Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Honestly, linux is great for surfing and work (I do my HTML on it sometimes, use it at school cause it boots faster), but absolutely not for gaming.

If I may, why didn't you just save on other parts and got a license for windows with your computer (since you didn't want to pirate in the first place)? sometimes a shop will even sell you an OEM license (you'll have to ask, depends on the shop), which is way cheaper.

For windows 8...
    Only because it's cheaper. I'd recommend W7 over W8 any day (when talking real computers, it works fairly well on tablets). I'm not even gonna bother getting a free upgrade for my laptop.

Well, as I've stated - I will ask at my school tomorrow and see if they got some cheap version of win7, if they dont I'll just invest in a full version next month.

Thanks for all the feedback though! Learned something new from this Maybe I'll get Linux on my school computer (Is it possible to use the win7 I got on that laptop, and put it on my desktop? I guess I just need to find a code or something right?)

Sorry about my spelling etc, but I'm way to tired after working many hours on a huge art project... Designing our classroom ftw, so much for being a good student. EXTRA TASKS! Yey...

---------- Post added 2012-09-20 at 12:29 AM ----------

Well, as I've stated - I will ask at my school tomorrow and see if they got some cheap version of win7, if they dont I'll just invest in a full version next month.

Thanks for all the feedback though! Learned something new from this Maybe I'll get Linux on my school computer (Is it possible to use the win7 I got on that laptop, and put it on my desktop? I guess I just need to find a code or something right?)

Sorry about my spelling etc, but I'm way to tired after working many hours on a huge art project... Designing our classroom ftw, so much for being a good student. EXTRA TASKS! Yey...
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Well ok, I'll let Linux slip then ^^

And yes - that's what I want, stop being a pirate! So I gonna ask on my school tomorrow if it's any special offers for students
    Being in the networking program at my school allows me to download iso's of full versions of windows for free. free, full versions of windows. please look into what your school can offer you ^^ If I want a disc instead of downloading it its $10 plus shipping. No matter your major you should be able to get a deep discount and as others have said gaming on linux can be a coin flip. It will take some work on your part to get things running smoothly if at all. good luck to you !
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Seriously, dude?

You can get Windows 7 for like $50 online, let alone as a student.

I'm a broke college student too but I can afford to drop $50 for something I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    Seriously, dude?

You can get Windows 7 for like $50 online, let alone as a student.

I'm a broke college student too but I can afford to drop $50 for something I need.
    Well yes, I could most likely afford it. But as an art student I got alot of cost... Always some paint, canvas or something I need to have money for.. So if I spend my cash on software, and then I need money for a canvas for a school task and I dont got money I wont get a good result (As I have to paint/draw on some shitty other stuff.. :P)

But if the school dont got anything cheap I'll buy a full version, and spend what ever money it costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    I would disagree, most of the other companies make generic games for all platforms,
    All platforms that make money, ie. PC/PS3/X360/Wii ... Mac is rarity and linux don't happen.

Blizzard tends to make only PC games, as well WoW, Diablo, and Starcraft are iconic PC games
    That's because porting WoW to PS3 or X360 would be damn stupid. No mouse and no keyboard doesn't make very good MMORPG experience.

the source is from a twitter statement made by Rob Pardo, he doesn't actually say anything about linux, but agreed with Gabe Newell that W8 is bad for game developers
    Personal comments on twitter does not relate to company policy in any way. It's fashionable to whine about W8 before launch, but I have a feeling that many people will be eating their words in a year from now.

the main concern comes from the app store, there is a very justified concern that MS will lock down W8 and future versions of windows to only allow approved software purchased through the app store to be installed, and following the apple model, MS would get a 30% cut of every game sale
    Apple can do it because they control the hardware. Microsoft can't because they're only a software store, and it would cause immediate backlash from antitrust courts again. They wouldn't even try it. What MS is after is apps for WP8 and W8RT, everything else is a bonus.

the lack of linux support currently is due to the multitude of distros, but iirc Valve is doing current development with ubuntu 12.04 lts, and that would have to be the way to go, pick one main distro to officially support, and then tell everyone else they are on their own, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, most linux users use ubuntu, or an ubuntu derivative anyway
    Ubuntu's popularity is falling fast after all desktop debacles around Gnome3 and Unity and whatnot. Trying to build gaming platform around it without doing own fork isn't gonna work.

but if it comes down to it, i think blizzard would be able to make a fully functional openGL client
    WoW already has OpenGL renderer, but that's not the problem. What's wrong with gaming on linux is things like sound drivers (that seem to change every half year or so) and the asinine wars between shitty open source graphics drivers and mostly working closed graphics drivers.

considering that valve is now matching performance numbers of W7/DX in linux
    When both the graphics driver as well as the game are highly optimized together. That's far away from any kind of open usable platform. Every single game company would have to bow down to Valve and Source instead of Microsoft and DirectX if mainstream gaming would go that way. Don't really see it even remotely possible unless MS fucks up things really bad with W8.

it very well could be a huge market for game publishers
    That's assuming a lot. Linux has a culture around it of everything being free, even this thread is based on the choice between pirating windows and using free linux instead of it. You seriously think you can sell AAA games to that kind of crowd and make profit in same kind of numbers that the PC/PS3/X360 titles are moving off the shelf?

porting console games is a bit easier as well, the PS3 runs a custom linux firmware
    No. PS3 is considered to be the hardest console to make games for atm because of the silly CPU architecture. All game developers hate it, and there's a snowball's chance in hell that it has got any chance of being easily transferable to any other platform.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.