Building a new PC -- Need some advice/assistance

First off, it's been a long time since I've even looked at hardware. Back when I built my first PC 120gb HDDs were decently sized, now not so much.

Before I begin, I have a mouse, monitor, and a keyboard. I plan on upgrading the mouse and keyboard at a later date, but those are easy to pick/upgrade so I'm not worried about that.

Here is what I am leaning towards. I mostly need advice on if these all "mesh" together or not. I believe they will all work together, I just don't really know if I should be getting these things together or if I should be evening some of them out. One thing I question is the CPU (we'll get into that later on). I don't know if I need the one I picked or one that is slightly less money but still looks as if it would perform just fine.

Now, as for what I am going to do with this PC: I program (some) (C#, PHP, HTML, etc), play games, and watch shows/movies/streams from Netflix/Twitch/etc. THe games I'm currently playing that are even remotely "intense" (probably not the word for it, but whatever) are GW2, Firefall, Diablo 3, Magicka, and I'd like to try out Planetside 2 when it comes out. I don't really care about max settings (it would be nice in some cases), so that's not really a priority.

As for budget, I'd like to stay around $700-$800. If worse comes to worse I'll be picking up pieces that go above this at a later date.

Finally, I currently have an old graphics card that I would like to attempt to use. I have no idea if I can run any of the previously mentioned games with it as it sits in my old PC (I currently use a laptop, which is less than ideal in some cases). It, I believe, is an XFX GeForce 6800. Totally not sold anymore, and probably not even that good anyways. If you don't think this will allow me to play GW2 (my primary focus right now), then I'm up for suggestions.

Anyways, here's what I have selected:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz or should I use this instead? $100 less, but possible just fine?
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

I should probably mention that the mobo is some combo thing (here). SO if that case won't work I can swap it out to something different.

Plus a decently reviewed DVD Drive. Or anything you guys suggest. I'm game for a burner, but I don't really need it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I would suggest going for i5-3570k or i5-2500k instead, the i7-3770 is only good for applications that can use HT, so rendering, simulations and stuff like that.
    Geforce 6800 probably wont allow you to even fire up GW2 sadly, I would suggest going for either hd 7850 from ati or gtx 560 ti from nvidia since you are on a budget.
    The parts you've chosen will fit together, but I would suggest going for 500W ish PSU just to give some upgrade room.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Graphic card wise ill suggest the HD 7770 its quite cheaper then the 7850, not as powerfull but it might still be a better fit to your budget and it runs gw2 well!

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

I was thinking about this GFX card. Is it decent?

Or should I go for this 7770?

Quote Originally Posted by septor View Post
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

I was thinking about this GFX card. Is it decent?

Or should I go for this 7770?
    Agree with those above RE: i5 2500 instead of the i7-3770. Save the $$$ and get yourself a SSD drive instead (or better gfx card).

550 TI is about on par with the 7770, even outperforms it in some tests. But it uses nearly 2x as much power as the 7770.

Frankly, with the savings you'll get from the processor, you could jump up to the next tier of gfx cards. It's the best bang for your buck in terms of investment. Refer here for some good info: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

Also, don't skimp on the monitor. I see people all the time build these great rigs, and then turn around and get a crappy 20" monitor. Get a good monitor, as big as possible. Your eyes will love you for it.
    Last edited by jason1975; 2012-09-20 at 08:51 PM.

Deleted
    That 550Ti is rubbish, its on par if not even worse than what you're currently having.

As suggested above i'd go with either a Radeon HD7850 or recently released GeForce 660.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    Also, don't skimp on the monitor. I see people all the time build these great rigs, and then turn around and get a crappy 20" monitor. Get a good monitor, as big as possible. Your eyes will love you for it.
    It's on the to buy list, but not a priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by enzity View Post
    That 550Ti is rubbish, its on par if not even worse than what you're currently having.

As suggested above i'd go with either a Radeon HD7850 or recently released GeForce 660.

Like this?