Poll: Should a non elected judge be able to strike down laws enacted by an elected body?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the primary reasons for the existence of the Judicial Branch of the government is to strike down laws that were put into place by an elected body that are deemed unconstitutional. Democracy is preserved because the people have the ability to change the Constitution if they so desire (The Bill of Rights and other amendments were just such changes).

You are well within your rights as a citizen of the United States of America to push your elected representatives in an attempt to get the First Amendment repealed, if that is truly what you wish. If you are unwilling or unable to get that amendment repealed, however, you must understand that you do NOT have the right to only apply it to the things that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    I haven't read any of the involved laws but are you saying part of this STATE law was unconstitutional to the US Constitution not the WI state Constitution. A federal judge has no business saying something is unconstitutional unless it violates the US constitution. What exactly about it goes against the US constitution.

The judge says it violates both the US and WI constitution. Which I find interesting because not every state has collective bargaining.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My brain went through some mental loops to sort out the typo and I read this as unionized workers getting pay caps while un-ionized workers didn't.
    Hah, I left out the un- on the second part. My bad, fixed now.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    The idea of elected judges is the scariest shit. Judges exist as a check to majority power, they should not be decided by the majority. Their jobs are supposed to be apolitical and you can't separate politics from elections.
    it's called "gleichschaltung" it's brining all organs of the state in "line" of a certain political direction, and yeah its scary as shit.
    i don't get why peole get upset by it.. the judge ruled it's against the constitution to take someones liberty to save some money and thats it.
    republicans are fighting for liberty, but only for rebuplica enforced liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    lolwut? That's the point of judges? To go against the will of the people? Do you know what democracy is?
    I remember a film of a bunch of white voters who were not to fond of black kids going to their kids schools. Judicial branch puts the other two branches in check for a damn good reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a lot more scared of the strongest craft union in the united states (the teachers union) than I am of judges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    lolwut? That's the point of judges? To go against the will of the people? Do you know what democracy is?
    The law doesn't care for Democracy, nor should it.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I am a lot more scared of the strongest craft union in the united states (the teachers union) than I am of judges.
    I am scared of Republicans who think cutting education is REMOTELY a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Wisconsin has a State Supreme Court, IMO it is here that such checks and balances should occur, as those judges are elected.
    it'll get there. it has to work its way up the food chain. though hopefully this verdict will be upheld

Deleted
    well still the teachers union isn't even remotley as powerful as the armament/oil industry...

Please explain.
    Freedom of Speech: Unions are an organization. Act 10 prohibits members of Unions from collecting Union dues. Somehow Corperations are now considered people, but for some reason Unions arn't.
    Freedom of Association: Collective bargaining is protected under the Freedom of Association, meaning you are able to negotiate your services that benefits your co-workers as well.
    Equal Representation: The section that pertains to political parties. Republicans make their campaign contributions from prominent businesses. Democrats make their campaign contributions from Unions, crippling unions was an attempt to cripple any future democrat candidates in Wisconsin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wisconsin has a State Supreme Court, IMO it is here that such checks and balances should occur, as those judges are elected. Juan Colas, the judge in question was appointed by our last governor, Jim Doyle. So now the state of Wisconsin is beheld to political opinions of a past leader because of this judge.
    If it goes to the State Supreme Court, it goes there. But, being tied to a past leader is pretty common. We've got two Reagan judges on the US Supreme Court still.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Let's not forget that the act doesn't apply to all unions. Coincidentally its mostly just democratic leaning unions.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    it'll get there. it has to work its way up the food chain. though hopefully this verdict will be upheld
    Oh it will absolutely go there and almost certainly be upheld.

You're scared of all those fat-cat, millionaire, hit-man teachers?

Are you also scared of dragons?

The judge says it violates both the US and WI constitution. Which I find interesting because not every state has collective bargaining.
    Other states not having collective bargaining doesn't make this law constitutional. Whether unions are constitutional or not does not come into play, what comes into play is institutionalized distinction this law would make between union and non-union workers. That's what is unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Equal Representation: The section that pertains to political parties. Republicans make their campaign contributions from prominent businesses. Democrats make their campaign contributions from Unions, crippling unions was an attempt to cripple any future democrat candidates in Wisconsin.
    This part is actually a load of bullshit.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-09-17 at 09:23 PM.

yeah, that teachers' union, they're almost like the teamsters of the 60's. huh?

id be more scared that we lose all ability to attract halfway competent people to the job of teacher. the job already sucks, and people will only take so much shit before the profession is all but abandoned. then im sure the GOP that strongarmed the unions and axed teacher pay to nothing while publicly vilifying them will find a way to blame the "liberals" that wanted children to get an education.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I am scared of Republicans who think cutting education is REMOTELY a good idea.
    Craft unions only have one concern, the betterment of their particular group. If your wondering why you have a quota and line for getting accepting to the school of education, it's because of the teachers union. If your wondering why you might have a hard time finding a job as a teacher straight out of college, its because of the teachers union. They do everything possible to restrict people from getting into their union and profession to make their wages higher. Taking royal dumps on education is part of their resume, and the teachers union has been doing it finer than any republican could hope for.

A union exists for the benefit of its members? Oh lordy quick find me a faintin' couch.

A union exists for the benefit of its members? Oh lordy quick find me a faintin' couch.
    I think what he means is a Union exists to better the Union as an entity not necessarily its members.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2012-09-17 at 09:37 PM.