Chimera shot not hitting explosives from affix when targeted ?

Hello,

I play MM hunter since 9.0. levelled new char.

And this week there is explosives affix.

At first I played single target build but switched to aoe heavy build including chimera shot.

I played a lot of mythic plus dungeons but I felt like explosives are not dying as fast as I would like ...

Then I checked my dps meter for more informations and noticed chimera shot is not doing any damage to explosives.

I click on explosives and have it targeted, use chimera shot but it misses the explosives entirely it hits another two targets instead.

This looks certianly like a bug.

As far as I know, aoe and cleave abilites don't hit explosive orbs. Chimera shot is technically a cleave ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadrak View Post
    Hello,

I play MM hunter since 9.0. levelled new char.

And this week there is explosives affix.

At first I played single target build but switched to aoe heavy build including chimera shot.

I played a lot of mythic plus dungeons but I felt like explosives are not dying as fast as I would like ...

Then I checked my dps meter for more informations and noticed chimera shot is not doing any damage to explosives.

I click on explosives and have it targeted, use chimera shot but it misses the explosives entirely it hits another two targets instead.

This looks certianly like a bug.
    Well it is not really a bug. The explosions are made to not be hit by AoE abilities, which Chimaera shot is.
    Though that being said I would still urge you to report it as a bug, and hopefully Blizzard will allow Chimaera shot to hit if it is the main target.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Roship View Post
    As far as I know, aoe and cleave abilites don't hit explosive orbs. Chimera shot is technically a cleave ability.
    But how I am supposed to know that ? It says Chimera shot hits your PRIMARY target for 900dmg and secondary for 450.

When I spec for Chimera shot i have nothing else to kill explosives with.
    Aimed shot, steady shot too slow, rapid fire is a waste, and auto attacks are too slow also.

I understand if the SECONDARY effect doesnt cleave to explosives. But when you target it with mouse, the explosives, Chimera shot should hit it as primary target
    in my opinion.

Pure AoE abilities don't hit explosives, but targeted cleaves do. Stuff like Revenge, Heart Strike etc. They won't hit unless you target the explosive though, they changed this during Legion.

Chimera Shot not hitting, even if you target them seems like a bug or just an oversight. Worth a bug report either way.

But how I am supposed to know that ? It says Chimera shot hits your PRIMARY target for 900dmg and secondary for 450.

Aimed shot, steady shot too slow, rapid fire is a waste, and auto attacks are too slow also.

I understand if the SECONDARY effect doesnt cleave to explosives. But when you target it with mouse, the explosives, Chimera shot should hit it as primary target
    in my opinion.
    Arcane Shot?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    Arcane Shot?
    Yes I figured that one dont worry. I can use arcane shot and not spec for chimera shot...

But I said when I spec for chimera shot ...

Either way it makes hunters weaker if they cant spec for chimera shot in such situation ...

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    Arcane Shot?
    When you spec chimaera it replaces arcane shot

It is a bug for sure.
    Arcane shot is the only spell that allows MM's to nuke explosives.
    It can't be that when you spec into chimaera you have nothing to hit explosives with.
    Guys you need to take step back and take a look at every spec differently.
    It's enough if Chimaera hits only the explosive if you target it and 2nd shot can even be wasted, but this has to be fixed for MM's.

I can see that and I don't even play MM (I came from front page)

in my opinion.
    The demon hunter's Eye Beam does full damage to your primary target and half of that to the other targets. Does not hit explosive orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    It is a bug for sure.
    That is not a new thing or a bug. It's intended. Any ability that hits more than one target does not hit the explosive orbs, and Arcane Shot becomes an AE/Cleave ability when it turns into Chimera Shot.

For example: the warrior's Whirlwind (an AE ability) also casts Slam (a ST ability) when you have the talent Fervor of Battle. And the Slam doesn't hit the orbs, even if you have them targeted when you cast Whirlwind.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-10-25 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The demon hunter's Eye Beam does full damage to your primary target and half of that to the other targets. Does not hit explosive orbs.

That is not a new thing or a bug. It's intended. Any ability that hits more than one target does not hit the explosive orbs, and Arcane Shot becomes an AE/Cleave ability when it turns into Chimera Shot.

For example: the warrior's Whirlwind (an AE ability) also casts Slam (a ST ability) when you have the talent Fervor of Battle. And the Slam doesn't hit the orbs, even if you have them targeted when you cast Whirlwind.
    Problem is that as demon hunter you have other simple abilities to kill explosives. But MM hunter specced with Chimera shot doesnt.

Problem is that as demon hunter you have other simple abilities to kill explosives. But MM hunter specced with Chimera shot doesnt.
    pretty much every range class says hi

So either don't spec chim shot on explosive week or warn the group that you aren't able to hit them. This doesn't sound like a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    So either don't spec chim shot on explosive week or warn the group that you aren't able to hit them. This doesn't sound like a bug.
    But problem is that I didnt know about it, and other players may not know about it. They may find out later but its too late.

And that means its a wrong design.

Because you assume that things works logically and you make your game choice according to that. But this is not logical.

How can you make game choice in a game which has hidden rules which are not known ?

In other words, chimeara shot is great talent, it makes your arcane shot worse.
    Last edited by Wadrak; 2020-10-25 at 05:33 PM.

Please read my whole post

The defining difference when it comes to explosives (usually) is if the ability requires you to target the ability at a mob. When it comes to moonkins, Starfall will not hit explosive orbs because it's formerly ground-based AoE (not targeting specifically the orb) or player-centric AoE now. However, Sunfire will hit the orbs with its primary impact damage and not the secondary effect of putting Sunfire on surrounding targets, even though it's technically an AoE ability. Furthermore with the moonkin example, Sunfire and formerly Lunar Strike did not work on explosive orbs due to AoE flagging, but Blizz changed that eventually as the intent is any ability where you have to actually target the orb should kill the orb. When it comes to Chimera Shot, I'd put it in line with Lunar Strike / Starfire: it's technically an AoE cleave ability, but it should kill explosives if you cast it directly on the orb. Given the direction Blizz has gone with such things in the past, I'd surmise Chimera Shot should kill explosives, and is either an oversight or the ability is improperly flagged.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    How does this not sound like a bug to you?

If you TARGET the explosive and use Chimaera Shot, of course it should hit the orb with the primary components.
    This is clearly a bug. Any targeted damage ability should be able to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    When you spec chimaera it replaces arcane shot

It is a bug for sure.
    It can't be that when you spec into chimaera you have nothing to hit explosives with.
    Guys you need to take step back and take a look at every spec differently.
    It's enough if Chimaera hits only the explosive if you target it and 2nd shot can even be wasted, but this has to be fixed for MM's.

I can see that and I don't even play MM (I came from front page)
    Interesting. Chimera Shot doesn't replace Arcane Shot for BM spec. I had never specced into it as MM before.

Eye beam is not a targeted ability. It requires no target to cast. It wouldn't require you to actually click / tab to the orb to kill it.
    Chimaera Shot IS a targeted ability, ergo it should work.

Also a different situation. The slam PROCs off the whirlwind, it's a proc, not a direct damage ability. As for whirlwind that, much like eye beam is not a targeted ability (as in you don't need to have a target to cast whirlwind, it auto cleave anything).

Two entirely different abilities / cases.

If you want to compare Chimaera Shot to anything, compare it to Heart Strike. Heart Strike is the exact same mechanic. A targeted ability that cleaves to secondary targets.
    Heart Strike DOES kill orbs.

We can go on about this forever, but this is clearly a bug; if what the OP says is true that is, i haven't personally tested it.

Seems like a weird bug since I'm like 99% sure you can cast multishot while targeting an explosive orb and hit it.