View Poll Results: did the NY firefighters know the towers were going to fall?

Voters
117. This poll is closed
  • they knew the towers would fall

23 19.66%
  • they didn't know the towers would fall

80 68.38%
  • other (post below)

14 11.97%
Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question did the NY firefighters know the towers were going to fall?

im talking specifically about the firefighters that rushed up the towers. do you think they knew the towers were going to fall and they knew they were going to die or do you think no one thought the towers would collapse?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    how could they knew it?

towers never falls this way before or after the wtc.... we already saw towers in flames, towers hit by a plane. never falls. empire state bulding was hit by a B25 in the 40's (??)... never collapse. the wtc was built to resist eartquake, planes, bombs, etc ....

how could they knew it?

edit:http://www.loosechange911.com/
    Last edited by mmoc051d140155; 2012-09-13 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Pretty sure they didn't. They're not suicidal.

if anything would fall in such a fire, it would be the top just tumbling over to one side and falling to the ground. There is no sense in them falling down the way they did. At least not in regular physics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did Christie Todd Whitman know that breathing burning buildings actually wasn't good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by guff View Post
    if anything would fall in such a fire, it would be the top just tumbling over to one side and falling to the ground. There is no sense in them falling down the way they did. At least not in regular physics.
    From what I understand, most skyscrapers are designed to collapse like that so they don't knock over others and cause a domino effect.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

I think OP means, as they were rushing into the situation, did the thought cross their minds that the towers were coming down, and did they still do their job knowing it be their last?
    I don't think he means knowing before it happened, but realizing it would happen as they started to work.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post
    From what I understand, most skyscrapers are designed to collapse like that so they don't knock over others and cause a domino effect.
    They are created to fall in and down, and not fall like trees.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I dont think they knew, but with a job like that you know it can go wrong sometimes.
    just like with cops or people in the militairy. So im sure some thought " i might not make it today" but they dont have a choice really

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe they knew.....just like no one else thought that would ever happen. However reading just these few posts I can see the storm of conspiracy theories come flying in now.

love the conspiracy. when you actually understand what you are talking about, please return to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    They are created to fall in and down, and not fall like trees.
    I did not know that, but it makes sense. I will take it into account

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    love the conspiracy. when you actually understand what you are talking about, please return to the conversation.
    I never mentioned any conspiracy, but thank you for enlightening me Now off to your cave...

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    how could they knew it?

towers never falls this way before or after the wtc.... we already saw towers in flames, towers hit by a plane. never falls. empire state bulding was hit by a B25 in the 40's (??)... never collapse. the wtc was built to resist eartquake, planes, bombs, etc ....

how could they knew it?

edit:http://www.loosechange911.com/
    a big difference between the B25 hitting the empire state building and 9/11 is the amount of fuel. The empire state building never caught on fire like the twin towers did. it wasn't the planes that took down the towers, it was the fire.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 12:53 PM ----------

I never mentioned any conspiracy, but thank you for enlightening me Now off to your cave...
    In the infinite wisdom of your original post, you made it quite clear that what happened could never happen in your world of physics.. meaning it happened due to another reason. hence conspiracy.
    Last edited by Sealed Shut; 2012-09-13 at 04:55 PM.

I'm sorry if I came off as that arrogant. It wasn't my intention. But I still find it very odd that it fell at near free fall speed. This is just my opinion, and I understand why most people do not like it.

And, I do not think anyone is conspiring in the way you are hinting, I just believe there is more to the truth than we are lead to think.

Deleted
    the steel in the building was not supposed to smelt at the temperature the fuel burnt, even less for the time that lasts.... if the buildings collapse, it's not because of the fire....

you have norms to respect. I don't think you messed up with it at the time the wtc was built....

Of course they didn't know. If they knew then they wouldn't have gone into the building, and instead would have evacuated people to a much further distance.

Look at WTC7. That building they DID think could collapse because of the heavy fires and a lot of the base pillars being knocked out (and of course the other towers collapsing). So what did they do? They evacuated instead of trying to go in and fight the fire.

I'm sorry if I came off as that arrogant. It wasn't my intention. But I still find it very odd that it fell at near free fall speed. This is just my opinion, and I understand why most people do not like it.

And, I do not think anyone is conspiring in the way you are hinting, I just believe there is more to the truth than we are lead to think.
    no problem. the reason it fell so fast is as simple as this. if a floor (we'll call it X) is built to support a certain weight (we'll call it A). when the top started to fall, floor X was now supporting 2A. when that fell another floor that floor was supporting 3A. and that number just kept increasing. the more weight that fell, the faster the floors collapsed.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    the steel in the building was not supposed to smelt at the temperature the fuel burnt, even less for the time that lasts.... if the buildings collapse, it's not because of the fire....

you have norms to respect. I don't think you messed up with it at the time the wtc was built....
    Oh mr expert. please teach us all your wisdom. by all means let's take the word of Groh over http://www.nist.gov/el/disasterstudi.../wtc_about.cfm

15+ Year Old Account
    Sealed Shut: Please stop picking fights with our users.

no problem. the reason it fell so fast is as simple as this. if a floor (we'll call it X) is built to support a certain weight (we'll call it A). when the top started to fall, floor X was now supporting 2A. when that fell another floor that floor was supporting 3A. and that number just kept increasing. the more weight that fell, the faster the floors collapsed.
    I'm sorry, but it does not work like that. In a free fall (vacuum; the conditions that allow free fall and thus maximum "falling velocity") the acceleration is independent of the weight of an object. Now, introducing air resistance will lead to a lower maximum speed (though now your argument with increasing weight gains some power, as a heavier object (given similar dimensions) will achieve speeds closer to free fall).

In the case of this pancaking theory (floors falling on a the floors below), you are correct in the fact that the heavier the load, the faster the next floor would collapse. Unfortunately for the explanation, every collision between floors will introduce another (much stronger) resistance to the air resistance. This reduces the acceleration further.

Unfortunately, this seems to mean that it cannot be the cause of the collapse.

Deleted
    we saw the video so many times.... I don't saw it collapse faster floor after floor. it's free fall from the beggining to the end. and we saw massiv piece of the building falling by the side. we also saw little flashs under the parts that was falling.

we also saw other buildings collapse the way the wtc collapsed. you know, those buidings that we put synchronized bombs in it for controlled destruction....

the wtc 7 collapsed like a castle of cards!!

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Pretty sure they didn't. They're not suicidal.

I think even if they knew they were coming down some would have gone in any way. That does not make them suicidal. It makes them heroic.

But no, no one knew they were coming down it had never happened before. There was no reason to expect it to happen.
    READ and be less Ignorant.