Thread: So i think...

So i think...

That the starwars prequels and indiana jones: the crystal meth skull and countless other remakes, prequels, sequels all have a high chance of being worse than the original series, trilogy, ect.

Just look at the conan movies after the first one. Each one makes you want to sacrifice your soul to xoti a little more.

Today I came across and image that best describes this phenomenon in video gaming.

For those who don't know what this image is, here http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ation-attempt/

Now, this is not to say that this has always been the trend. Just look at majoras mask. However, I'm finding that more recent releases tend to be just phoned in garbage that they hope will sell because of the brand recognition. The only problem is its working well enough for them to continue doing it.

I, for one, will no longer be forking over cash for "First Person Shooter 12, This time... Its impersonal". Some of you probably will note that I play swtor. Well, they've managed to turn that game into shit by not doing anything with it. It has a great base, story, quests, romance, drama... And then they just let it sit there. They are just milking it. If they gave a damn they would have made player size variations of their current warzones using existing assets. They could have put an intern on that... Half a year ago. It would have been done by now. There are an infinite number of things they could have done but chose not to.

And yeah. I know the moral of the story is "don't buy ea" but most the god damn games out nowadays are EA or Activision who is just as bad.

Beginning to get worried that gaming either no longer appeals to me or, due to the constant drive for higher profit margins, is destroying itself.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I enjoyed the Star Wars Prequels and Indiana Jones 4, I also enjoy the originals.

I guess opinion really is subjective.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    I enjoyed the Star Wars Prequels and Indiana Jones 4, I also enjoy the originals.

I guess opinion really is subjective.
    Indeed it is. Which is why the title is "So I think..."

15+ Year Old Account
    There are thousands of great indie titles with all new IP's that you probably haven't checked out. If a certain type of game isn't appealing to you then look for something else.

There are just as many examples of remakes and sequels that are just as amazing if not better than the original. Simply being a remake/sequel doesn't make a bad movie; a bad movie makes a bad movie.

I , for one, enjoyed BG 2 more than BG 1, IWD 2 more than IWD 1, WoW BC at least as much, if not more, than vanilla, Master of Orion 2 more than MOO1 (moo3 is shit though, so yeah theres that), Civ 4 >>>>> all previous, although Civ 5 is arguably worse than vanilla Civ 4 (not fair to compare it vs modded out civ 4). Sim City merchandise improved on itself radically with every new iteration.

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    There are thousands of great indie titles with all new IP's that you probably haven't checked out. If a certain type of game isn't appealing to you then look for something else.
    The thing is...90% of them are absolutely terrible. Like, painfully not good at all. Every now and then we get a gem (Minecraft, Fez, Bastion, Amnesia ect.), but for every decent/good indie game, there are about a thousand terrible ones : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Start sifting through the steam library.
    Your best bet really to be honest.

Issue is quite honestly the indie titles are the only ones that are producing things that are different, or at least that are worth playing. Amnesia is one I adore (or somehow hate to adore... D:...), and games like Dungeon Defenders is also fun as hell.
    I'm a fan of puzzle games so there are quite a few of those there.
    Problem is also that some indie games are just terrible... so look at the steam forum if you plan on buying it from steam before purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I , for one, enjoyed BG 2 more than BG 1, IWD 2 more than IWD 1, WoW BC at least as much, if not more, than vanilla, Master of Orion 2 more than MOO1 (moo3 is shit though, so yeah theres that), Civ 4 >>>>> all previous, although Civ 5 is arguably worse than vanilla Civ 4 (not fair to compare it vs modded out civ 4). Sim City merchandise improved on itself radically with every new iteration.

Etc.
    You are talking about a totally different time period, though. I bet the OP would agree with some of your examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post
    You are talking about a totally different time period, though. I bet the OP would agree with some of your examples.
    Indeed, I actually state in my post that its only more recent games that seem to have this trend, citing that majoras mask (which was like 1998 or something) was a great sequel.

Also, people sometimes confuse "trend" with "all the time".

edit: Regardless, I think I will heed the advice of others in this thread and try some indie games.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-09-13 at 11:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The thing is...90% of them are absolutely terrible. Like, painfully not good at all. Every now and then we get a gem (Minecraft, Fez, Bastion, Amnesia ect.), but for every decent/good indie game, there are about a thousand terrible ones : /
    It depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for a game to give you hundreds of hours on entertainment like major titles can then you're probably not going to find a lot.

Deleted
    Here's a list of 238 other hobbies you could try: http://www.notsoboringlife.com/list-of-hobbies/

This is not a troll, it's literally the only thing I could think of as a constructive response to this thread. I can't restore your faith in an industry that's being more investment-driven than ever and will continue to be. You have to decide whether you want to enjoy these games or get caught up in the political debate about quantity vs quality in gaming. If you don't think you can let it go, I suggest finding another hobby. Learning something new and exciting can be an exhilarating experience, especially if you find something that really pushes you to your limits.

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for a game to give you hundreds of hours on entertainment like major titles can then you're probably not going to find a lot.
    You're not going to find a lot of good games either. I'll see if I can dig it up, but there's a totally free indie version of Steam that carries all indie games (that are all free as well). I went on it some time ago and started to mess around with a few games and in the two dozen or so games I tried, I found one that wasn't painful to play. The rest were boring as hell, poorly made, or straight painful to play : /

Don't get me wrong, I love indie games and I'm a big fan of the genre. It's just that most indie games are terrible because they're made with little to no budget, and frequently made by amateurs who are just learning how to make their first games.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    You're not going to find a lot of good games either. I'll see if I can dig it up, but there's a totally free indie version of Steam that carries all indie games (that are all free as well). I went on it some time ago and started to mess around with a few games and in the two dozen or so games I tried, I found one that wasn't painful to play. The rest were boring as hell, poorly made, or straight painful to play : /

Don't get me wrong, I love indie games and I'm a big fan of the genre. It's just that most indie games are terrible because they're made with little to no budget, and frequently made by amateurs who are just learning how to make their first games.
    It's a delicious catch 22 isn't it. If they become experienced and "good" at making games, developers naturally want money and more of it. That leads publishers and investors to demand more return for their investment and the developers themselves feel this because well they have to broaden the base of the game to meet the demand for return and then the players well they come on forums like this one and make arguments about how much it was better before... The key I guess is to find the happy medium? The question is given the rapacious appetites of everyone involved can we see something like that happen on a larger and larger scale?

Deleted
    The pictures are very fitting to be honest:P Remakes and sequels aren't always bad. Sometimes they're as good as the originals or even improve upon them.

However, with WoW, it's fairly fitting. However I understand why they did it. People can only play one game for so long before getting bored and by the look of it, they just go through all target audiences. Vanilla and TBC were more for hardcores and people already into the genre. Wrath was for casuals. Cata was.. to be honest I dont know who it was for. And now, Panda island adventure is aimed mostly for 14 and younger by the look of it.

It's just that the "old school" games are mostly dead. No one makes them any more as the audience that plays games has changed and become more casuals. Why make a game that only maybe 5% is interested in when they can make one for 25%?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things are better than the original (would anyone say that Street Fighter 1 is better than Street Fighter 4? =P)
    Some things are worse than the original (like Butterfly Effect movies...)
    And some things are better, but fans fail to see the difference between quality and nostalgia, and hate everything that is different than the original, even if it is an improvement. (like WoW expansions haters)

In my experience, the third one is the current trend. I'm sick and tired of all these "I want games like they were in 1990!!!" people.