Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it possible to RAF playing alone without playing two accounts at the same time?

I am interested in using RAF to open a second account for myself to get the exp bonus. I level fairly quick and have all the leather heirloom ready to go. What kills me about RAF is I _have_ to be grouped with the person I invite to get bonus exp. I'm assuming the only way around this right now is by "dual boxing"? Seems that I can level faster without having to run two instances of WoW at the same time.

All that said, our 10 man is lacking a monk and I'm going to re-roll as I'm very interested in going from a pure DPS my entire time playing WoW to a hybrid that can also fill in as a great utility healer. It's certainly exciting times. I just leveled a paladin from 1-85 in 2 days 14 hours played, but it seems with RAF, it can be done even faster. Question is, how can I do it alone so I don't have to depend on a "friend" to group with me so I can burn through levels as fast as possible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    I don't think you can actually do that without running two WoW programs. Eventually, you'd out level the 4 lvl range between your accounts and you'd lose the bonus. Unless you want to switch off and level so you'd still be within the 4 lvl range, which is just double work.

Also, per https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...friend-faq#q10

In order to receive triple experience, you must be partied with a character on a linked account and within 100 yards of one another. With this, both characters (veteran and recruit) must be present for each kill and quest completion.
    Last edited by arisoh; 2012-09-13 at 01:45 AM.

Dual-boxing isn't very hard, and can be done for free. Here's a video that helped me:

Just turn down the settings on your alt account really low (WoW without most of the graphics options turned up is very non-intensive on your computer), roll two of the same class and spec, and grind dungeons to 80. You'll gain about two levels every dungeon through most of Classic and BC, and a level per dungeon late into BC and Wrath. I was able to grind out a pair of boomkins to 80 over a weekend, and I'm planning on doing two shadow priests this weekend.

As dbdl said dual boxing makes it super easy to get 2 of the same class characters up to 80 in a matter of a day or two however if you do two seperate characters like I did then its a little harder to do. To get everything to line up correctly will take some work but its not to terrible.

Yes, yes you can. Ive done it 4 times now :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Very easy to dual box. Run both WoWs Windowed Fullscreen to tab to each easily. Did dungeons from 15-80.

Made first set a Tank/DPS. Get aggro on mobs on tank, switch to dps and kill, repeat. :P Suggest a hunter for easy DPS and AoE.

Second set I did Healer/Dps, was a little slower due to slower ques, but worked out a bit better as I didn't have to heal all that much and could nuke things down on dps.

Make a follow macro and bind it as well.

Took about a week altogether for both sets as I was lazy, but should be under 20 hours if you go full throttle.

Don't forget about your pre-leveling checklist for your monk!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ting-The-Guide
    Last edited by Koohii; 2012-09-13 at 02:30 AM.

Startropic
    Simple Math - US-Andorhal
    Windwalker Monk

15+ Year Old Account
    You can level normally without dual boxing. You won't get the 300% xp bonus but you are still gaining those free level gains for your monk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Deleted
    I had this same problem and i decided to try dual boxing. It took little time to get all macros etc working but when those were fixed i was suprised how easy dual boxing actually is.
    If you level as healer and dps (or even faster ques tank and dps) you get very fast dungeon ques and even when im lvl 72 i still get 1 lvl per dungeon where is quests.
    So everytime i do dungeon i get 1 lvl and open new dungeon where is new quests and i get new level again.

And ofc at lower levels you can get like 4 levels in one dungeon (30-40). Even in tbc i did get 2 levels per dungeon so its really fast to lvl just using dungeon finder since you dont have that many quest to make. accept and return (but with macros and etc you can make questing really easy too)

And i really dont like leveling in this game at all and im quite slow in leveling so if you say you can level fast etc you should really give it a try.

Only bad thing about dual boxing is that when you level with Raf bonus you dont want to level without it anymore

Sry about my bad English.
    Last edited by mmoc50890790d6; 2012-09-13 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    You can level normally without dual boxing. You won't get the 300% xp bonus but you are still gaining those free level gains for your monk.
    From what I understood is you only earnt levels to grant whilst in a group!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Spirit View Post
    From what I understood is you only earnt levels to grant whilst in a group!
    No, you earn levels to grant whenever the recruited character gains levels, it doesn't matter if he is in a group or not.

If you dont want to dualbox (aka messing around with macros, and key clone software)

Just do what I did.

Launch 2 wow instances Invite your chars to group put char 1 on follow (it requires some alt tabbing when picking and turning in quests but after an hour or so I noticed it went pretty much automatically)
    I just focused on the killing x amount of mob quests, the wanted mob quests and the quest that has you looting items from mobs (seeing in the last patch they changed it so that all players get the quest items from the mobs it has become ridicules easy)

the lv 80 char took me /played 1 day and 16 hours but that was my first 5.0.4 prepatch char (no Aoe loot etc and getting the feel for the alttabbing and quest layout/zones) and I played pretty casually (lots of alttabbing out of the game to watch some youtube and I even spend 2 evenings to get multiboxing to work which failed but I was stil logged on afk mode) so give or take 1 day played in the end.

for the lv 40 char it took me aprox 13 hours but I found out while leveling I picked the wrong class (Mage/rogue combo with rogue on follow) which slowed me down a lot.
    for the lv 80 I picked a (Hunter/Shaman on follow) personally I found this combo ridicules. Just make a macro to drop the totems and then I decimated pretty much everything on my hunter. I could do most group quests easily which pretty much was insta dinging on lower levels.

I have to say that all of the chars where in a high level guild (Extra quest exp and mob exp)and they where heirloom geared.

hope this helps :3

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post
    If you dont want to dualbox (aka messing around with macros, and key clone software)

Just do what I did.

Launch 2 wow instances Invite your chars to group put char 1 on follow (it requires some alt tabbing when picking and turning in quests but after an hour or so I noticed it went pretty much automatically)
    I did that too and it does take some getting used to, but after your'e used to tabbing between the two screens it goes pretty quick. I did 1-41 in a couple of hours. After awhile, I just started doing quests on one toon, and skipping the gather quests on the other just because it was getting boring.

If you do that, one of your characters will lag behind, and once it hits 5 levels behind (which won't take long if you skip quests on only one of your toons!) you will lose the RAF bonus. Multiboxing properly really isn't very difficult, just pay $15 for ISboxer and install the jamba addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyalise View Post
    No, you earn levels to grant whenever the recruited character gains levels, it doesn't matter if he is in a group or not.
    If this is the case then brilliant. I am RAF with myself atm and have had to level a couple to 40+ to catch up with veteran account.
    Thought I would only have level 40-80 worth of grants.

Can anyone else confirm this?

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 06:52 PM ----------

Ok I have just tested it myself. Created 2x level 1 gnomes. Leveled one to 3 (alone) and granted a level! Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If you do that, one of your characters will lag behind, and once it hits 5 levels behind (which won't take long if you skip quests on only one of your toons!) you will lose the RAF bonus. Multiboxing properly really isn't very difficult, just pay $15 for ISboxer and install the jamba addon.
    I can understand that multiboxing might be slightly easier but why pay extra money when you can just as easily do it for free? If the char on follow was a really chore then personally I could understand it but I have noticed during the RAffing the impact was quite minimal when having one char on follow.
    especially after the patch the quests got quite trival (when a quest item drops from a mob it drops for everyone in the group) so just pull all mobs to one spot. kill them loot, alttab and loot again the only quests that can be a pain are the quest where you have to pick flowers,pickup bottles etc aka world objects but you can easily skip those.

generically I needed to do about 10-15 quests per zone sometimes even less to out level them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to dual box or find someone who is willing to help you... Also, don't use BoA gear since it will only make one of the 2 characters level quicker and you'll lose the extra exp since you're not within 3 levels of each other.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    I'm actually tempted to do this but dunno, seems troublesome if it doesn't work and I payed for a second account.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I didn't have that problem to be honest though. Leveling up I would do certain gathering quests, and tried to avoid as many of them as I could. At 70 I just went solo up to 75 with my friend account. Then when I went to do the AoA, I just logged my main 85 in and ran the remaining levels through dungeon quests which went fast. I was surprised i got the RAF bonus considering I was 10 levels behind my 85.

It does indeed work, I did it just about two days ago. I had three accounts and was dual boxing, and was able to grant 39 free levels to the account that I never used for RAFing.

If you're starting from scratch with two brand new accounts, it might actually be a smart idea to sell the RAF boosting rights to someone else. Have him recruit you as a friend, level your pair of characters, and then make him pay 1k gold per level granted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Spirit View Post
    If this is the case then brilliant. I am RAF with myself atm and have had to level a couple to 40+ to catch up with veteran account.
    Thought I would only have level 40-80 worth of grants.

Can anyone else confirm this?

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 06:52 PM ----------

Ok I have just tested it myself. Created 2x level 1 gnomes. Leveled one to 3 (alone) and granted a level! Hurrah!
    Going to level 2 is enough for that