Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Do you take pride in your ethnicity?

I'm happy i'm white and canadian and I wonder how people of a different colour feel being in a strange city/town where they are a minority. I always got a kick out of living in Calgary Alberta and people being amazed at my weird accent. I thought that was kinda cool for a while. Then again i was still mainly a white guy.

How about someone that is the exact opposite of me. Being black in a white community or being brown/yellow in a predominately white city/town. Do you wish you were not who you are and just fitting in and just chilling. Do you guys do things differently to fit in or just look for cool people that don't judge by colour?

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 09:34 PM ----------

I am a newfie so I confused alot of people in Calgary Alberta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I grew up, our highschool had 7 class "periods" in the general school day. In 4 of those periods, I was the only white guy. Extremely urban area. Basically I got a lot of my respect for, and I quote "Not acting like a scared little dog all the time." Kind of sick when you think back on it, but that general mentality and appreciation for simply being a strong person has created a lot of pride in who I am. No necessarily my "race" as I'm the type of person who's colorblind in that aspect, but instead being absolutely proud of whoever you are, regardless of the situation and context.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Deleted
    From Iraq? Meh, indifferent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do, if anyone ask's I tell them where I'm from (ethnicity wise) I'm Puerto Rican and Italian. The combo is great btw =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

I don't think ethnicity is something that can deserve pride, since it's not something you achieve, but something you are simply born with. It's like being proud to be a man or a woman. Yeah, what an accomplishment, you were born with a dick, this deserves applause.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ethnicity is culture, race is skin colour, btw. I don't care about the concept of "white" or "black" much. I love being English but acknowledge were I born in France, America, China or Namibia, I would probably love that culture deeply too. I also love other cultures, especially Germany.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Quite fond of my country's culture in general. Except the drinking culture, my flatmates are starting to get on my nerves at this time of night with all the shouting.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Pride is one of the seven deadly sins. But its hard to not be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Pride is one of the seven deadly sins. But its hard to not be.
    A little pride is okay, but when one has to much it can lead to terrible things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Yes, no reason not to. My country and heritage have only brought good things for me and my family, no negatives.

Edit: For clarifying.
    Last edited by Drekker17; 2012-09-12 at 10:09 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm Australian of Welsh and Irish descent going back centuries on both family lines. I didn't choose to be born this way but here I am. It seems just as silly to me to be proud of something I had no actual part in as to hate someone else for something they didn't choose to be either. Don't get me wrong I loved learning about people in my family both distant and recent but the whole idea of being 'born better' is absolutely absurd at least in the culture of Australia. In fact that idea is actively looked down upon.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Yes, no reason not to. My country and heritage have only brought good things no negatives.
    Lol. No, just no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    I'm Australian of Welsh and Irish descent going back centuries on both family lines. I didn't choose to be born this way but here I am. It seems just as silly to me to be proud of something I had no actual part in as to hate someone else for something they didn't choose to be either. Don't get me wrong I loved learning about people in my family both distant and recent but the whole idea of being 'born better' is absolutely absurd at least in the culture of Australia. In fact that idea is actively looked down upon.
    I know 2 people from my work that would hate to be anything but white when they go there for their teaching jobs. Small sample size I guess ..but just saying.

Deleted
    No, I hate and like anyone. Mostly I hate.

Deleted
    I dont care about it at all. I do however get sick of the constant debates about ethnicity and race in society nowadays..

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Lol. No, just no.
    What? I meant for myself...in which they haven't.

Race isn't skin colour. There are many more distinct differences between the human races.

Pure, Alliance Turalyon EU 8/8 25 HC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    What? I meant for myself...in which they haven't.
    Oh, no bad things to YOU. Okay well that's fine.

Dane, dont care. I do like living here though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    I do, if anyone ask's I tell them where I'm from (ethnicity wise) I'm Puerto Rican and Italian. The combo is great btw =)
    Hah, same here!

Great combo? No. Greatest!

I do identify more as Puerto Rican though, my family has always done so, always had a strong affinity for the culture, the cuisine, the island, everything about it. I am the "Puerto Rican child". My brother and sister are much more the italian side of the family. I used to spend about 2 and a half months a year down in PR as a kid growing up, I can only hope that one day I'm lucky enough to allow my child such an amazing privilege.

Back on topic, yes, I am EXTREMELY proud and take pride in my Ethnicity, both sides of course, and my individual American heritage, but I'll always have a special pride of my mother's Puerto Rican heritage.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature