Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    ESO may have some of the elements you are wanting
    All I've heard about this game is negative, but I just watched their preview video and it looks much better than I thought it would. It seems like it's grabbing all the good aspects from other MMOs...action combat, dynamic events, wow....this is a very ambitious game.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Well, I mean an actual Lovecraft MMO, not another game that takes some inspiration here and there from dozens of different mythos.

edit: Also, I played TSW beta, and who knows maybe it got better, but it was bad. : /
    Let's remember that "beta" is short for beta test. They've improved tons since launch, though there are naturally still issues, like any other game.

Deleted
    Sounds like the awfully repeated stuff that's on the market right now. i.e been there, done that

I agree with the overall theme of the OP. I would say that choosing those specific strengths of the listed MMOs would be a logical design decision. The next big MMO will need to put the right pieces of the puzzle together. So far, too many companies are trying to A. create a game very similar to WoW, but without the polish or soul of Wow or B. stray too far from what makes WoW so popular in an attempt to be different. No one has come along and done it right just yet. But, it will happen.

Some have brought up ESO. I haven't looked into it too much yet. But, if it does indeed use the reticule aim system (like Tera), then it will be another disappointment. Sure, it might have a niche following. But, it will be held back by that decision.

I'd say the ultimate MMO would have to have a lot more sandbox stuff than what's being discussed here. Assuming they keep to the promises on their blog, I'd say Pathfinder Online will be perfect! It's on Kickstarter now- it's a fantasy game- primarily sandbox with but with a good amount of themepark stuff- and heavily influenced by EVE Online.

An MMO where you can play solo or in group. I like soloing stuff... I know, it's an MMO, but I tend to stick to a game and not play single player games when I'm progressing in an MMO and therefore I often need some "alone time".

A tool to create content yourself. Like someone suggested in the Rift subforum... dimensions might be a way to create dungeons and stuff by yourself in Rift in the future.

A mix between different MMO combat systems. I think GW2's combat is a little bit too shallow, and WoW's a little bit too much about "numbers" for example. A Skyrim-esque combat with a few hotkey abilities at your disposal, and no cooldowns. Blergh, cooldowns suck. :P

Your "cooldown" should be your resource like stamina/mana and increase in power the longer you hold that key. For example... you charge further, and you charge while holding that key, stopping when you release or when you don't have enough stamina. Block when holding right mouse button, or hit/cast spell depending on your weapon. Like Skyrim. Also, Global Cooldowns should be pretty low... like 1 second max.

Many different abilities to choose from, and not tied to weapons or even certain classes.

Freedom and depth when you build your ""talent tree"". You should be able to create a very defensive character or offensive, but the content should not _require_ a certain setup. It's about how you want to play. Of course you wont do as much damage, or you'll be running slower with high armor etcetera.

NO LEVELS!!

I don't mind some kind of gear progression really, as long as it's mostly linear and more about the way you want to play and not a power creep. Higher mana than stamina for example or the opposite. You get a certain amount of points to distribute.
    Last edited by Voidism; 2012-12-16 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Hallow? I meant shallow!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    *SNIP*
    Interestingly enough, you are describing a lot of features of ESO. I don't think I will play it when it releases, but it does have a lot of potential characteristics that line up well with that description. I thought it had to be garbage until yesterday when I watched their preview video. It looks like a decent design.

I just think we're at a point where people don't want or need a new MMO. We say we do, but we really don't. Otherwise all these entries wouldn't be getting burned out near instantly. We talk about hype, like that is the reason, but it's really just people. We are the ones thinking we want a crazy new MMO, so companies give us that. Then we shit all over it. If any of these games had come out on their own, before the big MMO boom from WoW...we would be hailing them as Jesus.

I honestly think WoW was just in the right place at the right time, because the initial game in retrospect wasn't very good. There weren't enough Blizzard fans to make it that succesful so quickly. It was just what people were looking for and they had the foresight to know that much. The rest is just natural evolution of society.

I was sceptical of ESO when I first heard about it, but I'll probably try it out because it sounds interesting. I know that no MMO will probably be just right for me, but I can always find the one that's close enough. I like Rift which I'm currently playing. Has a lot of the features I like in an MMO, besides the great developers Trion are. Much to do... much much.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthThrall View Post
    - WoW's Lore/Story (Lets be honest, the Warcraft lore is 10x better than that of Star Wars or Guild Wars)
    - WoW's combat system (Feels refined and smooth and has had 6 years for the developers to perfect it)
    - WoW's PvE endgame (No other MMO in existence comes close to WoW's PvE end game)
    -What About Lotro Lore/Story?Its 1000x better than any other game
    -Aion and GW2 have better combat system imo. Wow also have one of the best. I am happy with any of the three.
    -You mean dailies , dailies, dailies? No thank you It would be gear progression for sure, but in TBC style, where there was a linear gear progression without hard resets and without skip to the top.

on the rest I agree.I could also add the Lotro world/environment instead of GW2 but then I guess characters from gw2 doesn't fit in lotro lore..anyways.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.