sPvP: Help me not die in a couple seconds.

So, I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I like to think I'm a fairly decent player at PvP, I do pretty well at least in WoW PvP. Now I know they're not the same, but really the whole concept is being able to act and react quickly based on whats happening with the proper ability. However, even with putting a lot of points in vitality and toughness traits, and using defensive utilities I'm finding myself just simply dying in seconds from some classes. Specifically theif or warrior, sometimes I've had elementalists do it. I've typically played engineer or necromancer. My survival seems somewhat higher with engineer, but necro no matter how I build, I seem to just die, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it because I'm either getting stunned or can't even target the theif to fight back because he keeps getting invisibility.

Is there something I'm missing somewhere? Even with all traits in vit and toughness, I even got a 6 set of runes that gave more vitality. The accessory is typically the only thing I don't always get the toughness and vit based ones I usually go for some precision. But other than that, I really don't think I'm that incompetent. I pop spectral armor for the protection, and I don't know if it's a bug but I'll often pop death shroud and I wont be able to do anything, I can move but I can't use any abilities for a second. I know to pop the elixir that removes stun and makes me invulnerable as needed. I'm not a keyboard turner. So why am I dying so fast? My mesmer seems to be the strongest survival wise but I know exactly why that is, because I have a bunch of clones all over and can go invisible several times.

In Hot-join, if you are running around alone, you will die. No matter how you build the zergs will destroy you. Warriors and Thieves usually build high burst, either with Frenzy+100blades for the Warrior, or Haste+pistol whip for the Thief. If you can stay out of those abilities, most of the time they will be easy pickings as they will have use 2 or more utilities and their strongest abilities. A snare, block, fear, or knockback is a great counter as both those abilities are Melee. I play an Axe/shield and rifle warrior and even spec'd glass, as long as I can avoid those abilities I have little trouble with greatsword or sword/pistol thieves.

Which Amulet are you wearing ?
    The Accessorys define your Hp pool

Well basic stuff is all i can give you advice on.

-Amulet, dont go for glasscannon. Get something with the two stats you want and a defensive stat like Toughness to give you some survival.
    -Stun Breaker, this baby is a must. Especially in lower sPvP brackets were every Warrior is a Greatsword monkey that destroys everything with 2 buttons.
    -Dont pick fights with several people at once if you arent comfortable with it, the object isnt to kill the enemy its atually to hold on to points and whatever secondairy objective theyve made up for that specific map.
    -Clear conditions. Its almost as important as a Stunbreaker, but not always easy to fit in. But if you can get a reliable way to clear conditions, dont be a fool. Conditions get you killed. Chill, Cripple, Immob. to prevent you from escaping. And Burning, Bleeding, Poison can deal a lot of damage for condition damage focussed builds. Thats a lot of damage you can just say nope to with the click of a button.

So then it sounds like it really is simply just the amulet I'm using. So then, does it really matter what you pick stat wise? I went all out toughness and vit based on my traits for survival. But do those not really help that much?

Deleted
    The amulet contribute to like 700-800 points worth of stats, at most your traits contribute to 300 in a stat.

You'd better get the trait for the utility they give (and not the stats), and get the amulet you want for the stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    With most warriors in the 8v8s you just have to avoid the initial hit and then they drop like flies. Just pop a stun breaker and create some distance.
    In the 8v8 PvP you will die unfairly a lot of the time. With my Guardian I can survive against three people as long as they don't all have burst/high damage builds, but when they do, I'll die fast. In 8v8 there are enough players in a a team to zerg a base, so if that happens, just run away or try to drag it out if you can.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Here is the thing with this game:

Do not go a trait line for the stats. Go in it for the major/minor traits

Go for the major/minor traits you need (either for dps or survivability or support), Usually get a bit of both dps and survivability (or stuff that does both like a offensive spell when traited heals you). Once this is done, get the stats that you need through gear/runes/trinket.

Also in hot join everyone is speced glasscanon so if you want to survive, get tough/vit, good heals and protection skills. Once you avoid/survive the initial burst they will drop like flies.

Deleted