Deleted

I know where a missing person is

A very good friend of mine (16 years old) and his GF (14) ran away tuesday. The GF gets abused hard by her parents (not sexually) and she already talked to people to help her but nothing gets done. So she ran away. And my friend followed her to keep her safe. They ran away with a good 1000 euro and are heading to southern france (from belgium) to stay with a friend. I thought it wouldn't get this bad so i kept quiet. But they are missing for 4 days now and I know their exact location but I promised i wouldnt tell anyone. They are all over facebook, childfocus, the news, etc. I really dont know what to do

As long as you know they're safe, leave it to them to decide whether to come back and reveal their location.

10+ Year Old Account
    A tough predicament. I would keep them secret if she is truly being abused. Her parents may care enough to want her back home, but if things go back to where she's abused again, what would've been the point of revealing them and violating the trust your friends have in you?

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a reward? Turn them in for the reward! JOIN THE DARK SIDE!

Deleted
    Im pretty sure every adult will give u advice to tell the police. She gains nothing by running like this. More likely troubles to education and ever stand herself at life. Childcare will take close eye on this after stunt like that so fosterfamily coming prolly, if she is truly getting abused hard. 1000 euro and age of 14 wont get her far...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    A very good friend of mine (16 years old) and his GF (14) ran away tuesday. The GF gets abused hard by her parents (not sexually) and she already talked to people to help her but nothing gets done. So she ran away. And my friend followed her to keep her safe. They ran away with a good 1000 euro and are heading to southern france (from belgium) to stay with a friend. I thought it wouldn't get this bad so i kept quiet. But they are missing for 4 days now and I know their exact location but I promised i wouldnt tell anyone. They are all over facebook, childfocus, the news, etc. I really dont know what to do
    I'd consider calling your friend and suggesting they talk to child protective services.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I would report them b4 something bad happens to them, there are bad people everywhere and they can see the 2 of them are an easy target. Most likely her running away should convince authorities the problems at home are bad enough to do something about it (hopefully enyways).

Still i would prefer knowing my friends are safe then "on the run"

I know a lot of people here are going to say "leave them be!" "let her make her own decisions!" and I understand that completely. Her running away to prove a point probably was the best thing she could've done. But she needs to go home or to the police. From what you say her parents pretty much are terrible but if that was my kid I would want someone to find her for me.

I'd tell someone (the authorities) because it's causing a panic. Thousands of dollars are being used trying to locate the girl and you are sitting on information that can lead to her whereabouts. In America, I'm pretty sure that's illegal (witholding information maybe?). You may end up catching some flack yourself if you aren't careful...

I think it's pretty obvious what you need to do: a) call the police, b) tell them where she is and c) tell them she is being abused

EDIT: it seems posters here are much smarter than I originally gave them credit for! Sorry guys/gals, I'm just used to kids saying that they can handle themselves when most of the time they clearly cannot. Tell someone for sure!!
    Last edited by dangelo37; 2012-09-21 at 03:42 PM.

Tough situation. Talk to your runaway friends or even parents at the very least for advice. Depending on the situation you may also look at contacting the police. Let them know they are somewhere safe, the reasons behind the running away, etc. When it hits the news like that it means a lot of people are worried and the police are spending time and hours which can be used in other areas. It's just not about your friends anymore.

Running away is just a temporary solution not a permanent one.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an unfortunate situation for anyone to be in, and I'm sorry that you have to be. That said, it's better that you speak to the authorities than try for advice here on a forum. I would hate to see wrong legal advice be handed out and your situation get any worse than it is.