Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Luckily for us, Arenanet doesn't believe that the fact that people WILL do it means it needs to be facilitated.
    When a game developer knows that players will do something, it's pretty logical for them to facilitate it, as this makes their game more enjoyable for the end user
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

  2. #22
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,073
    I don't care for dps meters, but how is min/maxing a bad thing? Maybe some people get enjoyment from playing the best they can and not from using gimmicky "fun" spells that are borderline useless in a combat situation. I'd personally rather run with a group of min/maxers in a dungeon than a group that has no idea what they are doing and are just playing what they think is "fun" even if it means wiping 50 times in a dungeon.


  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I don't care for dps meters, but how is min/maxing a bad thing? Maybe some people get enjoyment from playing the best they can and not from using gimmicky "fun" spells that are borderline useless in a combat situation. I'd personally rather run with a group of min/maxers in a dungeon than a group that has no idea what they are doing and are just playing what they think is "fun" even if it means wiping 50 times in a dungeon.
    Well, to play devil's advocate, Guild Wars 2 is easy enough that you can plow through it without knowing what's good or bad
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

  4. #24
    Unless of course they're trying to avoid other side effects too. The few people who actually LIKE to theorycraft are not exactly in the wrong, but when it starts happening, it causes everyone else to feel the need to min max, whether they want to or not.

    There are plenty of games out there with the min max culture, whose communities are complete garbage as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words.
    Ezekiel 23:20

  5. #25
    The mods are aabsolutely necessary, just for changing UI font, at least.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Unless of course they're trying to avoid other side effects too. The few people who actually LIKE to theorycraft are not exactly in the wrong, but when it starts happening, it causes everyone else to feel the need to min max, whether they want to or not.

    There are plenty of games out there with the min max culture, whose communities are complete garbage as a result.
    Lol?

    Explain to me how playing a game properly hurts the community
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

  7. #27
    Dreadlord Ninaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Lol?

    Explain to me how playing a game properly hurts the community
    You saw the same "arguments" in the Rift forums. Now there are AddOns (including a damage meter) and I noticed no change in the community.

    I have nothing against AddOns / Mods if they don't give blatant advantages over the people that don't use them. I don't even think that a damage meter would be very useful, considering the fact that it's about more than tank&spank most of the time. But hey, don't have to use it, eh?

  8. #28
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdgW_G4FyU

    I stumbled upon this video reading the official GW2 forums. It's basically implementing the action UI feature from that mmo Tera.

    What do you guys think about adding not only this mod, but other possibilities?
    Not anything like tera sorry, tera was created by a company that quit working for NCsoft during the creation of lineage 3 then stole from ncsoft to make tera.
    Tera's combat is slow like a snails pace requires you to stop moving to cast spells.

    Guild wars 2 is fast fluid dynamic and mobile you can run shoot fire spells dodge block run etc. ya i know i said run twice.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Not anything like tera sorry, tera was created by a company that quit working for NCsoft during the creation of lineage 3 then stole from ncsoft to make tera.
    Tera's combat is slow like a snails pace requires you to stop moving to cast spells.

    Guild wars 2 is fast fluid dynamic and mobile you can run shoot fire spells dodge block run etc. ya i know i said run twice.
    Guild Wars 2's combat is mobile, and to an extent "dynamic", but it is not fluid. It's actually rather clunky, and awkward, and so is the movement
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

  10. #30
    I never really liked the aiming in Tera, you could literally aim next to a mob and still hit them that's just due to rather large hitboxes I guess but still, you did have to aim somewhat though, but the action combat they used also lead to a slowmotion world where everything including yourself was doing motion animations in slowmotion so they could be easily avoided, the first BAMF fight was exciting and fun you did it all yourself! then you realized that level 20 BAMF was doing the exact same thing every single other one did failing was only possible because it took so long you fell asleep.

    Tera is the first MMO I've played that and couldn't even max out a character wich is sad because it started so well in that game, I have no idea how they where thinking when they made every single mob setup exactly the same in every zone starting from level 1.
    When in doubt, mumble...

  11. #31
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    I never really liked the aiming in Tera, you could literally aim next to a mob and still hit them that's just due to rather large hitboxes I guess but still, you did have to aim somewhat though, but the action combat they used also lead to a slowmotion world where everything including yourself was doing motion animations in slowmotion so they could be easily avoided, the first BAMF fight was exciting and fun you did it all yourself! then you realized that level 20 BAMF was doing the exact same thing every single other one did failing was only possible because it took so long you fell asleep.

    Tera is the first MMO I've played that and couldn't even max out a character wich is sad because it started so well in that game, I have no idea how they where thinking when they made every single mob setup exactly the same in every zone starting from level 1.
    The thing with TERA is that game was developed 5 years or more ago in korea, with dev's who dont care about anything and even broke korean laws.

    That aside.

    They never developed new content the korean players said it was toooo grindy this coming from ppl who loved aion.

    They ported the game with hardly any work to english and the company here in NA has no rights to create new content and no new content to port.

    The game is not looking to do so well in the future.

    And all that aside its combat felt really slow.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  12. #32
    All I would like is macros, but not your typical macros that first come into mind when you hear that word.

    I just want to be able to push a button to switch to a different build template, so I can easily switch my set of utilities easier along with any major traits that might go better with the different utilities.

    When I run dungeons I've ran before, and I know what to expect, I'm constantly switching out utilities between pulls and for different bosses. That includes my heal and my elite, and sometimes even all 3 of the other utilities. It's not just 1 or 2 utilities I'm switching sometimes.

    It would just be nice to be able to push a button and instantly switch all my skills to what I needed.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    All I would like is macros, but not your typical macros that first come into mind when you hear that word.

    I just want to be able to push a button to switch to a different build template, so I can easily switch my set of utilities easier along with any major traits that might go better with the different utilities.

    When I run dungeons I've ran before, and I know what to expect, I'm constantly switching out utilities between pulls and for different bosses. That includes my heal and my elite, and sometimes even all 3 of the other utilities. It's not just 1 or 2 utilities I'm switching sometimes.

    It would just be nice to be able to push a button and instantly switch all my skills to what I needed.
    Something like this would definitely be an excellent addition. I was confused when I discovered that the game lacks this feature already
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    The thing with TERA is that game was developed 5 years or more ago in korea, with dev's who dont care about anything and even broke korean laws.

    That aside.

    They never developed new content the korean players said it was toooo grindy this coming from ppl who loved aion.

    They ported the game with hardly any work to english and the company here in NA has no rights to create new content and no new content to port.

    The game is not looking to do so well in the future.

    And all that aside its combat felt really slow.
    The game has many things that are very good I think, beautiful scenery and graphics at almost no "cost" aka you don't need a very good computer to get it, controls are quick and responsive wich is usually what people notice first from games that don't when coming from say WoW, the ingame dungeons are amazing not instances I'm talking about the dungeons you find in the world, there are also lots of smaller things you were able to that I like such as climbing ladders for example.

    Then there is one thing that takes all of it away, it's not fun! and this is why you start low level facing 1+1 and 1+10 mobs and a little later Bams there I just described every single mob setup in the entire game, you see nothing new after that.
    When in doubt, mumble...

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I don't care for dps meters, but how is min/maxing a bad thing? Maybe some people get enjoyment from playing the best they can and not from using gimmicky "fun" spells that are borderline useless in a combat situation. I'd personally rather run with a group of min/maxers in a dungeon than a group that has no idea what they are doing and are just playing what they think is "fun" even if it means wiping 50 times in a dungeon.
    I think most people that would like dps meters, myself included, isn't for the epeen factor, but rather just having empirical data of whats being done. Sure, you could theoretically create a sim outside the game, but I'd much rather have the DPS meters that actually provide a record of what my actual keystrokes do or don't xD

  16. #36
    NO! waste of time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •