Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetleader View Post
    This thread makes me laugh. If you have to question why someone would spend that much, then you will never understand and you shouldn't post anymore.
    I don't need to question it as I know one of the primary reasons for it, it's also one of the primary reasons you see 40 year old guys in sports cars & 50 year old women with 30 year old's breasts - vanity. A watch should always be a timepiece, the difference between classy people & goons is that a classy person will have a practical watch first a goon will have a status symbol first and well, when the guy has already admitted he'd be more likely to check the time on his phone somewhat tells me he's more of the goon variety than the classy person. An educated goon it would be fair to say, but it's still a goon.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    See maybe it's just me, but I'd look at you, go "what a pretentious cunt" and find another lawyer who realises that I'm not hiring a fuckin model, I'm hiring a lawyer, they can rock up in jeans & an AC/DC t-shirt for all I care so long as they know their stuff.

If I saw a lawyer who checked his phone when I asked him the time despite the fact he was wearing a watch, he'd be fired even quicker than the pretentious cunt.
    Not only are you going to have a hard time appealing to 99% of clients if you do not look professional, the opposition that you need to convince will think less of you if you wear an ac/dc shirt instead of a suit.

I don't think spending $800 is smart on a watch at that age though. I've personally been using a Black Tissot PRC 200 with different straps for about 4 years now. It even survived military without any significant damage. When I worked in retail I constantly got compliments on my watch, people asking where to get it, which I found quite surprising. It might be a bit too sporty for something as conservative as law though.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-09-15 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    why would a guy spend 1k$ on a useless accessory while still in school in beyond me
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Quote Originally Posted by kittysox View Post
    People seem to not understand that keeping up appearances is very important in some lines of work and things should be budgeted accordingly.
    This is why I'm glad to be in a field where people are evaluated primarily on merit rather than on whether my daddy was sufficiently wealthy to buy me expensive things before I'd ever earned them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is why I'm glad to be in a field where people are evaluated primarily on merit rather than on whether my daddy was sufficiently wealthy to buy me expensive things before I'd ever earned them.
    You don't actually need lots of money to look good, it's more about understanding the required style. Buy a quality knock-off watch at $100-200 and no one will ever know unless the real watch would cost thousands upon thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Not only are you going to have a hard time appealing to 99% of clients if you do not look professional, the opposition that you need to convince will think less of you if you wear an ac/dc shirt instead of a suit.

I don't think spending $800 is smart on a watch at that age though. I've personally been using a Black Tissot PRC 200 with different straps for about 4 years now. It even survived military without any significant damage. When I worked in retail I constantly got compliments on my watch, people asking where to get it, which I found quite surprising. It might be a bit too sporty for something as conservative as law though.
    100% of clients do not care about the look if the result goes their way, you will never find a single person who will bemoan a lawyer having a £100 watch on if they win cases.

As for the pretentious cunt comment, hate to say it, but it's not a "eurofag" thing, it's called talking straight - you call exactly what you see & happens the world over, the Scottish influence is in the fact I'm not afraid to use language which may offend if it's justified and far as I see it, there's no more straight way of describing it than to say it in that manner.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people can't work hard to treat them to something nice? Some people like cars, some like art, some like watches and/or jewelry. What's the problem?

You don't actually need lots of money to look good, it's more about understanding the required style. Buy a quality knock-off at $100-200 and no one will ever know.
    Or just a quality watch that is very understated. Cream dial, gold/gold plated hour markers and hands and a polished stainless steel/gold plate strap. My watch is no Breitling or Rolex, but a too showy watch just looks like you are showing off IMO. Nobody is going to see it under your suit sleeve anyway.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-09-15 at 08:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a student too, and I've been wearing a Tissot for about two years now. It was about $600, but I got it as a birthday present - I'd never spend that much money on a watch with the budget I have (and I suspect you do, too). I'm all for looking professional in the workplace, but splurging like that on what's clearly just a status symbol (unless you're a real watch enthusiast) when you're not even actually a lawyer (and thus making a lawyer's pay) is, to be frank, just dumb.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Deleted
    alright knowledge round here to see who actually knows something more about a watch, apart from it telling time and being wastefull compared with phones today.

Top row are all my personally owned watched 5 seikos and 1 fossil, 4/6 are automatic.
    And i'd be seriously impressed if someone could identify the bottom right 3 watches (those are actually family pieces, 2 of them)

You don't actually need lots of money to look good, it's more about understanding the required style. Buy a quality knock-off watch at $100-200 and no one will ever know unless the real watch would cost thousands upon thousands.
    Fine, I'm glad I'm not in a field where it's beneficial to pretend to be wealthy. Seriously, do you not see how this would seem really pathetically superficial to some?

Deleted
    Fine, I'm glad I'm not in a field where it's beneficial to pretend to be wealthy. Seriously, do you not see how this would seem really pathetically superficial to some?
    How about lets talk watches instead of why certain jobs require certain items to uphold a reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Because people can't work hard to treat them to something nice? Some people like cars, some like art, some like watches and/or jewelry. What's the problem?
    The OP is a student. A student. Let me repeat, he is a student. If he's blowing $1K on a watch, it's very likely that it's not money he actually earned, as it's quite difficult to even make enough money to cover basic life expenses during school. Do whatever the fuck you like with your money once you have a career, it's no skin off my ass. I do, however, think that the reason that a couple people have given that it's important to pretend to be wealthy is a very sad commentary on the culture of some professions.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    How about lets talk watches instead of why certain jobs require certain items to uphold a reputation
    All I really know of watches is that I've always been told to go cheap or very expensive (as many of these watches gain value, I'm told). Fossil's seem nice for very reasonable prices. I have a Bulova sitting around somewhere that I liked when I got it, but it seems gaudy to me now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Or just a quality watch that is very understated. Cream dial, gold/gold plated hour markers and hands and a polished stainless steel/gold plate strap. My watch is no Breitling or Rolex, but a too showy watch just looks like you are showing off IMO. Nobody is going to see it under your suit sleeve anyway.
    Yeah buying a knock-off (or real for that matter) rolex or breitling won't work as a lawyer anyway. And you probably want a leather strap.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    alright knowledge round here to see who actually knows something more about a watch, apart from it telling time and being wastefull compared with phones today.

Top row are all my personally owned watched 5 seikos and 1 fossil, 4/6 are automatic.
    And i'd be seriously impressed if someone could identify the bottom right 3 watches (those are actually family pieces, 2 of them)
    All of those are horrible for OP's profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP is a student. A student. Let me repeat, he is a student. If he's blowing $1K on a watch, it's very likely that it's not money he actually earned, as it's quite difficult to even make enough money to cover basic life expenses during school. Do whatever the fuck you like with your money once you have a career, it's no skin off my ass. I do, however, think that the reason that a couple people have given that it's important to pretend to be wealthy is a very sad commentary on the culture of some professions.
    You make it sound like $1,000 is a lot of money, even for a student. You have no idea what his other expenses are at school. I had two full time jobs during college. Unlike a lot of other students, I didn't have a car, so I had no expenses that went along with that. I had the money to buy a watch if I wanted.

Deleted
    Yeah buying a knock-off (or real for that matter) rolex or breitling won't work as a lawyer anyway. And you probably want a leather strap.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 08:09 PM ----------

All of those are horrible for OP's profession.
    Just horrible sure mind to explain?
    btw about straps you know anyone with that tiny screwdriver can swap those out........

I would have to save a year for such a watch as a 21 y/o student myself.. D:

There are a lot of students who aren't broke.
    There are a lot of places where going to university isn't incredibly expensive (sucks to be American, I guess?).

If he has the money, why shouldn't he spend it? A good watch will last him for a long while, he will still be able to wear it when he actually finished his studies.

OT:
    I'm Swiss, but sadly I have no idea about watches... even though, after reading this thread, it seems like it's a lot more common to wear watches around here than in other places around the world.

Right now I'm wearing some cheap Casio watch... but it lasted quite a few years already.

And I'd never even consider looking at the phone instead of the watch to get the time/date. I wear the watch basically always (I only put it away when I come in contact with water or I clean it) and without it I feel absolutely lost. If my watch broke, I'd probably buy a new one within the next 48 hours.

... and what's your field sir?

(Some people have money to spend, no need act that way)

Deleted
    Why would you spend 800 euros on a watch???! What the hell .... Personally, I like those leather watches, the rest is just meh.