Looking into getting the following keyboard very soon, looking for opinions.

Hey guys, I've been looking at several keyboards just about everywhere and wanted to get one before MoP comes out. My current keyboard is an extremely old keyboard not even worth mentioning tbh, think it may have came with my very first computer from many many years ago, only reason I'm using it is because my old one was PS/2 only which my current computer has no connection to unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestou.../dp/B004Z0XSAA

-I plan to use this keyboard for extensive PvP/PvE (mainly high end arena PvP).

-Not many reviews based on this specific one but I've heard nothing but good things from the company that makes them, and decided to go with this one in particular. If anyone has any experience with this company, good/bad I'd be interested to know.

-I've never bought a mechanical keyboard so I don't have any personal experience with any of the different key switches, but decided to go with the Black ones based on personal preference from what I have read thus far. If anyone can provide me any feedback from there experience with black switches, that would be greatly appreciated.

-Doesn't say whether its USB only or PS/2 or both unless I missed it which is the only thing I'd really like to know, saw a few reviews on it on Youtube and it seems to be USB which is what I need since my computer doesn't have a PS/2 connection for some reason, if anyone knows let me know! Otherwise, let me know what you guys think about my choice and if I should go through with it as I would like to make my decision sometime tomorrow and place my order asap, thanks!

I personally prefer the black switches, but it seems like most people experienced with mechanical boards prefer reds for gaming. Between those two switches, I'm not sure exactly where the preference comes from. Maybe I'm a little clumsier than most serious gamers; maybe my fingers are a little heavier or stronger. I can tell you that a black takes about the same force to actuate as most rubber dome keyboards (though with a smoother, shorter travel) and reds are a fair bit lighter than that. This is a hard thing to suggest to someone; it's really a personal preference that you have to experience to learn. You seem to have done your research though, and I can tell you even a blue switch is a world of difference from rubber.

I've never used an actual Filco board, so I don't have much for personal experience on the topic. I'm using a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid right now, which I've heard is made by the same OEM as Filco, and it's hands-down the most solidly-built thing ever plugged into my computer. Short of that, I've not heard a bad word about Filco, save "expensive." I can't honestly say that I've ever had a problem with any mechanical board's construction or quality though--just features and design flaws.

As for the connector, you shouldn't worry about it. These mechanical boards tend to be USB with a PS/2 adapter in the box. Quite honestly I don't think anything comes with PS/2 as its default anymore.

I don't think you can go wrong with this. Should be a great keyboard, and I hope you enjoy it.

cant tell or not or not if the keys light up but from looks they dont, which is only thing i wouldnt like. after all these years of having my keyboard that the keys light up i wouldnt go back to a keyboard without this feature.

as far as mechanical keyboards go i have never had one myself and not sure i get what the craze is about them. i have a merc stealth and enjoy it alot

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    I personally prefer the black switches, but it seems like most people experienced with mechanical boards prefer reds for gaming.
    This does use the black switches. N-key rollover isn't possible on USB, only 6-key, it will come with a USB -> PS/2 adapter. I think you will like it, no Cherry switch is bad, it's just preference. If there is a computer store with multiple types you can press and test out I'd strongly recommend it.

If it has the words "Filco" and "Majestouch" on it, it's a good keyboard.

The rest is just icing on the cake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    i have a merc stealth and enjoy it alot
    Although he didn't recommend it, heck it's a GREAT keyboard. I don't think I could ever go back to a "normal" one

Deleted
    I have a Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 "tenkeyless", Swedish layout with Cherry MX Blues. Probably the best keyboard I have personally ever typed on. It is rigid beyond reason and the key and switch implementation is superb.

It's USB with a PS/2 adapter. Works with either.

These are black switches iirc.
    I have nothing bad to say about Filco-keyboards, sadly. The non-ninja versions paint smudge and disappear. They can get pricey. That's about it. ._.

Deleted
    Massively over priced for what it is, Looks like an old Dell keyboard :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Red LEDs, no sale, RAGE!!! Is it mechanical? Doesn't look like it.

A good Logitec G-x is a good brand. For serious gaming abuse, I am loving the Razer Blackwidow.

Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click ,Click...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefz View Post
    Massively over priced for what it is, Looks like an old Dell keyboard :/
    Not sure where to begin...

You obviously don't know "what it is", so claiming that it's overpriced is just being judgmental without any factual base. Keyboards from The Keyboard Company, namely the Filco boards, have been highly regarded since they first "launched" back in the early 90's. Imported from probably the best keyboard manufacturer in China, the Filco boards are some of the most durable, well built and ergonomically pleasing boards on the market. Claiming that they are cheap DELL-lookalikes is so extremely off it's not even ironically funny.

The Filco boards are built with precision in mind, and next to the Das Keyboard line they hold what is regarded as the best implementation of Cherry MX switches on the market. The chassis, the cable, the internal components are all of the highest possible quality. In a market where bloated, overpriced, LCD-filled and LED-backlit "gaming" membrane keyboards with a bazillion macro keys are more and more common and exaggerated, it's nice to find a proper, basic keyboard of the highest possible quality still stand strong.

I have a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 tenkeyless keyboard since a few months back. It got delivered as per requested specifications from The Keyboard Company (Swedish layout, Cherry MX Blue switches, "Ninja" printed caps). I have brought this keyboard almost every day to work since, used it in a dusty warehouse environment, and it shows no signs at all of deterioration. It is so sturdy and rigid I would probably use it as a "close by, next to me zombie-apocalypse weapon" over any nearby object. I have stepped on this keyboard with nothing to show for it - not even a scratch.

Further, it works with anything, always. It works with my Raspberry Pi without any issues, using anything from Wheezy to Raspbmc. It works in any BIOS or rare gem system configuration I have ever tried it on, USB or PS/2.

It is a standard, rigid, sturdy and absolutely superb mechanical keyboard. Unless you really seek features such as media buttons, LED backlit keys, macro buttons, and so on the Filco keyboards are absolutely amazing keyboards for gamers and typists alike.

Also to note, when I ordered my Filco I also included their leather wrist rest (short, tenkeyless version). This is real leather, shaped and manufactured for perfection. It works so extremely well with the keyboard I simply can't live without it. It looks very sleek too and is just as rigid as the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    /snip
    But swifty doesn't use it, its not made by razer, and it doesn't have any glowing shit on it.. so its obviously garbage.
    Filco and Ducky are both amazing. I had to settle for a CMstorm quickfire rapid due to budget but I'd still use it any day over any RM.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro