Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It matters because the world watched as peoples' lives were snuffed out in front of them. You were witness to the last moments of thousands of people, so that's bound to make an impression.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    wow look another America bashing thread on mmo champions what are the chances of that.......oh pretty good since the moderators never do anything about it in fact in some cases they join in
    No one here bashed Americans, we just posted our opinions here about this event that occurred 11 years ago and what we think about it still being "celebrated"(if that's the right word to say). When I gave my opinion I just said what I thought about it and it's celebration.

Well lets ignore the human interest aspect of it. It was probably THE event of the last decade. It has had implications that are still felt today in not just the USA but a good chunk of the world. Yes there have been worse atrocities, but the way 9/11 was carried out made it hyper visible. hell a lot of us watched it unfold live on TV or in person. That has a lasting effect on us.

The fact of the matter is, it is still a big deal for a LOT of us in the states and granted the USA is not the foundation of western civilization we do have a lot of impact on popular culture for the rest of the world. That's probably what makes it news worthy in other places.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I turned on the news today, and saw a broadcast of sad americans remembering 9/11 - my emidiate thought was "news, really?" if you're going to remember something 11 years after it happended, where people died, what about that tsunami thing, didn't 250k people die..? That seems rather more significant. Even though it wasn't an attack on the "free world".
    I hurt my hand yesterday on the oven, why isn't that on the news? That actually ruined my day.
    I like juice

Regardless of your intentions (op) this thread needs to be locked. People obviously feel the need to express how much they DONT care about the events of that day which will never lead to anything constructive.

Deleted
    9/11 changed the world as we know it, and will influence the world for years to come. From a purely historical perspective, 9/11 is incredibly important. From an emotional perspective, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    Since we get bombared with 9/11 messages every year, it does bother me. Feel sad about it? Keep it quiet, and don't shove it down my throat.
    You don't care about anything, so you care about why other people care about things, and it makes you sadpanda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, why keep talking about the single most important day to the political dynamics of the globe since the fall of the Berlin Wall? Crazy! It isn't like it spawned two wars or a security apparatus that monitors the electronic communications of every person on the planet or a network of drones, special forces, and intelligence operatives with the tacit authority to kill any human being outside of the borders of the United States.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since we get bombared with 9/11 messages every year, it does bother me. Feel sad about it? Keep it quiet, and don't shove it down my throat.
    Describe bombarded? If you mean people showing sympathy towards a tragic attack on our soil, then I do feel sorry for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why it is still important. This event IS one of the most historically affecting events at the current moment in time. It was a direct attack at a world superpower that has never happened before (we weren't superpowers during WWII). People just felt that the United States was invincible and we couldn't be hurt or attacked. This entire nationalistic superiority was shattered that morning.

Now look at the aftermath. At Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, etc. etc. Al Qaeda has, for the most part, been extinguished, however our nation is very divided on the war. I can't say what the long term affects are, but this is the first time in modern history that the US needs to finally learn to stop being the leader and encourage other economic and military super powers to rise in ranks as well. Just as Vietnam did, it proves that the United States, as powerful as it is, isn't the center of the world, and the world has to work together to keep itself together.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

You know, I just realized after asking about Pearl Harbor, it wasn't televised to millions of Americans, with all the major news stations giving live, up to date coverage for 48 hours. I remember being glued to my TV back in 12th grade while I was taking my classes online. (awesome school system, first in the nation to offer that)

Anyway, I don't think that could have happened in the 40's, so today, 9/11 is damn near literally branded into nearly all of American's brains.
    Moo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't like 9/11 threads....

Sees a 9/11 thread....

Clicks on it....
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

15+ Year Old Account
    americans tend to care way more about things then necessarely needed. it's horrible what happoned, but it's more than ten years ago, yet every year we still get an enormous amount of media attention about it, even here in europe. there are many factors that contribute in how gruesome it was, but there have been way worse things that happoned, like Hiroshima, or the whole of WW II, but personally, the worst tragedy in man kinds history is still WW I, no war was as terrifying, deadly and tragic as WW I, pitty there aren't a lot of memorials of that war.

(TL;DR: Some Americans tend to over dramatize stuff)
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone wants to make bets to on which page this will be locked?

I say 4, 5 at most.

It's pride and neanderthal instinct. Death by enemy tribe riles the emotions far more than death by other causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    No one here bashed Americans, we just posted our opinions here about this event that occurred 11 years ago and what we think about it still being "celebrated"(if that's the right word to say). When I gave my opinion I just said what I thought about it and it's celebration.
    I BELIEVE people still celebrate Armistice Day, do they not? Ok maybe not celebrate it but acknowledge that is was event that had a huge impact on history. 9/11 is the same. It's not about people not being able to move on, so much as a recognition of an event that shaped global politics for a decade.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by GotMoxie View Post
    It matters because the world watched as peoples' lives were snuffed out in front of them. You were witness to the last moments of thousands of people, so that's bound to make an impression.
    The same happened during the Tsunami in 2004 but you dont see a lot of those threads around. Personally i find it very creepy to see the holiday footage where suddenly a wave appears in the background and washes away small children.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's time America started properly naming their tragedies and catastrophes instead of simply refering to it after the date. "September 11th", or, "11 September" occurs every year and has done since the Gregorian calender was invented.

"Where were you on September 11th?" - well, which year? The date occurs every year.

Plus, as a Brit, if I had to name it after the date, it'd be called 11/9 (as in the 11th day of the 9th month), not 9/11 (because there are days in a month, not months in a day)

I'm not being mean, although some people might think I am, tough on them.

The only reason the "rest of the world" (or atleast, the bloody media) might still care, is, although it happened in the USA, there were people from more than 90 other nations around the world who died. It just happened to be in America, probably because the terrorists knew the USA would make the biggest deal out of it. Plus it gave the US a chance to go after dictators and take all their oil.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's completely understandable why people who are not from America don't understand the significance of the event for Americans.

So feel free to stop talking about it any time you would like. No one is forcing you. Let us remember in peace.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Because a lot of people lost family members when it happened, and lots of innocent people were killed.