes a big deal out of 9/11 anymore. It seems to mostly be the media and the extreme patriots that make a huge deal about it. If you think about it though, they do the same thing with Pearl Harbor, etc. I don't even remember 9/11 very well because I was in the third grade and didn't even know what was going on. But yeah, it beats me. It definitely was a sad event, but moving on is important.

Deleted
    Americans love to play the victim. Nuff said.

Just curious, how long did we celebrate/grieve the anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
    Moo.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow look another America bashing thread on mmo champions what are the chances of that.......oh pretty good since the moderators never do anything about it in fact in some cases they join in
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    Just curious, how long did we celebrate/grieve the anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
    Some people still do.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    Americans love to play the victim. Nuff said.
    Generalize, much?

I didn't see the other mass murders on tv, so at a risk of sounding very cynical, it had a higher "entertainment" value because we all have seen it, everyone can picture the planes going into the tower.

Other thene that, it's just one more in a big list of horrible things, and I agree that it gets to much media coverage so many years later.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is saying it has to be a big deal for you. For some of us, it still is. Why exactly do you care?

15+ Year Old Account
    we got to chatting about it at work today, and basically its one of the biggest events to have happened in recent memory.

Deleted
    In a country so young, defining moments are thin on the ground and as such, events like this are latched onto and embedded into the psyche to make up for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    No one is saying it has to be a big deal for you. For some of us, it still is. Why exactly do you care?
    Since we get bombared with 9/11 messages every year, it does bother me. Feel sad about it? Keep it quiet, and don't shove it down my throat.