Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    So people are complaining the hardest content in the game is hard?
    No most people like the difficulty.

There are complaining that they are not fun, the rewards for them aren't great, and they current reward system overall is basically a massive grind comparable to Aion

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post
    No most people like the difficulty.

There are complaining that they are not fun, the rewards for them aren't great, and they current reward system overall is basically a massive grind comparable to Aion
    It's sad and funny at the same time how the game who marketed itself so much with having removed the grind is actually one of the grindiest MMOs out in the past few years at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    current reward system overall is basically a massive grind comparable to Aion
    Come on now this is completely disingenuous. I played Aion plenty and I liked it for the most part but there is a HUGE difference between it and GW2. in AION the grind was MANDATORY. You grinded to absolutely everything. LVLs took foever and every aspect of that game was a uphill climb. In GW2 sure there is time sinks / grinds in the form of dungeon sets and legendaries.. but.. wait for it... THEY ARE NOT NECESSARY AT ALL.

You can do any of GW2's content with out participating in any of this period.

Heaven forbid they wanted to make to attempt to make the legendaries .. oh I dont know legendary and somewhat rare. Dungeon sets are something to be aspired to and worked for. However here we have a generation spoiled on easymode instagratification MMO's who expect to be able to ding 80 and have everything they want in a week of minimal effort.

Sorry but im glad to see that they did what they did. When I get what set I want I will know the effort and patience it took to get it and it will make it all the sweeter (too me) for those who go all LOL thats stupid.. guess what? thats why the are OPTIONAL.

While I agree with some of the points that are being made in favor of the patch changes, one thing still really bothers me about dungeons. I still think it is a very bad idea that you have to farm the SAME explore mode dungeon over and over and over and over and over in order to get 1 specific set of gear that you may want. I can understand the grind is necessary for people to have something to do, but at least give us the option to run different dungeons and still allow us to work towards that same set of gear. Hell, they could have fixed the CoF thing along with some other dungeon issues by just setting a daily limit on how many times you can run each dungeon (story or explore mode). Make it something like 5 times a day per dungeon. No need to buff or nerf the content. Just set a limit. Why they didn't think of this is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Come on now this is completely disingenuous. I played Aion plenty and I liked it for the most part but there is a HUGE difference between it and GW2. in AION the grind was MANDATORY. You grinded to absolutely everything. LVLs took foever and every aspect of that game was a uphill climb. In GW2 sure there is time sinks / grinds in the form of dungeon sets and legendaries.. but.. wait for it... THEY ARE NOT NECESSARY AT ALL.
    I have no idea about Aion I never played it but the legendaries and dungeon sets are, at the very least, a very major part of the PVE end game and I don't think it's too far fetched that those items are THE goal for most PVE players. Sure you don't need them but then again you don't really absolutely need anything (which is a good thing) in GW2. Also I love how you try dismiss people who disagree with you as "easymode generation", well I have played games for about 20 years now and I don't need to pretend I ever actually enjoyed grinding and certainly have better things to do with my time these days.

Anyway more power to you if your idea of fun is running same dungeon around 50 times (and thats without the dimishing returns take into account) for one set of exotic dungeon armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Anyway more power to you if your idea of fun is running same dungeon around 50 times (and thats without the dimishing returns take into account) for one set of exotic dungeon armor.
    Im not by any means saying the system couldnt be improved but I am one of those people who enjoy long term goals in my games and appreciate something taking effort and time. If I could have it in a week it felt far less rewarding to me than something that I worked toward over a long period of time. That however is the best part in GW2 in other games a lot of these grinds where forced on you or at the very least expected. You need this set of gear to run the next tier you need this weapon to put up the best numbers and so on.

I appreciate just being able to play something to just play it again and enjoy the experience. The legendaries are the cherry on top and something I can slowly work toward over time. If everyone could bang one out in a weeks worth of fevered game play then they would be common and at that point far less desirable in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    I don't see how you come to that conclusion, all actual visible statistics point to your view being the minority.

That seems like a pretty illogical troll-like thing to say, arguing for the sake of arguing etc. Please be logical and/or express your opinion, don't make up silly stuff.
    Its a proven fact that folks that are unhappy with something are many times more likely to speak up about it than those that are happy about the same situation and those that are merely content are even less likely to say something. For every 1 person shouting for change there are dozens or hundreds that are just fine for the status qua and may not even be aware of of the discussion and are unlikely to care enough to respond even if they were. That is the core of the vocal minority concept. 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 opinions against a change on a forum thread is not indicative of the overall populations feelings as only those with very strong feelings on one side or the other every say a thing and those with a negative viewpoint tend to speak out more.

While I would definitely prefer a bit more bug testing on a fix of this nature I have no issues with the goal of the fix, only the bugs. I only rode the COF gravy train a few times and while it was quick money/tokens it felt like it was out of sync with the difficulty of other EX modes. Runing the same dungeon path over and over because it was the quickest and easiest by a wide margin is by definition as grindy as you can get. The goal is to have people runing a variety of paths and dungeons not spamming the same one over and over again.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Its a proven fact that folks that are unhappy with something are many times more likely to speak up about it than those that are happy about the same situation and those that are merely content are even less likely to say something. For every 1 person shouting for change there are dozens or hundreds that are just fine for the status qua and may not even be aware of of the discussion and are unlikely to care enough to respond even if they were. That is the core of the vocal minority concept. 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 opinions against a change on a forum thread is not indicative of the overall populations feelings as only those with very strong feelings on one side or the other every say a thing and those with a negative viewpoint tend to speak out more.

While I would definitely prefer a bit more bug testing on a fix of this nature I have no issues with the goal of the fix, only the bugs. I only rode the COF gravy train a few times and while it was quick money/tokens it felt like it was out of sync with the difficulty of other EX modes. Runing the same dungeon path over and over because it was the quickest and easiest by a wide margin is by definition as grindy as you can get. The goal is to have people runing a variety of paths and dungeons not spamming the same one over and over again.
    So you think the elitists are the majority in these games and not the casuals who will not be able to cope with the content?
    I enjoy challenging content that requires skill, I do not enjoy broken, buggy content, with places where npc ai is clearly not working, where the bugs force you to abandon runs over an hour into a dungeon. I am probably more in the elitist crowd skill wise, having quite a lot of time and being very dedicated to min/maxing, but I do not see normal people with average skill, especially those with full time jobs, enjoying this setup.

At the moment, the only goal they have succeded in is making it so most players will not run dungeons. They made 1 part in cof harder, which I assume they did not really playtest, but they also actually bugged an event to hell before it, making it very hardto even get to that point.

I can only assume that a lot of people commenting here are not yet 80 and have no yet done the cof run before and after have probably not attempted other explorable modes either.

The goal is for people to have fun, it is a video game, skill should be required, and the incentive needs to be put close enough that people will bother to play, but at the moment the explorable modes are insanely grindy and mostly broken being full of bugs.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2012-09-19 at 09:45 PM.