Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Country to study in

Hey guys,
    I graduated and plan to apply for this Spring semester. Question:
    Which European country is cheap, studentish, is modern and is fun? I live in Germany and I hate it. My first choice is France. Any other ideas?
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU

If you want cheap Sweden and Norway are totally out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    If you want cheap Sweden and Norway are totally out of the question.
    I was planning on max 50 grand a year. I prefer stuff to be cheap so I spend less.
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Come to Australia mate! Beautiful babes, beaches and bays

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omidmash View Post
    I was planning on max 50 grand a year. I prefer stuff to be cheap so I spend less.
    Wow, if I had 50 grands a year, I would go to Harvard or something xD

I willl spend roundabout 10 grand a year for studying in Hamburg (with flat and everything).

Quote Originally Posted by Volumes View Post
    Come to Australia mate! Beautiful babes, beaches and bays
    Yes, come to Australia, we DARE you! nah just stirring :P
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Hey guys,
    Which European country is cheap, studentish, is modern and is fun? I live in Germany and I hate it. My first choice is France. Any other ideas?
    Netherlands.

Groningen is "studentish" and the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen is a pretty good and reputable university.

Student life is nothing like in Germany... you hang out with almost everybody from your course, everything is close together and the nightlife is cool, too. The city is full from monday to sunday evey day and night.

Groningen is also the safest town in The Netherlands, the bike friendliest one, and the one with the lowest average age in NL. People in Groningen are also considered to be the tallest people on average in Europe.

The downside is that the rents are pretty high and the dutch do not really have a good food culture if thats important to you. You will also encounter some trouble with the search for quality apartements. Most of the inner city apartements are shitty as hell and nowhere near German standard quality. However, outside of the center you might find some really good and cheap ones.

Consider it.

ps.: I can survive and do shit all day long with 1000€ per month, rent and food included.

France is cool (mainly Paris, if you want a real university) but we seem to be unable to build a proper campus. They just suck.

15+ Year Old Account
    like staytuned said, go Netherlands, also english is a quite common spoken language here too.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Netherlands.

Groningen is "studentish" and the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen is a pretty good and reputable university.

Student life is nothing like in Germany... you hang out with almost everybody from your course, everything is close together and the nightlife is cool, too. The city is full from monday to sunday evey day and night.

Groningen is also the safest town in The Netherlands, the bike friendliest one, and the one with the lowest average age in NL. People in Groningen are also considered to be the tallest people on average in Europe.

The downside is that the rents are pretty high and the dutch do not really have a good food culture if thats important to you. You will also encounter some trouble with the search for quality apartements. Most of the inner city apartements are shitty as hell and nowhere near German standard quality. However, outside of the center you might find some really good and cheap ones.

Consider it.

ps.: I can survive and do shit all day long with 1000€ per month, rent and food included.
    I can second this. Groningen is an excellent place if you want good education, a lot of students, and a nice overall experience.

However if you want more cultural activities, more exposure to all kinds of cultures and experiences I would recommend Amsterdam.
    The housemarket is complete and utter BS, because of the competition with expats. You will however encounter a lot of different kinds
    of people, there is always something to do, and people in general are really friendly towards foreigners (except cabdrivers).

50 grands of what?

If you want cheap it would probably be in Eastern Europe. If you want something in Scandinavia it should be Sweden as Sweden is the "poor" country up here.

Really i think you should just pick the place you want to go and then check out the prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweden the "poor" country? what? :O

If you're coming from a € country, then Sweden is really not in any way cheap right now. Used to be some years ago that stuff in Sweden and Finland was roughly similarly priced, but with the lowered value of the € vs the Swedish Krona the last couple of years, everything in Sweden is absurdly more expensive right now, even when compared to Finland (which is in no way a cheap country to live in :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,
    My buddy Dave had a great time studying at Tartu University in Estonia. That's probably pretty cheap.

Estonia is definitely a very modern country, with a solid high tech education program (it's where Skype was created), but is still a very inexpensive place to live compared to most Western European countries. The only thing is there's always the minor threat of Russian invasion.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-09-20 at 03:43 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    My buddy Dave had a great time studying at Tartu University in Estonia. That's probably pretty cheap.

Estonia is definitely a very modern country, with a solid high tech education program, but is still a very inexpensive place to live compared to most Western European countries. The only thing is there's always the minor threat of Russian invasion.
    Estonia is expensive? Thats not what I hear...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Estonia is expensive? Thats not what I hear...
    I said inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I said inexpensive.
    Well... eahm... English isnt my main language so i am off the hook!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Well... eahm... English isnt my main language so i am off the hook!
    I'd never try to hook a Dane!

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd go to Spain, and be close to Ibiza.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Sweden the "poor" country? what? :O

If you're coming from a € country, then Sweden is really not in any way cheap right now. Used to be some years ago that stuff in Sweden and Finland was roughly similarly priced, but with the lowered value of the € vs the Swedish Krona the last couple of years, everything in Sweden is absurdly more expensive right now, even when compared to Finland (which is in no way a cheap country to live in :P)
    Appriciation of the SEK, it's a bitch. I hope it doesn't grow too strong.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Finland without a doubt. Mostly free (some courses might cost but majority is still free) university education for foreigners even from outside the Schengen area, so it doesn't really matter if the living costs are higher than for example eastern Europe.