10+ Year Old Account

Fire and Brimstone + Emberstorm

I just need clarification,

Is it correct that the Destro Mastery: Emberstorm increases the damage of spells that are spread by Fire and Brimstone, because FnB is an ember consuming spell?

So if FnB reduces the damage of the spell being spread by (what is it now?) 35%? and Emberstorm then multiplies that (124+x)% for mastery? ( i don't have number in front of me because i cannot access the Data base web pages)

any way, the point i am trying to ask is: For AoE heavy encounters where we are spamming FnB:Incinerate and keeping FnB:Immolate up at all times, would mastery probably be a significantly higher priority stat?
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-09-12 at 06:34 PM.

You are totally correct apart from the last part of your post: Since mastery scaling is multiplied by 0.35 for FnB empowered spells, crit and haste remain nearly as valuable. I dont think prefering mastery over haste and crit is worth the reforging for miscellaneous AoE situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    You are totally correct apart from the last part of your post: Since mastery scaling is multiplied by 0.35 for FnB empowered spells, crit and haste remain nearly as valuable. I dont think prefering mastery over haste and crit is worth the reforging for miscellaneous AoE situations.
    oh, ok, good to know :^)

It's also worth pointing out that RoF is a significant part of our AoE kit, but it receives no benefit from mastery. That's another factor that would skew favor towards crit and haste in extended periods of AoE.

I still think FnB is too weak, it "wastes" one of our precious embers for an AoE effect with about 30-50% less damage - and the ember only "comes back", if you hit more than 5 targets with an incinerate (casttime + adds can die, run from each other, so it sucks) or if you get super lucky with massive crit proccs from your RoF on AoE immolated targets (which again, still has a casttime, the adds still can die/run from each other).

I'm not even going into needing to "save" embers for AoE in the first place or the chance of getting oom in prolonged AoE situations as Destru . . . while other speccs can just spam their AoE constant without worries . . . (my DK can just chain-spam 4 Howling Blasts with in Frost Specc, then use impowered Rune Weapon to do it again and/or use the blood runes for dot spreading + Boiling Blood - and the runes refresh every 6 sec without procs and do so indefinitly).

In my current gear, my F&B Incins hit for about 11.5% of a Chaos Bolt. So, at 5 targets, my Incins will be at a bit more than half the damage of a Chaos Bolt, with half the cost (1 ember cost - .5 embers generated, ignoring crits), plus 14.5% mana regen during the cast (less with Backdraft). That's definitely worth using for AoE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    I still think FnB is too weak, it "wastes" one of our precious embers for an AoE effect with about 30-50% less damage - and the ember only "comes back", if you hit more than 5 targets with an incinerate (casttime + adds can die, run from each other, so it sucks) or if you get super lucky with massive crit proccs from your RoF on AoE immolated targets (which again, still has a casttime, the adds still can die/run from each other).

I'm not even going into needing to "save" embers for AoE in the first place or the chance of getting oom in prolonged AoE situations as Destru . . . while other speccs can just spam their AoE constant without worries . . . (my DK can just chain-spam 4 Howling Blasts with in Frost Specc, then use impowered Rune Weapon to do it again and/or use the blood runes for dot spreading + Boiling Blood - and the runes refresh every 6 sec without procs and do so indefinitly).

Not every spec that is good at burst AoE is good at Sustained AoE or good at Multi-Dotting. Two Chaos Waves+Immolation Aura+Felstorm are probably the best burst AoE in the game; but Demo is severly limited by resource generate and cooldowns; Destro on the other hand can RoF+FnB:Immolate+FnB:Incinerate for ever and ever and ever. Destruction has great sustained AoE. And I hardly even need to mention Affliction has superior burst multi-dotting (SB:SS x2 + Haunt x2 or SB:SW x4)

Frost has great burst AoE but it drops off for sustained AoE, and Unholy starts to pick up the longer the AoE lasts because of superior Disease damage.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-09-13 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post

I think you should recheck your thoughts here, constructive critism.

1.) Yes, it does consume an ember. However last night in BOT I was SPAMMING FnB on the trash and every incinerate when there were 6+ targets would give me another ember.

2.) FnB is huge sustained AOE damage when coupled with RoF. FnB -> Immolate, FnB-> Incin, over and over and over. I never had problems maintaining embers during extended AoE on trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Femto1 View Post
    I think you should recheck your thoughts here, constructive critism.

1.) Yes, it does consume an ember. However last night in BOT I was SPAMMING FnB on the trash and every incinerate when there were 6+ targets would give me another ember.

2.) FnB is huge sustained AOE damage when coupled with RoF. FnB -> Immolate, FnB-> Incin, over and over and over. I never had problems maintaining embers during extended AoE on trash.
    if anything you are almost guaranteed to ember-cap on extended AoE, at which point you should also include FnB:Conflagrate into your rotation which won't return Embers per se but will do more damage the single target conflagrates and still keep up your stacks of Backdraft.