Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    How would they know what religion you follow? And what do you mean by "marry the wrong person"?
    some people wear things that make their religion obvious - a cross for example.

and I'm sure you know what a 'wrong' person is.

I think the policy make sense, but it cannot be used to discriminate on religion or race basis.
    There is some middle ground for discriminating against children. I wouldn't expect infant to be in a movie-theater, but apparently it's OK, but I won't bring my baby in there.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me tell you a quick story

I have deal with big box store but the worst of the all is * best buy * when they refuses a price match or lies about when i order for a store pickup and is not there * i do compliant * and i have there name and the time/date and i e-mail corp and within a few day the problem is fix ether by compensation or discount for my trouble and inconvenience and is happen everytimes and the last one that involve my dell 530 i posted on there forum a very harsh posting and is was so bad that i got a call from best buy and i came that close to be black listed just for that posting at all best buy

and i did apology because i was pissoff and is was heat of the moment

Also i was threatened with a banned from amazon.com for call a CSR a bad word and insulting her
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-09-16 at 10:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the root issue is people think they're entitled to things that they really aren't. "Freedom of Speech", "The Customer is always right!" aren't real world statements. If a store doesn't want to deal with you and they have reason, then they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Yes, but not necessarily without consequence.

If a local store refused to serve someone that was black, or in the military, or something along those lines, I'd certainly never shop there, and I'd let my friends and family know not to shop there either.

Freedom of speech means you can say what you want, but it doesn't mean other people have to listen to you or like what you say... same principle, really :-P
    Unless they have good reason with proof, video tape preferably. If a certain demographic is causing issues, then why not be cautious.

Stores and fast food chains around here banning high school kids at lunch hour is pretty common as well. ❤

Absolutely especially in that hypothetical of the client being offensive and abusive to staff.

Deleted
    Yes, as long as it's private.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    there are bad customer that have major powertrip and will cause a scene everytimes !

I think so. But British Courts have said no. A Gay couple phoned to book a stay at a B&B. They got the booking and when they turned up they were told they needed to stay in 2 seperate beds due to no same sex couples in the b&b (This applies to things like Hen and Stag Nights as well). The B&B claimed the people who booked claimed to be Mr and Mrs, the Gay couple claimed they didn't

The British Court said they couldn't do this.

So No you can't deny for any reason. And Heck, they didn't even deny them service this time. And a B&B is fully private property. It was their home.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also when bad customer that do get kick out for the behavior they will use the R card all the times !

There's a very fine line between controlling businesses too much and turning a blind eye to discrimination. I think it should be approached case by case. I think if you open your business to the public, you don't get to be selective. You should be allowed to make rules ("NO SHOES - NO SERVICE") but those rules must not be discriminatory ("NO SERVICE FOR PEOPLE ABOVE 250 POUNDS")
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Yes absolutely, they have the right to tell whoever they want to get on their bike and go someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    There's a very fine line between controlling businesses too much and turning a blind eye to discrimination. I think it should be approached case by case. I think if you open your business to the public, you don't get to be selective. You should be allowed to make rules ("NO SHOES - NO SERVICE") but those rules must not be discriminatory ("NO SERVICE FOR PEOPLE ABOVE 250 POUNDS")
    Both cases are discriminatory. You're making blind statements of refusal. Sorry but if You can't deny people based on weight, you can't deny based on footwear. Unless necessary.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Abusive Customers: Customer Service Training : When Customer Tries to Pick a Fight

Abusive Customers: Customer Service Training : Examples of Bad Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I think so. But British Courts have said no. A Gay couple phoned to book a stay at a B&B. They got the booking and when they turned up they were told they needed to stay in 2 seperate beds due to no same sex couples in the b&b (This applies to things like Hen and Stag Nights as well). The B&B claimed the people who booked claimed to be Mr and Mrs, the Gay couple claimed they didn't

So No you can't deny for any reason. And Heck, they didn't even deny them service this time. And a B&B is fully private property. It was their home.
    That is sexist discrimination. And that is illegal. See the Equality Act of 2010 (and the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975 which it replaced). This law requires equal treatment in access to employment as well as private and public services, regardless of the protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation (Equality Act sch.3, part 7, para 28)

As much as I'd likely disagree with the reasons... yes, any private business should be able to refute the business of whoever the choose. Unfortunately, this includes really radically stupid reasons like race and if you just don't like the person's face...

That is sexist discrimination. And that is illegal. See the Equality Act of 2010 (and the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975 which it replaced). This law requires equal treatment in access to employment as well as private and public services, regardless of the protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation (Equality Act sch.3, part 7, para 28)
    Except they aint doing it based solely on sexual orientation. They are doing it based on same gender couple sharing a room. As a blanket statement you are allowed to that in GB. You can refuse service to Hen nights and Stag nights. The service wasn't denied because they were gay, but because two people of same gender sharing. Straight or gay didn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post

I think there is a difference between blanket discriminatory polices and refusing service to particular individuals. You can refuse service to someone who happens to be gay, but you cannot refuse service to all gay people.

Deleted
    If the customer is rude/abusive/threatening/drunk/high/etc then yes. If it's because of the workers own prejudices then no, and they need to grow up (like the B&B case someone posted earlier).

Yup, private businesses have every right to choose their clientele.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would they know what religion you follow? And what do you mean by "marry the wrong person"?
    Several religions require certain manners of dress or certain items one must carry. And you evidently have never heard of anti-miscegenation laws or the attitudes that spawned them (and sadly persist to today in places).

Quote Originally Posted by Khalai View Post
    Here in Canada, stores are operated on private property, and thus the owner can deny service to any one they want for whatever reason they want.
    Wrong. Go read the Canadian Human Rights Act.
    Last edited by Masark; 2012-09-16 at 11:40 PM.