Poll: Are you enjoying the "Endgame"?

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, all, for proving my point.
    Yeah whatever. In all seriousness: How often do you think billy will have this problem?

Realistic estimates please and not "peeps are jerks poor billy will never ever get to do a DE!!11"

I doubt that It'll happen often. Probably as often as an Lv 85 stopping by and killing all your quest mobs in WoW. I leveled 7 chars there. Happened to me uuh .. twice in 6 years.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-09-21 at 12:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd swap my vote if I could, I think arenanet is getting the point though, they just need to retest their dungeons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah whatever. In all seriousness: How often do you think billy will have this problem?

Realistic estimates please and not "peeps are jerks poor billy will never ever get to do a DE!!11"

I doubt that It'll happen often. Probably as often as an Lv 85 stopping by and killing all your quest mobs in WoW. I leveled 7 chars there. Happened to me uuh .. twice in 6 years.
    If dynamic events are pve end-game then billy would see this quite a lot while leveling up. Gotta get that 100% map completion because thats end game! "Low level" questing is not part of end game in swtor, rift or wow.

Its not like in wow, where those that do low level quests are for
    1) Vanity item 2) The seeker title
    3) Loremaster title 4) Grinding profession X
    5) "powerleveling" friend on follow or something or doing specific achi (rare)

Thats why doing DE's as max level wouldn't really work in others favor. Specially at start. Maybe in 6 month to year it will be bit more silent.
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2012-09-21 at 12:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Consider the following scenario:

Little Billy has just started playing, and is really enjoying the experience. He finds a nice Dynamic Event he wants to participate in. But soon as he draws his sword and shield, in comes a shortbow thief who's level 80 and chosen not to downscale himself. With AoE, swiftness, shadowsteps and pure range advantage he's able to one-shot every enemy before Little Billy even gets close to them.

Little Billy wasn't allowed to participate in a DE that day.
    Please, think of the kittens.

I have been pleasantly surprised with how "griefless" Arena Net has made GW2.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-09-21 at 01:16 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    If dynamic events are pve end-game then billy would see this quite a lot while leveling up. Gotta get that 100% map completion because thats end game! "Low level" questing is not part of end game in swtor, rift or wow.
    Dynamic events are NOT part of the zone 100% achievement.
    Low level Dynamic events do NOT reward you properly.

A player who wants map completion should IGNORE all DEs except those that coincide with the heart he wishes to do. (relatively rare coincidence)

Low level DE are no more part of the endgame that low level quests in WoW.

BTW: I am 80, i tried them with my low level friend and I know what i'm talking about.

Guild War 2 got massively overhyped I believe. It was supposedly able to revolutionize the MMO genre. Sadly it's just yet another game that won't live up to peoples expectations. We'll just have to wait for Titan I guess...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Guild War 2 got massively overhyped I believe. It was supposedly able to revolutionize the MMO genre. Sadly it's just yet another game that won't live up to peoples expectations. We'll just have to wait for Titan I guess...
    Err, GW2 does take the genre forward in many ways. It has the best levelling process of any MMO I've seen, the best AH and Bank system and a pretty good combat system. The vast majority of the reviews of the game have been highly positive. A lot of the more hardcore players have stopped playing because there's not much of an "endgame treadmill" to keep people going, but that suddenly doesn't make the rest of the game rubbish. I think most people got what they expected from GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    Err, GW2 does take the genre forward in many ways. It has the best levelling process of any MMO I've seen, the best AH and Bank system and a pretty good combat system. The vast majority of the reviews of the game have been highly positive. A lot of the more hardcore players have stopped playing because there's not much of an "endgame treadmill" to keep people going, but that suddenly doesn't make the rest of the game rubbish. I think most people got what they expected from GW2.
    Err no, but then were all talking subjectively here, which is why err no is wrong, its I disagree....

nearly every mmo gets 8.5-9 out of 10, even AoC I wouldnt take much stock from reviews, in fact I think games reviews automatically award 8.5 and just add .5 if it has that little extra and take off .5 if its not original enough (tera seems to be an anomoly :P)
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-09-21 at 02:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    did you do any research on the game before blindly buying it?
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Err no, but then were all talking subjectively here, which is why err no is wrong, its I disagree....

nearly every mmo gets 8.5-9 out of 10, even AoC I wouldnt take much stock from reviews, in fact I think games reviews automatically award 8.5 and just add .5 if it has that little extra and take off .5 if its not original enough (tera seems to be an anomoly :P)
    Age of Conan tricked a lot of early reviewers/testers by making the start of the game 50 times as polished/finished as the rest, and it also came out in the era when people were filled with optimism about upcoming MMO titles, unlike the "lolz it will faaail" we have with everything now. So it's no wonder it got some positive reviews, though it's an 80 on metacritic while GW2 is at 91 with a similar number of reviews.

Lots of other MMOs have 80ish but they are not really that bad. They aren't great, and maybe 70 is a more accurate score for SWTOR etc, but there are too many people who think something is the worst game ever just because it can't pull them from their WoW addiction, then they complain about minor missing/broken features to try and justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    I like what Anet does with AH/Bank, but the best leveling process? Really? Highly subjective.

You get exposed to more story in any single post-Cata areas in WoW than you do going through the whole of Tyria. Yeah, if you stop and talk to every single NPC, you might get close to lore exposure that you receive from Cata quest text, but if you go through just leveling and doing DEs, you get minimal lore exposure, and you have no idea why are you collecting rabbit food, giving drinks to nords, dunking water on quaggans and doing a plethora of other silly activities more befitting 2nd Life than a fantasy MMO.

Lore aside, MAYBE some people find it better to do hearts rather than pick up quests from the quest givers. I prefer the latter, since I can actually see why I am doing something before I am forced to do that "something", whereas in GW2, I often complete a quest before I even officially "take it".

Events - yeah ok, they can be nice every once in a while when you get one out of the way. Most of the time, its a mindless AoE grind fest. I haven't fallen asleep at the keyboard nearly as many times in other games, as I have in GW2, mashing my aoe buttons, trying to get credit for zombie kills.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    We'll just have to wait for Titan I guess...
    Because this wont be a over hyped mess at all right?

People already believe that this will be the next end all be all Blizzard MMO and there has been NO REAL information about it out yet lol. I cant wait for the shit storm of disappointment that rolls out after this hits the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a difference to other games in terms of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    I don't see a difference to other games in terms of grinding.
    Other games: You have to grind to be able to access content, and then you utilize that content to get stuff.
    GW2: You have access to all content from level 1, and you only have to grind to get the best stuff.

Most people don't consider the levelling process in GW2 as a 'grind' just because of how dynamic and fun it actually is. That's pretty much the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    Other games: You have to grind to be able to access content, and then you utilize that content to get stuff.
    GW2: You have access to all content from level 1, and you only have to grind to get the best stuff.

Most people don't consider the levelling process in GW2 as a 'grind' just because of how dynamic and fun it actually is. That's pretty much the difference.
    Actually the way it works is that you can access all the leveling and PVP content from level 1 but you can't access the dungeons and certain zones until you reach higher levels. The higher zones, however, are the same as the lower zones so there's not much being offered by them as an end game. There are few dungeons. They are hard and they don't offer much in the way of rewards so they don't constitute much of an end game either. So basically the end game is PVP which begs the question of why put in all the PVE stuff which ultimately has no bearing on the real point of the game which is the PVP. People have started to notice this discrepancy; especially people who have no interest in PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which discrepancy? Most people don't know what they mean if they are talking about endgame. If a game don't offer raid instances with weekly lockouts to slow down the progress, then it's called no endgame. GW2 is not a themepark mmo like WoW or other item spiral based games.

Deleted
    Didn't expect the majority to vote no

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Unfortunately, the game's community has sunk to the level of claiming that the dynamic event system and crafting are legitimate endgame content.
    For this franchise, it is. Any sort of investigation of GW2 and the previous 4 fully constructed games and xpac of the first series would reveal this as so.

None of the Guild Wars games, none of them, feature a bimodal endgame. All the Guild Wars games are meant to be casual pick-up & play/drop anytime experiences with a low barrier to entry.

Got bored farming your Tormented set? No biggie. Play something else. Those weapons don't gate content.

Urgoz got you down? No biggie. Play something else. No penalty.

The things players do at level 1/30/80 in Guild Wars 2 are basically what they will be doing forevermore in the game. This is the style and type of games Arena.net have made for almost a decade now. It has never changed. Expecting &/or asking for an endgame is simply a matter of player ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was supposedly able to revolutionize the MMO genre. Sadly it's just yet another game that won't live up to peoples expectations. We'll just have to wait for Titan I guess...
    At this point IF Titan even still exists, It'll be a total disaster.

15+ Year Old Account
    Titan will be met with the same hype and same over-expectations I am afraid. :s
    I really hoped people would be more sober for GW2 and be a little bit more realistic after what happened to Rift, then SW:TOR, then TERA but nope, same story again and again.

First things to do when a MMO is being announced are:

Research but don't take every preview and pre-release laurels as divine truth.
    Try to get access to open Beta.
    If you didn't get access to Beta then wait 3 months after release because it's then when most of the dust will have settled and critics become more realistic.
    Otherwise if you refuse to do both of the above then accept the consequences.

Just this: MMOs will never have singleplayer AAA game quality at launch. They will be more like Beta status in terms of singleplayer games. Yes, even WoW was like that and it's a timeless predicament of the genre meaning there is no valid 'We are in the year 2075 MMO games should be perfect at release!' argument. It's not going to happen. Not even with Titan.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!