15+ Year Old Account
    I want to play West Wing only if I can RP the entire game as Martin Sheen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok...Noob question and I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in the actual game. In general, those who've modded a game, is it standard practice to randomly assign roles or pick and choose for each person? Maybe that will help me understand some of the discussion in current game.

10+ Year Old Account
    in my experience, I usually random out all the roles but sometimes I may give a specific one to a person if I feel they'd play it best or if I feel they've been cursed with bad luck lately or w/e

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryllian View Post
    Ok...Noob question and I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in the actual game. In general, those who've modded a game, is it standard practice to randomly assign roles or pick and choose for each person? Maybe that will help me understand some of the discussion in current game.
    Random is standard.

For my games, I typically will assign 2-3 roles, and if the scum teams look too powerful (IE all people who have been playing well for ages on the forums and are notoriously hard/impossible to lynch) or too weak (all new people who likely won't work together well) I will modify them slightly. But mostly random.

10+ Year Old Account
    wtb fwiends, pst

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    wtb fwiends, pst
    We're here and we care. /hugs
    Mafia History

Mafia 2/2 | Town 6/9 | SK/Cult 1/2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senna1251 View Post
    We're here and we care. /hugs
    prove it

7+ Year Old Account
    prove it
    I'm not sure I can. All I can offer is my words and my listening ear. Feel free to pm me anytime.
    Mafia History

I always random roll it in games I've modded. Praise be the random. Nobody get the rights to complain later if it's randomly rolled. And weird-ass streaks are freaky instances of random instead of typecasting.

I know a lot of mods tend to swap key critical roles out of new players though. If the new guy is the cop, and the new guy decides to skip the game, then the town is at a severe disadvantage. Others like to NOT do that just because that is what you might expect to happen.

Case in point:
    - In the stargate game, town lost a key critical TPR due to the new player decided to skip game. This probably unbalanced the game in favour of scum.
    - In the harry potter game, two newbies (at the time) ended up as a SK duo. I think this was one of the best games we ever had, in no shortage due to that setup.

I will make no commentary as to the relevance of this with the current game. That's a question for the game thread
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I'm very drunk on my honeymoon and thought I'd post:
    Is hard to find an honest moment with all the bullshitting surrounding these games.
    Seeing as this is the first game I've missed since i started here: i want to say genuinely that you're a good community and im glad to be a part of you.

- - - Updated - - -

prove it
    In a lot of Places statements like this could be artificial. I think you can safly bet there are a good chunk of people here who actuality can relate and do care.

Quote Originally Posted by PalawinFC View Post
    Seeing as this is the first game I've missed since i started here: i want to say genuinely that you're a good community and im glad to be a part of you.
    Aaw. Love you too!
    NOW GET IN THE NOOSE, WE HAVE A LYNCHING TO DO!
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Aaw. Love you too!
    NOW GET IN THE NOOSE, WE HAVE A LYNCHING TO DO!
    Good noose everyone!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    Good noose everyone!
    There is no end to you, is there?
    Mafia History

Unfortunately not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Unfortunately not.
    Seconded, it never ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the mod and the game I'd say but the majority of people in any game will be randomed, and all in some. Occasionally people assign (or even craft) specific roles to specific people, in the only game I've moded we assigned a specific character to Listo and we made sure no brand new players got difficult to play/major roles (First time I randomed it a new guy ended up SK so I re-randomed) because sometimes new players disappear and if a VT or goon disappears it's not as big a deal as an SK, cop, jack etc going MIA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PalawinFC View Post
    I'm very drunk on my honeymoon and thought I'd post:
    Is hard to find an honest moment with all the bullshitting surrounding these games.
    Awww

Enjoy your honeymoon!

That's what she said...

7+ Year Old Account
    I walked right into that one.
    Mafia History

I walked right into that one.
    Also what she said.