Mac/Windows Partition on an External

I have a 500gb external drive that I used for backing up my old macbook pro, but I no longer use the laptop and would now like to use the external for my windows laptop. The drive doesn't work with my windows laptop since it's the mac format, but I've used a program in the past (don't remember which) to go in and take some of the data off and put it on the windows laptop.

Would it be possible to create a separate partition (I believe that's the right term?) on the external for windows that my windows laptop could read from and store data on, while still maintaining the mac partition? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

If you create a FAT partition, both Mac and Windows will be able to read and write to it. It is also possible to resize your current Mac partition (without loosing data) and create a new, FAT formatted one. Regardless of what you want to do, you can accomplish both with Disk Utility application which is part of your Mac installation - it has a very straightforward interface and lets you format/partition your disk. It can also change the partition map while leaving the data intact.

FAT comes with one inherit issue though, no files over 2GB. If it's for storage, that may be a problem.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Unfortunately my macbook pro is no longer usable so I wouldn't be able to do that, plus the 2gb size limit would be an issue.

You'll need some partitioning program if you want to shrink existing partitions, and even that is not guaranteed to work depending on how full the disc is. Something that understands Mac's HFS.

If there's nothing you need to save on the external disc you can easily just remove all partitions and format it as FAT32 (will support 4GB files) or NTFS (no practical size limitation). 2GB file size limitation is on FAT16 discs only, and those aren't currently used anywhere outside small digital camera memory cards.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Don't most cluster configs dictate 2GB on FAT32? I know FAT16 in certain configs could attain 4GB as well, I don't know. It's been ages since I used said file system. Last time was with an old Maxtor external from like 2003.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Don't most cluster configs dictate 2GB on FAT32?
    Maybe, but not on plain vanilla windows. 4GB has been always limit when you just let the OS format the disc with default settings. Maybe you're confusing it with the 2GB AVI limit?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    It's been ages since I used said file system. Last time was with an old Maxtor external from like 2003.
    FAT32 is better for USB sticks, it's faster and more compatible with non-windows stuff (like for example media players). NTFS shouldn't be used unless you're 100% sure you need support for files bigger than 4GB.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Yes you can do that. Use a program like iPartition. Or you can use tuxera NFTS to gain the ability to read and write on NFTS partioned drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Yes you can do that. Use a program like iPartition. Or you can use tuxera NFTS to gain the ability to read and write on NFTS partioned drives.
    Bit harder when the OP specifically said he does not have access to Mac laptop at the moment.
    Trolling should be.

So it looks like I'm out of luck lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Macdisk for windows
    While this isn't free it should allow you to recover all the files to another medium so that you may repartition and format the drive for windows use.
    Note: It don't actually take care of the partitioning. You still have to use windows disk management console for that.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2012-09-17 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks! I'll take a look into that later tonight.