Poll: Do you think Apple is starting to take it's user-base for granted?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

iOS6 Terrible Maps - Is it the start of Apple taking its users for granted?

So I updated to iOS6. To have a play with 3D view I tried to map the way from work to home (normally a 15-20 minutes walk). Apparently it now takes 1.2 hours in a car.
    The internet is already full of hate about iOS6 Apple maps.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19659736

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

The bigger problem is that Apple had built a reputation on releasing quality products. These maps however are utter shitpile. How such a big company could allow for such a terrible product to be released is beyond me.
    Maps are integral to many of our day to day usage. Many people rely on maps for business and travel and personal stuff and this terrible Apple 'map' will cause a lot of discomfort to people.

I wonder if Apple has finally gotten so big that it thinks it can get away with releasing shit because people will buy no matter what Apple throws at them?
    Surely, people inside Apple knew what the maps look like and how terrible they are before this made it out. The fact that this was released is probably the start of Apple starting to take its customers for granted. I for one can not wait for my contract to run out and move over to android (I have more reasons but the maps was the final straw).

Do you think apple is starting to take customers for granted?
    Last edited by igame; 2012-09-20 at 11:45 PM.

I thought apple had built a reputation of stealing others ideas throwing an apple logo on it and suing them for it. Apple has been at the point where they can release whatever they want a long time ago, even more so with the recent legal victory vs samsung. So no I don't think they are starting to take customers for granted I feel they have been for a long time.

Personally I think any branded company world known or even nationally, has already passed that point. I mean they got that big because people will keep buying their product. Take the iphone for example, how often does that thing get updated and virtually still be the same product. I bet most people just looking at the phone face with each of its predecessors could not tell one from the other. Or another example would be a blind taste test with product brand A, B and C most people wouldn't know what belonged to what. Yet you through the label on, and look out it's fanboy wars.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the issue is that Google was pulling out whether or not Apple was ready for it, so Apple came out with its own program. Not having been in continuous operation for like a decade, obviously the Apple system and database isn't as strong as the Google one. It'll improve as time goes by, but yeah, it's not up to Apple's usual quality standards.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with the map function? I have not seen it in action in RL yet, but I have seen demonstration of it and it looks awesome.

So... what you are saying is that people buy Apple for the Apple logo and the esteem that goes with it, and not for the quality of their product.

Whoa, what new and fascinating revelation there OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    well they can use google maps technology but they might get sued

Not being partial to either camp, what Apple does is take existing ideas and refines them. They refine them to a point that makes people want the product, it is user friendly, and it works quite well.

For instance, the way way that multitasking works in iOS is very similar to DOS 6.22. Age old, retired technology, reinvigorated and now used on a number of different items for Apple. It provides greater security in the fact that programs are essentially sandboxed and will not drain battery faster as with ANY Android phone.

As for Apple patenting items, the issue is not with Apple, it is with the USPTO. They are the ones that examine and choose whether or nor to grant the patents. Not going to launch into where all of this started to go wrong but I promise that if someone figures out how to patent the processes needed for breathing, they will be submitting and if it get granted then they will be charging everyone for it.

Until patent laws are changed, it is in companies best interest to patent as many IP's as possible. They have every right to protect them as you have the right to protect your own property. The bottom line is that there are a lot of flawed systems at work in all of this, mainly the patent office and the judicial system.

As to answer the poll; Yes, Apple Maps suck right now. A lot of growing pains goes into a huge undertaking like this. I am not making excuses or apologizing for Apple and I do think they should have continued to use Google for their mapping program for at least another year until they could have made more adjustments and corrections to their new program. It will be interesting to see what happens from here and I am personally hoping that Google decides to submit a stand-alone Maps for iOS.

---------- Post added 2012-09-20 at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    well they can use google maps technology but they might get sued
    they won't get sued by Google. It doesn't make any financial sense for Google not to have Maps on iOS regardless if it is wrapped in a Google container (program) or an Apple container.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Apple has finally gotten so big that it thinks it can get away with releasing shit because people will buy no matter what Apple throws at them?
    This line exactly. As if their crazy prices for attaching a logo to random stuff weren't enough of a hint.

It's the start of Apple learning how to make a Maps app. Which of course results in a far worse app than Google's established version.

Deleted
    Does anyone even an idea how hard it is to make your own mapping service from scratch? Google maps took 10 years.

Apple did theirs in 2 years, so It's PRETTY MUCH LOGICAL it will take time to be fully functional and it's not perfect yet.

If you really care that much about navigation don't be cheap and buy a navigation app or gps unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    This line exactly. As if their crazy prices for attaching a logo to random stuff weren't enough of a hint.
    For their "crazy" prices, I have never had an Apple product fail on me. Not to say it doesn't happen but there is a reason why they have a high customer satisfaction rating. I would gladly pay a small premium for better quality and US based customer service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe it's basically one of their main selling points for the iPhone 5, just like the horrible Siri (I never use it/her).
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Does anyone even an idea how hard it is to make your own mapping service from scratch? Google maps took 10 years.

Apple did theirs in 2 years, so It's PRETTY MUCH LOGICAL it will take time to be fully functional and it's not perfect yet.

If you really care that much about navigation don't be cheap and buy a navigation app or gps unit.
    The sound of a textbook fanboi or sarcasm?

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    What's wrong with the map function? I have not seen it in action in RL yet, but I have seen demonstration of it and it looks awesome.
    Yes the demonstration was all that matters. Tons of people and major news outlets calling the maps garbage are wrong. Oh sweet logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post

That's a really poor excuse.

"Well it only makes sense that ours is inferior. But we're still going to replace the superior product with something that's LOGICALLY worse, because fuck the consumers".

I pretty much decided I am done getting Apple's products when they came out with a new more expensive charger for no reason for the iphone 5. Next time I upgrade my phone it will be an Android or Samsung, the only problem with this is some of the apps I already have might not work with it, even though my 4s should last me a while.

Thanks for telling me this though no way I will upgrade my phone to iOS6.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post

It's just extremely buggy and poorly made (not to start apple bashing).

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Apologies, I don't keep up with Apple news. Is there a reason why they couldn't use Google maps?

Android = Google = Competition, Google Maps = Google, Apple = Silly.
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2012-09-21 at 02:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apologies, I don't keep up with Apple news. Is there a reason why they couldn't use Google maps?

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped reading at the word quality. Apple isn't quality. It's just shiny. That's why people buy it. It looks appealing. They use hardware manufactured in Taiwan in 2004 for their computers.

Granted I hate Apple with a burning passion. However:

This is a brand piece of software. It is going to have it's problems. Especially in smaller locales.

But I will give them credit from trying to get away from Google (Android) their number one competitor. However most of the things Apple created to combat other wll known and popular apps have flunked. (Remember the Apple social network? LOL)

Also, did they even test this software? I don't even know.